...THE THING ABOUT FACEBOOK...

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Clownman727

Clownman727 Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers

Facebook coral auctions are out of control. I just watched an acropora frag sell for $70 and about two weeks ago the same coral from the same seller sold for $400. How can anyone determine a fair price with these types of shenanigans going on?!!!!!

WnYreefer likes this.

2. Mael

Mael Bridgeburner R2R Supporter

no such thing as a fair price on frags like that, its the combo of how low the seller wants to go at the time and how much the buyer wants it right then. Just from LFS to LFS and then compared to online similar frags vary by great amounts.

As to the subject I definitely find good uses on FB but at the same time I can get FB overload very easily with all the crap on there. I try to keep it simple, basic friend communication, local events(beer/foodtruck fests) and checking local reef pages occasionally. Id say any time you go on facebook what you are looking for is only 3% of what you actually see on there.

Adele and Battlecorals like this.
  3. Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I dropped my fb account a couple years ago. What surprised me was how much extra time I found in the day.

Here's the thing with fb...for those of you old enough when the internet just started to become popular, people would forward emails and for the most part they were obnoxious. Sometimes funny, but usually obnoxious....how is that any different than liking and sharing?

DSC reef, Battlecorals and Adele like this.
  4. Adele

Adele I don't sing R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I find that each time I go to FB I’m enraged, disgusted or hopelessly apathetic regarding most posts. Then ask out loud to anyone listening “why do I even look at this stuff?!” As I transfer my angst to carelessly throwing my phone onto the coffee table. What I should do is be and have no “friends”.Keep sites like my LFS who posts incoming livestock which is relevant and be done with all the rest.

5. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Well I am certainly glad I'm not the only one then. I honestly was not sure how this one would go.

ndrwater, Adele and DSC reef like this.
  6. swk

swk Well-Known Member

I just saw that you and your wife have only been “friends” for 3 years for Christ’s sake..

Battlecorals likes this.
  7. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I follow real life friends and stores that I like to shop at.
    For those of you who are unhappy with what you see on your Facebook feed.... You know you can "unfollow" people to stay friends day with them, but not show posts on your news feed? Facebook actually gives people a lot of control over what they are seeing on their feed imo.

8. jolt

jolt Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've unfollowed several people when I couldn't take it anymore. In general, I think the controls they give you to control advertising and suggested posts are pretty weak. My feed is way too cluttered with stuff that has nothing to do with my friends.

DSC reef likes this.
  9. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Tank Mechanic R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm finally glad to see a vendor who isn't engulfed in facebook. I haven't had a facebook in almost 12 years, and I hate facebook with a passion. So when vendors say "Like us on facebook for an entry to win blah blah blah" it really upsets me. Not everyone wants or likes facebook. And so those who have spent ample amounts of money with a company are excluded from a prize drawing because they refuse to get sucked into social media, it just gets me worked up.

domination2580, Maacc, swk and 2 others like this.
  10. Battlecorals

Ha! right on. Totally with you. I actually did one of those and the goal was 5k likes, still haven't hit it. lol.

DSC reef, Crabs Mcjones and swk like this.
  11. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

You're about 8 years behind. FB was dead around 2010-12 for the non-olds.

Once the parents are on it, the kids are off it. They just keep it around so they don't get yelled at for not accepting grandmas friend request.

Tahoe61 likes this.
  12. hatfielj

hatfielj Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I've intentionally abandoned all social media. I think it's bad for society as a whole. It's not a social thing to do. People are more concerned with taking selfies and posting them on their wall or instagram account then they are with actually saying hello to one another and being present in whatever moment they're in. I encourage everyone to drop facebook and instagram. Be social, reject "social" media.

ithk21620 likes this.
  13. Battlecorals

Ha! yeah your probably right on that one

Draft saved Draft deleted