Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the responses---

"Why do you not want it to transition?"

I have a super male Rhomboid in my display and was thinking of trying a female with him.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses---

"Why do you not want it to transition?"

I have a super male Rhomboid in my display and was thinking of trying a female with him.

Hi Ed , well you can get smaller females but I won't get anything less than 3 . If you have a super male , you never know how it will react to females . Having more will disperse the aggression .
Lastly , in my experience trying to pair wrasses like Cirrhilabrus species never work long term . They will turn males someday or the rather - may be in a month may be in 5 years ... I always try and keep one specimen of a species . Ofcoarse am novice so take my advice with a grain of salt .
@evolved and @eatbreakfast will have better suggestions and please correct me if am wrong

Regards,
Abhishek

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a female go male while in QT? Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

I'd like to add a female but this concerns me.

Maybe QT it alone?
It is a possibility, but this sounds like you're trying to...
Trying to do that, and it is not something I advise.
Females tend to transition over time regardless of males, and this leads to undue headache and often less fish.
See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pairing-wrasses-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.3/

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly , in my experience trying to pair wrasses like Cirrhilabrus species never work long term . They will turn males someday or the rather - may be in a month may be in 5 years ... I always try and keep one specimen of a species . Ofcoarse am novice so take my advice with a grain of salt .
@evolved and @eatbreakfast will have better suggestions and please correct me if am wrong
Nope, that's exactly right. :)

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f584cc91a9752f864a4d8c6c8235ef9d.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope, that's exactly right. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone..........I know the changing to all males is common, but it works in nature with harems. I think it would work with a harem set up in very large tanks but unfortunately I and most don't have 500g+ tanks.

I've done very will with Anthias pairs and the females won't change to males like some do in small harems.

I won't tempt fate......I've added other male species(line spot and carpenters) recently so I'll just enjoy that.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it works in nature with harems
That is the common understanding, but I do not know of anyone who has studied a harem over the course of time. I tend to think mortality rates are high, and transitions happen in high frequency.
I think it would work with a harem set up in very large tanks but unfortunately I and most don't have 500g+ tanks.
It hasn't worked well in large public aquariums either, so I don't believe that to be true.

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked these babies up today from tsm

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg
Taking a trip over there in the morning to look at the roseafascias that he got in. Good luck with the femiminus... I've been wanting to try one. Did he have more?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

I don't like you very much!:p

Beautiful fish! femininus is my dream fish! Keep us updated on the lenardi, I know they can be difficult to keep also. You are on a roll....Reef 365 featured tank and scoring those beauties in one week!

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Man, those are gorgeous!

I’m seriously thinking about picking up a lennardi. My lfs have one and it’s stunner, been there for at least a month.

Now, I haven’t found anything on special in terms of care for these guys. But have read some where that they may require a cooler temperature, mid-low 70s? I keep my tank 77-80f. Can anyone confirm on this?

Angelc93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok so the Attenutus is relatively small too then. My LFS has had a pair of Bells in a tank for over a year and it wont get much bigger. It flashes alot but up against a trio of Johnsonni, Lineatus, Brunneus, Jordanis, and Labouti.
It's just a bit bigger then the bells and nice sounds like an awesome lfs to go and visit

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Taking a trip over there in the morning to look at the roseafascias that he got in. Good luck with the femiminus... I've been wanting to try one. Did he have more?
It's to early to say but he seems ok. He have no more, actually he had three eating that but some one took them before I got there. This guy a shot in the dark.
I don't like you very much!:p

Beautiful fish! femininus is my dream fish! Keep us updated on the lenardi, I know they can be difficult to keep also. You are on a roll....Reef 365 featured tank and scoring those beauties in one week!
Thank you, lennardi's are doing fine so far
Also from TSM.... He has been in my tank for 2 months now.... He eats like a champ....
I love that fish and tsm have some in that are eating. Almost picked one too but dropping 2G was enough for one day lol
Man, those are gorgeous!
Thank you
I’m seriously thinking about picking up a lennardi. My lfs have one and it’s stunner, been there for at least a month.
Get in touch with ray at tsm he have about 20 all eating and reasonable price
Now, I haven’t found anything on special in terms of care for these guys. But have read some where that they may require a cooler temperature, mid-low 70s? I keep my tank 77-80f. Can anyone confirm on this?
That's what they say but I think 77 is ideal for them too
It's just a bit bigger then the bells and nice sounds like an awesome lfs to go and visit
Tsm is awesome place and the owner and staff are very knowledgeable, clean place and they quarantine everything before it goes out.
Thank you! the pictures don't do him justice he has amazing colors
True
Beautiful wrasses! How's the feminus doing? I've always wanted one
Hard to tell. I don't hold big hopes with this fish since I had tried it so many times. I did have one for about 4 yrs that turned into a male so I'm trying again. Im keeping fingers crossed

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back