- Joined
- Jun 25, 2026
- Messages
- 581
- Reaction score
- 737
- Location
- Minnesota
- What state or country do you live in
- Minnesota
Starting a new tank thread for my tiny 40 ounce reef aquarium. I had it up and running for several months until I accidentally broke one of the tubes and had to get a replacement display (PNW graciously sent it for free). So unfortunately I am starting over from scratch.
I’m planning on a tiny mixed reef with zoas - since they are the perfect size - and a few other random corals like Pocillopora and maybe some mushrooms. Not sure yet.
I’ve been soaking the rock and added Seachem Stability and a tiny shrimp pellet and an air stone to hopefully give the biological filtration a head start. I did the same with the sand. I don’t know if it was a waste of time but hopefully I successfully made my own “live sand”.
(ignore the neonitro in the photo, didn’t use that)
Anything that outgrows the tank will be transferred to one of my larger ones so I have a backup plan.
Today is day one with adding a few corals I picked up from Tidal Gardens R2R sale this past weekend.
Kung Fu Fighter Zoas & a Camo Pocillopora
I will eventually glue them down but for now I just set the frags on the rock/sand.
Follow along to see how my tiny tank evolves
I’m planning on a tiny mixed reef with zoas - since they are the perfect size - and a few other random corals like Pocillopora and maybe some mushrooms. Not sure yet.
I’ve been soaking the rock and added Seachem Stability and a tiny shrimp pellet and an air stone to hopefully give the biological filtration a head start. I did the same with the sand. I don’t know if it was a waste of time but hopefully I successfully made my own “live sand”.

(ignore the neonitro in the photo, didn’t use that)
Anything that outgrows the tank will be transferred to one of my larger ones so I have a backup plan.
Today is day one with adding a few corals I picked up from Tidal Gardens R2R sale this past weekend.
Kung Fu Fighter Zoas & a Camo Pocillopora
I will eventually glue them down but for now I just set the frags on the rock/sand.
Follow along to see how my tiny tank evolves


