The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a lapillus at any of my LFS. Are you going to get one?
Probably not, I don’t find them as attractive as other wrasse however - Maybe just before the blue star goes into the main tank I may. They are certainly a fish that is an option for the wrasses.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please usually post here with my happy additions. But today it’s a sad subtraction. But I need to know if I did the right thing. My amazing laboute wrasse tried to jump out. I have a mesh lid but it’s big so there’s a bar across the middle for support. He hit it twice hard and sank to the bottom. He was alive and started to swim a little. He was stiff and crooked. His mouth was wide open and he couldn’t close it. Like unnaturally wide open. He swam to the surface then in a cave and sat there. He could swim a little but not move his body. Was stuff and crooked. And never closed his mouth. I took him out and out him down. Seemed he broke his jaw and back. I believe I ended his suffering. Was a really sad morning. Just glad I saw it so I was able to do what I did instead of him dying in the rocks over however long it took.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a spinal injury, isn't it?

I guess I'm done with flasher wrasses :( Every single time one of them goes terminal, they end up dead within a few weeks or a few months. Always the same symptoms: tail hanging, getting pushed around by the powerheads and hiding at random times throughout the day. It happened to my blue flasher not too long ago and I'm now seeing the same symptoms with this guy.

Made that when they jump, they can't hit anything, but it doesn't seem to work unfortunately. It ONLY happens to the terminal males. Never had a non terminal flasher end up with these injuries.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line once in my 32 AIO somehow jumped into this tiny space. In the pic look in the rear Chamber all the way to the left. Tiny corner space shaped like a triangle. I thought he died and disappeared. After 2 days of not knowing what happened I saw him in there. Took hours to figure how to get him out. Nothing fits in there. I used an extendable back scratcher to pull him out. I’m still amazed he’s alive after that.
F54919BE-C59D-45D6-A670-7DC8A17534CC.png
Wow!

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I'm done with flasher wrasses :( Every single time one of them goes terminal, they end up dead within a few weeks or a few months. Always the same symptoms: tail hanging, getting pushed around by the powerheads and hiding at random times throughout the day. It happened to my blue flasher not too long ago and I'm now seeing the same symptoms with this guy.

Made that when they jump, they can't hit anything, but it doesn't seem to work unfortunately. It ONLY happens to the terminal males. Never had a non terminal flasher end up with these injuries.

yeah, sadly.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please usually post here with my happy additions. But today it’s a sad subtraction. But I need to know if I did the right thing. My amazing laboute wrasse tried to jump out. I have a mesh lid but it’s big so there’s a bar across the middle for support. He hit it twice hard and sank to the bottom. He was alive and started to swim a little. He was stiff and crooked. His mouth was wide open and he couldn’t close it. Like unnaturally wide open. He swam to the surface then in a cave and sat there. He could swim a little but not move his body. Was stuff and crooked. And never closed his mouth. I took him out and out him down. Seemed he broke his jaw and back. I believe I ended his suffering. Was a really sad morning. Just glad I saw it so I was able to do what I did instead of him dying in the rocks over however long it took.
aww, sorry, I know its sad to loose a friend.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My naoko finally got a name - Never again will I let that demon into the sump. It’s a nightmare to get a net down the back of a max nano, the wrasse snuck into the sump when I was doing the water change and still survived. 2 days later and he’s swimming around merrily which I’m happy about
Called it sump wrasse, the first and probably only time I will name a fish because of how he survived being down there for atleast 6 hours without me knowing he was in there (4 hours after the water change I saw he went missing but he hadn’t jumped or anything and it was by pure luck that when I took out the RO/DI bit that he was under the grid and I saw him)
I just did the maths and he survived 10 hours with no damage from a heater being on, I love him so much and will probably have a trio of naokos in my next tank (That is if they don’t all become male)
Oh god!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recommend trying to get one that’s already a terminal (Although yes you won’t have it as long, you may bypass the injury part) it’s strange how it happened to all your terminals, I’ve never had a female wrasse - Just have 1 terminal scotts and two male Lubbock’s that one got bought as terminal, no issues yet on either of them.

