The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're very difficult to adapt to captivity and have low survival rates. They're also very delicate shippers. It seems like the majority of people can only keep them alive under a year before they perish.
Ahh, thanks for explaining! I know they’re the hardest leopard to keep but never figured out why.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, when they are still For a moment, but when you try to take a pic and they are gone.
Yes, I never get a good image of any of my wrasses because they’re too fast. I got a nice image of the pintail in the LFS but if I tried it in my tank the image would just be blur

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some wrasse's, so I want to see everyone's wrasse pictures! Please share!

I've been practicing my fish taking.. Snapped a decent one of my Naoko Wrasse, still need to polish up on my skills though!
IMG_9457_zps94017eaa.jpg

IMG_9469_zps9e608ad0.jpg

Edit:

Forgot my earmuff! Colors since this picture have really improved!
IMG_9303_zpsfd974b69.jpg
amazing fish!

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I never get a good image of any of my wrasses because they’re too fast. I got a nice image of the pintail in the LFS but if I tried it in my tank the image would just be blur
Zoom, zoom, zap. And not a single picture.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My naoko finally got a name - Never again will I let that demon into the sump. It’s a nightmare to get a net down the back of a max nano, the wrasse snuck into the sump when I was doing the water change and still survived. 2 days later and he’s swimming around merrily which I’m happy about
Called it sump wrasse, the first and probably only time I will name a fish because of how he survived being down there for atleast 6 hours without me knowing he was in there (4 hours after the water change I saw he went missing but he hadn’t jumped or anything and it was by pure luck that when I took out the RO/DI bit that he was under the grid and I saw him)
I just did the maths and he survived 10 hours with no damage from a heater being on, I love him so much and will probably have a trio of naokos in my next tank (That is if they don’t all become male)

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line once in my 32 AIO somehow jumped into this tiny space. In the pic look in the rear Chamber all the way to the left. Tiny corner space shaped like a triangle. I thought he died and disappeared. After 2 days of not knowing what happened I saw him in there. Took hours to figure how to get him out. Nothing fits in there. I used an extendable back scratcher to pull him out. I’m still amazed he’s alive after that.
F54919BE-C59D-45D6-A670-7DC8A17534CC.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line once in my 32 AIO somehow jumped into this tiny space. In the pic look in the rear Chamber all the way to the left. Tiny corner space shaped like a triangle. I thought he died and disappeared. After 2 days of not knowing what happened I saw him in there. Took hours to figure how to get him out. Nothing fits in there. I used an extendable back scratcher to pull him out. I’m still amazed he’s alive after that.
F54919BE-C59D-45D6-A670-7DC8A17534CC.png
That must have been a nightmare to get him out, mine was bad enough and that was longer in length.
Also, an updated picture of my Blue Star Leopard that is still doing great, not as fat as I want her to be but she isn’t skinny either.
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new addition in the acclimation box. Already eating like a champ.

I’m not surprised! Fairy wrasse usually take to eating instantly. I like earlei’s but I don’t know if I like them to the point of £1000+ for just 5-7 years. If I got one though, it would definitely be my favourite fairy wrasse I would own (Overall I’d say my favourite wrasse is between the Splendid Pintail and a black leopard)
There’s also a nice selection of other fish (Not just wrasse but the tangs too) in the tank! Definitely a lively looking tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not surprised! Fairy wrasse usually take to eating instantly. I like earlei’s but I don’t know if I like them to the point of £1000+ for just 5-7 years. If I got one though, it would definitely be my favourite fairy wrasse I would own (Overall I’d say my favourite wrasse is between the Splendid Pintail and a black leopard)
There’s also a nice selection of other fish (Not just wrasse but the tangs too) in the tank! Definitely a lively looking tank.

