The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to introduce leopard wrasse to my tank and wondering if i should put him in acclamation box for a day or two? reason number one is red line wrasse in who has been there for a while.
I had to remove my redline when adding the 3 new leopard's. The redline and the black leopard gave my new bipartus a hard time.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out to wrasse lovers - one of my absolute favorite species

https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/458058/blue-nose-pencil-wrasse-terminal-phase-male

A little hard to get to eat but extremely peaceful .
Although it’s known to sometimes transform to pink coloration under domination from other males of Macrophryngdon , Anampses and Halichoeres .

Why does DD get these every time am not ready ?

Regards,
Abhishek
I have a royal. But I can't get it to eat. Had to fish it out of my overflow twice. Nothing is harassing it.
58e0b2c9fc11eb197622d444a8132521.jpg
1fd4441487d3311b9f95b2f36d9c71b4.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal. But I can't get it to eat. Had to fish it out of my overflow twice. Nothing is harassing it.
58e0b2c9fc11eb197622d444a8132521.jpg
1fd4441487d3311b9f95b2f36d9c71b4.jpg

Looks so amazing . I believe you have tried mysis , LRS . Have you tried black worms , pods ? I have had always great luck with live black worms in qt tanks to get them to eat .

Regards,
Abhishek

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks so amazing . I believe you have tried mysis , LRS . Have you tried black worms , pods ? I have had always great luck with live black worms in qt tanks to get them to eat .

Regards,
Abhishek
I dont have access to live black worms here. I've tried mysis and frozen blood worms.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have access to live black worms here. I've tried mysis and frozen blood worms.

Do you have access to pods ? If not, you can buy them from Reef Nutrition or Algagen or algaebarn .
For blackworms, try https://aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormCareM.html . They were my go to for altums and heckels .

Also, try and see if it responds to LRS reef frenzy or ROE fish eggs .

Regards,
Abhishek

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to introduce leopard wrasse to my tank and wondering if i should put him in acclamation box for a day or two? reason number one is red line wrasse in who has been there for a while.
Always advisable.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always let my leopards go and they usually go into the sand for a few days. If you use the acclimation box I would make sure it had a small dish of sand to minimize stress.

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question, but are all wrasses copepod eating fiends? I'm planning a new 75g tank and I know I'm going to add a dragonet (preferably 2) but I also really wanted to add a wrasse or three. I'm trying to stay away from fish that will out compete my dragonets for their pods. Does this mean I have to stay away from wrasses completely? :( Or are there some species of wrasse that don't eat as many pods and will be safe? Thanks!

Deltatail14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question, but are all wrasses copepod eating fiends? I'm planning a new 75g tank and I know I'm going to add a dragonet (preferably 2) but I also really wanted to add a wrasse or three. I'm trying to stay away from fish that will out compete my dragonets for their pods. Does this mean I have to stay away from wrasses completely? :( Or are there some species of wrasse that don't eat as many pods and will be safe? Thanks!

The flashers and fairy wrasses tend to only eat from the water column. They may be a good fish for you

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually add pods every other month to keep the population up. I have a lot of wrasses

Donnaj44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening !
I have a Two Spot Wrasse I introduced a few weeks ago. He buried himself upon entering for less than 12 hrs. He has bonded nicely w my yellow tang. Water levels are good and I have no new adds. I have a very peaceful tank. Swordtails, Chromes, Blennie, Goby, Yellow Tang, Clown & a couple shrimp.

I have noticed my Wrasse buried himself for longer periods of time. He hasn’t come out at all today and has now missed two days of feedings. Should I be concerned? And what is up???

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flashers and fairy wrasses tend to only eat from the water column. They may be a good fish for you

Thanks! Flasher wrasse are some of my favorites I'm glad to hear that they're an option. I'd like to get a mystery wrasse too, do you think one of those might be a good addition?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Flasher wrasse are some of my favorites I'm glad to hear that they're an option. I'd like to get a mystery wrasse too, do you think one of those might be a good addition?
Mystery wrasse is a bad choice for a tank with a mandarin. They are a proficient pod hunter and can get quite aggressive to other pod hunters(mandarin).

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening !
I have a Two Spot Wrasse I introduced a few weeks ago. He buried himself upon entering for less than 12 hrs. He has bonded nicely w my yellow tang. Water levels are good and I have no new adds. I have a very peaceful tank. Swordtails, Chromes, Blennie, Goby, Yellow Tang, Clown & a couple shrimp.

I have noticed my Wrasse buried himself for longer periods of time. He hasn’t come out at all today and has now missed two days of feedings. Should I be concerned? And what is up???

I also introduced a Two Spot a few weeks ago and mine is also bonding nicely with my yellow tang. Anyways, in my experience with my previous Melanurus Wrasse and now this Two Spot, what you described is not all that unusual. Is it possible you just aren't home when he's out? Mine likes to wake up early and usually goes to sleep around 4pm, she has been slowly adjusting to my light schedule and staying up a little later. Once with the Melanurus, he hid for 4 days and to this day I don't know why. I was worried he died but on the 5th day he was happily swimming like nothing happened.

Donnaj44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I am a beginner and don't want to miss the signs that I haven't seen or experienced yet. It is my understanding this is a quirk of wrasse and I am keeping a watchful eye. Wishing I understood why so I can correct the issue before it becomes a bigger issue. I can officially say he is the hide and seek champion!! However, his other tank mates don't know they are supposed to be seeking... LOL

Back