The "Uglies"...how long did you have them?

How long was you tank up and running before the "Uglies" disappeared?

• 1-2 months

Votes: 73 20.0%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 91 24.9%
  • 5-6 months

Votes: 68 18.6%
  • 7-8 months

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • 9-10 months

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • 11-12 months

Votes: 36 9.9%
  • 13-18 months

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • 19-24 months

Votes: 21 5.8%

• Total voters

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in month 8 of the uglies and I'm getting worried/frustrated/pi$$ed off. Most of all, I'm wondering if my situation is normal. I've seen posts that say it's common to have the Uglies in the first year. So, how long did you have them?

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I started two nanos at the same time. Nearly identical setups -other than lighting and sand. One was beautiful, the other never left the ugly. Nine months in I took down the lagging tank. It also just depends on what kinda uglies you are having. Some things can be remedied others have "longer lasting" issues. An infestation of aptasia, flatworms, and an algae that has some sort of anchoring system and you are into the uglies for a longer haul.

What do you got goin' on?? In your first year they should come and go. Things like coraline algae help a lot with keeping other algae off the rocks.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I started two nanos at the same time. Nearly identical setups -other than lighting and sand. One was beautiful, the other never left the ugly. Nine months in I took down the lagging tank. It also just depends on what kinda uglies you are having. Some things can be remedied others have "longer lasting" issues. An infestation of aptasia, flatworms, and an algae that has some sort of anchoring system and you are into the uglies for a longer haul.

What do you got goin' on?? In your first year they should come and go. Things like coraline algae help a lot with keeping other algae off the rocks.
I have some coralline growing, although most of my rock is covered in cyano/dinos. I also have a very small amount of bubble algae in my DT but I grow it profusely in my sump (I pull out handfuls of it every week or two). I have a black spiney urchin, which are known to chomp on coralline, although I've not seen him do it.

My corals are generally not in great shape. I have some zoos, a torch and a riccordia that are petty healthy. I also have two rock flower anemones that seem very happy.

Other corals that I've attempted (favias, acroporas, green slimers, some zoas, etc.) are dead or dying.

The bottom line is....UGLINESS

I am very careful about regular water changes (20% every other week). I used to do them weekly but my nitrates and phosphorous were zero, so I'm trying to decrease my nutrient export.

My water parameters are as follows:
Salinity 1.0126
Alk 11.0
Calcium 525
Nitrates 3
Phosphorous 17
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Mg 1500

I dose BRS 2 part, Mg, Red Sea Coral Colors. I'd say my parameters are pretty stable because I use an Apex and am very careful to follow my maintenance schedule. I'll post some pictures later.

ZachH455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sand was the only difference, assuming all water conditions/sources are the same, I'm thinking you're leeching something from the sand. I had a similar issue where I purchased dry rock 50/50 from Marco's Rocks and Reef Cleaners. The Marco's Rocks grew algae for substantially longer than the Reef Cleaners rocks. Both subsided after 6-8 months of 'the uglies'.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've had uglies since my tank started, almost 3 years now. Cyano, bryopsis, Green Hair algae, Bubble algae and Diatoms.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, clarification....Salinity is 1.026sg/35ppt.
Side note: If your phosphates are really 17, that's your problem. They need to be 0 to .1 at the most.
I use the Hanna ULR checker, so 17 is parts per billion

image.png

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in month 8 of the uglies and I'm getting worried/frustrated/pi$$ed off. Most of all, I'm wondering if my situation is normal. I've seen posts that say it's common to have the Uglies in the first year. So, how long did you have them?
8 month uglies are normal. My dry rock tank has been getting the uglies off and on for over 2 years now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back