Yes, I have a C. isoscoles as well. Pretty much every fish in the tank was gathered around the acclimation box when the mysis hit the water. :D

Most of my wrasses have eaten well early but not within a few minutes as this one did. They usually act like they're dying for the first hour or so. I mainly put the food there to attract the other wrasses and gauge their level of dislike for the new addition.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a C. isoscoles as well. Pretty much every fish in the tank was gathered around the acclimation box when the mysis hit the water. :D

Most of my wrasses have eaten well early but not within a few minutes as this one did. They usually act like they're dying for the first hour or so. I mainly put the food there to attract the other wrasses and gauge their level of dislike for the new addition.
It’s interesting, people say wrasses “Play dead” but even my Blue star leopard didn’t act dead (Shes probably just under 1” at the minute, my Blenny and Yasha Goby are like 2x her size). None of them have acted dead yet, even just in the bags I saw an M. meleagrides in my LFS acting dead and it was very interesting behaviour to watch. I think if I get a bigger tank for sure I’d like another leopard wrasse, they have such big personalities that even a Halichoeres wrasse doesn’t have. Another thing is how none of my wrasse have hidden for days, they’ve all just re-emerged the next day, the three sand sleepers did use the sand as soon as they were put in the tank but then just came out instantly the next day.
the main question that has been bugging me for days now is:
What genus is H/M. lapillus in? I thought on its description it was a Halichoeres but everywhere else has it as Macropharyngodon.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What genus is H/M. lapillus in? I thought on its description it was a Halichoeres but everywhere else has it as Macropharyngodon.
It's in the Halichoeres genus only because it's missing the throat teeth like all the others in the Macropharyngodon genus.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting, people say wrasses “Play dead” but even my Blue star leopard didn’t act dead (Shes probably just under 1” at the minute, my Blenny and Yasha Goby are like 2x her size). None of them have acted dead yet, even just in the bags I saw an M. meleagrides in my LFS acting dead and it was very interesting behaviour to watch. I think if I get a bigger tank for sure I’d like another leopard wrasse, they have such big personalities that even a Halichoeres wrasse doesn’t have. Another thing is how none of my wrasse have hidden for days, they’ve all just re-emerged the next day, the three sand sleepers did use the sand as soon as they were put in the tank but then just came out instantly the next day.
Only fairy wrasses have done it for me and not always, I'd say about 1/3 of the time they will lay on the bottom (sometimes on their side....that's when it makes me nervous) and look like they're in distress.

Here are a couple of pictures of my beloved Pink Streaked Wrasse:

C85DF85B-47FA-4E23-8AF9-CDD6D5C8F713.jpeg
E8C5F8E4-0C0C-4CA8-ADE2-B2BF2D0A40AA.jpeg

Beautiful pink streaked...and pipefish! I have banded pipefish in my nano, thinking about a pink streaked for a tank mate....how do they get along?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fairy wrasses have done it for me and not always, I'd say about 1/3 of the time they will lay on the bottom (sometimes on their side....that's when it makes me nervous) and look like they're in distress.

Beautiful pink streaked...and pipefish! I have banded pipefish in my nano, thinking about a pink streaked for a tank mate....how do they get along?
Thank you! The wrasse and pipefish have both colored up a lot. The wrasse and pipefish pay absolutely no attention to each other

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. brunneus made it into the DT without any attention from the other wrasses
20211011_125250.jpg

20211011_125312.jpg

Coulle new guys in QT
C. pylei
20211012_142819.jpg

20211012_142803.jpg

B. bimaculatus
20211012_140155.jpg
I saw a C. pylei last week in my LFS, nearly pulled the trigger on it but didn’t and left it a week. It didn’t make it so I’m glad I didn’t take it now, but next time I see one I’ll probably get it if I have room in the tank (And if the Scott’s isn’t a brat by then)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the Halichoeres genus only because it's missing the throat teeth like all the others in the Macropharyngodon genus.
Thanks! My LFS has three (Two females, one male) and they’re labelled as M. lapillus, I knew they didn’t have the throated teeth but didn’t know if they would still be put into macropharyngodon

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My LFS has three (Two females, one male) and they’re labelled as M. lapillus, I knew they didn’t have the throated teeth but didn’t know if they would still be put into macropharyngodon
I've never seen a lapillus at any of my LFS. Are you going to get one?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back