The Tiniest Tank Build

PolypPocket

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
600
Reaction score
762
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new tank thread for my tiny 40 ounce reef aquarium. I had it up and running for several months until I accidentally broke one of the tubes and had to get a replacement display (PNW graciously sent it for free). So unfortunately I am starting over from scratch.

20261007_114022_613F101C-5BC2-4A19-A486-7C60C123F092.png


I’m planning on a tiny mixed reef with zoas - since they are the perfect size - and a few other random corals like Pocillopora and maybe some mushrooms. Not sure yet.

I’ve been soaking the rock and added Seachem Stability and a tiny shrimp pellet and an air stone to hopefully give the biological filtration a head start. I did the same with the sand. I don’t know if it was a waste of time but hopefully I successfully made my own “live sand”. 😁
(ignore the neonitro in the photo, didn’t use that)

Anything that outgrows the tank will be transferred to one of my larger ones so I have a backup plan.

20261007_114935_B98BA38F-A1F2-44FC-8E0C-D07037679FB7.png


Today is day one with adding a few corals I picked up from Tidal Gardens R2R sale this past weekend.

Kung Fu Fighter Zoas & a Camo Pocillopora

20261007_115313_9DCF4839-C84F-47A2-9329-DFDB8C724DDE.png


I will eventually glue them down but for now I just set the frags on the rock/sand.

Follow along to see how my tiny tank evolves 🙂
 
looks good already!
I'm thinking about getting one myself so I will definitely be following along 😁
Yes do it!! They’re so fun. You have to do maintenance a little more often (like changing filter floss twice a week or topping off with freshwater every few days) but it takes like 2 seconds.
 
These tiny tanks are intriguing! Following to see how this goes 🙂
 
This tiny tank has a tiny sump? Amazing! Maybe you put a tiny light in the sump and make a little refugium of chaeto?
Yes! I bought a tiny light for it and was thinking of doing exactly that. My only problem is I ran out of outlets haha. I have my bigger tank set up right next to it and there are like a bazillion things I have plugged in.
 
It looks great! Makes me want to setup a tiny tank too 😁
I highly recommend it! I started out with this one and that got me into doing larger ones. I mean the others are still nano sized but not microscopic like this one 😂
 
Starting a new tank thread for my tiny 40 ounce reef aquarium. I had it up and running for several months until I accidentally broke one of the tubes and had to get a replacement display (PNW graciously sent it for free). So unfortunately I am starting over from scratch.

20261007_114022_613F101C-5BC2-4A19-A486-7C60C123F092.png


I’m planning on a tiny mixed reef with zoas - since they are the perfect size - and a few other random corals like Pocillopora and maybe some mushrooms. Not sure yet.

I’ve been soaking the rock and added Seachem Stability and a tiny shrimp pellet and an air stone to hopefully give the biological filtration a head start. I did the same with the sand. I don’t know if it was a waste of time but hopefully I successfully made my own “live sand”. 😁
(ignore the neonitro in the photo, didn’t use that)

Anything that outgrows the tank will be transferred to one of my larger ones so I have a backup plan.

20261007_114935_B98BA38F-A1F2-44FC-8E0C-D07037679FB7.png


Today is day one with adding a few corals I picked up from Tidal Gardens R2R sale this past weekend.

Kung Fu Fighter Zoas & a Camo Pocillopora

20261007_115313_9DCF4839-C84F-47A2-9329-DFDB8C724DDE.png


I will eventually glue them down but for now I just set the frags on the rock/sand.

Follow along to see how my tiny tank evolves 🙂
I think these small tanks are totally adorable!
 
We have one of these PNW tanks as well and love ours! We shut it down after we moved, but it was a really fun tank to have up and running
 
I am probably wrong about this, but the first ones look like fruit loops to me. Either way great looking build

I mean it’s possible. The color isn’t really accurate in the photo I took though.

This is what I purchased (for $8!!!! so even if it’s wrong I’m good lol)
20261010_161006_04A39F62-0F03-4222-95DD-277A245BE4D5.png
 
I am probably wrong about this, but the first ones look like fruit loops to me. Either way great looking build

I mean it’s possible. The color isn’t really accurate in the photo I took though.

This is what I purchased (for $8!!!! so even if it’s wrong I’m good lol)
20261010_161006_04A39F62-0F03-4222-95DD-277A245BE4D5.png
Yeah that is a great deal. Wish I could find that good of deals at my lfs. Every coral is basically 50 dollars there, even like pulsing Xenia and gsp
 
I am probably wrong about this, but the first ones look like fruit loops to me. Either way great looking build

I mean it’s possible. The color isn’t really accurate in the photo I took though.

This is what I purchased (for $8!!!! so even if it’s wrong I’m good lol)
20261010_161006_04A39F62-0F03-4222-95DD-277A245BE4D5.png
Yeah that is a great deal. Wish I could find that good of deals at my lfs. Every coral is basically 50 dollars there, even like pulsing Xenia and gsp
Wow that’s crazy! I’m not going to lie most of the corals are really expensive at this place. But they had some sort of anniversary sale and had some really good deals on a few things.
 
Well, I don’t have any other lfs near me that are good, most of them don’t even know what a zoa is compared to something like a Goni or pagoda cup. But, every coral I have got from them has thrived so I don’t complain much
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new