The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I know how that goes! Lost my young male Jordani a few months back. Ate like a pig and one day he had notch on his head. Next day gone and never saw him again. Chalked it up to head trauma. Think your safe with tight lid but not always true.
That stinks that happened to me with a diamond goby after saving him from jumping into the over flow! Found him on the back of the tank dry as can be SMH

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could get with galaxy s8. She won't come to the front of the tank while I'm standing there and my water is too cloudy further back to get good pics. 20190404_182551.jpg

View attachment 20190404_182414.jpg

View attachment 20190404_182736.jpg

View attachment 20190404_182412.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could get with galaxy s8. She won't come to the front of the tank while I'm standing there and my water is too cloudy further back to get good pics. 20190404_182551.jpg

definitely looks like biocellatus to me, the one caveat being i've never seen claudia in person so. let the experts weigh in, but i'm like 99% sure!

here's mine

IMG_1027.JPG

they are super hard to take a decent picture of. ADD movement and my phone doesn't seem to pick her up at all

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely looks like biocellatus to me, the one caveat being i've never seen claudia in person so. let the experts weigh in, but i'm like 99% sure!

here's mine

IMG_1027.JPG

they are super hard to take a decent picture of. ADD movement and my phone doesn't seem to pick her up at all
+1 for biocellatus.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 20190404_182736.jpg

View attachment 20190404_182412.jpg
Yeah, that's H. biocellatus.
Hi can China wrasse keep in reef tank with blood shrimp and Squamosa clam?
Yes - completely reef safe. Requires sand and a completely covered tank.

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just wondering what the average lifespan is for wrasse. Obviously its going to depend on species but just wondering if they're like clownfish that can live for 30 years haha
I recently bought a pygmy possum wrasse and it just got me thinking

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my flasher and fairy wrasses eat nori on the clip. Even my Melanurus wrasse eat it too. The ones that does not are the Leopards and China Wrasse.
Anybody else have wrasse that go after nori? It is really not that they are under feed, I feed my tank a lot. They really compete with the tangs to eat nori. Wonder if anybody have a like on Fairy and Flasher diet in the wild.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my flasher and fairy wrasses eat nori on the clip. Even my Melanurus wrasse eat it too. The ones that does not are the Leopards and China Wrasse.
Anybody else have wrasse that go after nori? It is really not that they are under feed, I feed my tank a lot. They really compete with the tangs to eat nori. Wonder if anybody have a like on Fairy and Flasher diet in the wild.
It's pretty common in aquaria.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing a study on the diet of wild rectangle triggerfish, I think algae was the 2nd or 3rd most common thing found in their stomachs. I'd imagine algae is an important part of the diets of many marine fish we normally think of as being carnivores.

alanedinburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if Lineatus would be compatible with rhomboid, jordani and pintail ?

Only one I can see on chart as a possibility would be rhomboid?

Thanks

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do y'all like my fish? He is a beauty. Actually not too mean. He is the undistributed king of the tank. He runs at the other wrasses but never a prolong chase, no injury and does not keep other fish from eating. He is in a 320 gal with a bunch of male flasher and fairy wrasses which helps I am sure.
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg
Beautiful specimen @OrionN!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny mine are the opposite.....my Red Coris Wrasse loves the nori almost more than my purple tang, my six Leopards eat, and my four Halichoeres Wrasses do too. Not my Fairy Wrasse though....he won't touch it. Sometimes my China Wrasse will, but not like the rest of them! [emoji16]

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the M. bipartitus girls, still struggling to see them out regularly. Thus the only time I’m getting them fed is on weekends and maybe one weekday.

They both are skittish, but one exceptionally so. They were both out this morning but one startled before I could even get food in the tank. Unfortunately, that tends to mean she doesn’t reappear the rest of the day.

But, I’m hoping to get a dedicated light for the QT today so maybe that will help. They aren’t much on pellets or masstick that I can tell either.

Fortunately they are both still alive and I’ll keep trying. I did do a round of prazi and will do another. Unsure if I’ll do any further medicating after that though.

I am concerned with how little food I’m getting them so I’m banking on increased lighting to help turn things around.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if Lineatus would be compatible with rhomboid, jordani and pintail ?

Only one I can see on chart as a possibility would be rhomboid?

Thanks
Right, so as long as we're talking 150 gallons or larger you should be fine.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! Now I have seen it all....so my mother n law was over today visiting, all of a sudden she pointed at my tank and said that big red fish has a black thing in his mouth!!!! I jumped up and my Red Coris had pulled my new black Leopard Wrasse out if the sand and was eating him!!!! My thoughts are the black Leopard died and he was digging in the sand and pulled out the deceased Wrasse. Never heard of a red Coris eatting other fish! He is not agressive at all. Any thoughts???? Sorry for the bad pic....he was playing keep away from the other Wrasses![emoji849]
af66c12413f9d0f5af0254eaf6864811.jpg

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back