my LFS still have two H. lapillus but I passed on them for this week (I honestly find their colours to be similar to the M. ornatus). I may wait till the Blue star is added before I get a lapillus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s a better reaction than what I got when I realised what happened. Worst thing was it was around
He is out and about all day now, cruising with my Cryptic pinstripe and Blue star leopard along with having the classic puppy personality Naokos tend to get (It’s different to other fairy wrasse for sure). I love him more than any other wrasse however, if I can manage to own and keep a black leopard wrasse long term then that may change.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of a plan to work up to my dream wrasse and just wondered if it could work:

If I start out with the Blue Star Leopard I have now and manage to keep him long term (minimum of 2-3 years) then go for a Black Leopard and manage to keep her alive long term (minimum of 2-3 years) and then try my luck with a Chaots Leopard after having experience with the other two for Atleast 6 years total.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s along term thinking for sure. Don’t think I can be that patient. I’m just happy my leopards get along now. The black used to chase the spotted all the time. Wasn’t any violence but the leopard spent all day in a corner and swam the tank when the black went to sleep which is usually early. Now they get along. Knocking on wood. They didn’t like each other the first 4 months and now it’s been a few weeks of cooperation where they actually swim together sometimes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s along term thinking for sure. Don’t think I can be that patient. I’m just happy my leopards get along now. The black used to chase the spotted all the time. Wasn’t any violence but the leopard spent all day in a corner and swam the tank when the black went to sleep which is usually early. Now they get along. Knocking on wood. They didn’t like each other the first 4 months and now it’s been a few weeks of cooperation where they actually swim together sometimes.
That’s good to know they get along now! Id only go for a choatis if I had experience with Atleast two leopard wrasse of different species before hand because now I know why Choatis are so hard to keep.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I’ve heard that before too. At my lfs they always have different leopards in the same small holding tanks. I was surprised when they fought. But at least it’s over.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I’ve heard that before too. At my lfs they always have different leopards in the same small holding tanks. I was surprised when they fought. But at least it’s over.
Yeah, I saw my LFS house a moyers and kuiters together happily (Both were Atleast 3”). I’ll probably stick with the plan of trying to get 4-6 years of experience with leopard wrasses though before going into things like Vivienae and Choats although they are VERY pretty fish I just feel like I don’t have the experience for many of the wrasse except radiants - I’m on my second and had her for a year (I have owned them for a total of 3 years)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw my LFS house a moyers and kuiters together happily (Both were Atleast 3”). I’ll probably stick with the plan of trying to get 4-6 years of experience with leopard wrasses though before going into things like Vivienae and Choats although they are VERY pretty fish I just feel like I don’t have the experience for many of the wrasse except radiants - I’m on my second and had her for a year (I have owned them for a total of 3 years)
Itd also be my dream to own a Choati and black at the same time (I love both of them however, if I had to choose, the choati would be my true dream and the only fish I would own if I had to own one)

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, my fish do NOT like having their picture taken!
20211021_190846(0).jpg

20211021_190337.jpg

20211021_190342.jpg

This timorensis is such a stunner. Absolutely gorgeous. He (she?) has easily doubled in size in just 5 months time!
Wrasse on wrasse action:
20211021_191012.jpg

The wrasses love getting cleaned! They visit the cleaner multiple times a day. So cool to watch.
20211021_191926.jpg

Mr Mccosker being camera shy again. He too has grown A LOT in just a month. Now that my yellow flasher is gone, I'm curious to see how he'll develop (and hopefully he won't die like the others).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a year before my potters stopped nonstop glass surfing and chasing a tiny melagris. He never had color while doing it. Figured it was stress and was worried it would kill him. Now it’s time to sit back and watch the fatty look good and swim normal. The tank will probably give my a heart attack early in life

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211021_190846(0).jpg

20211021_190337.jpg

20211021_190342.jpg

This timorensis is such a stunner. Absolutely gorgeous. He (she?) has easily doubled in size in just 5 months time!
Wrasse on wrasse action:
20211021_191012.jpg

The wrasses love getting cleaned! They visit the cleaner multiple times a day. So cool to watch.
20211021_191926.jpg

Mr Mccosker being camera shy again. He too has grown A LOT in just a month. Now that my yellow flasher is gone, I'm curious to see how he'll develop (and hopefully he won't die like the others).
Very pretty wrasses you have there! I especially love the timorensis

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211021_190846(0).jpg

20211021_190337.jpg

20211021_190342.jpg

Wrasse on wrasse action:
20211021_191012.jpg

20211021_191926.jpg

How long have you had the cleaner?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back