The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven’t hard one in a few years and really couldn’t find a nice healthy one, but after a few days in anacclimation box and another week or two hiding in the rocks …. He’s out and about now
114817A7-56C3-4B9C-A4C4-EDAB5DFE36A3.jpeg
43E0BF6A-9F1C-485E-AC45-80FBAC1C61BF.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven’t hard one in a few years and really couldn’t find a nice healthy one, but after a few days in anacclimation box and another week or two hiding in the rocks …. He’s out and about now
114817A7-56C3-4B9C-A4C4-EDAB5DFE36A3.jpeg
43E0BF6A-9F1C-485E-AC45-80FBAC1C61BF.jpeg
Very pretty! I assume C. lineatus? For sure a male with such bright colours. The wrasses that are becoming more available every year really make me question how many we will have in 5 years time. I mean, the sunset wrasse was recently described as a brand new wrasse and already 2 pairs have gone up for sale.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably around 3 months now. Got it from a guy where it had been for another half year. It started bullying his fish, but I haven't had any problems so far.
That’s interesting, Ive never heard of the labroides bullying other fish. I know they eat the parasites and dead skin/mucus from other fish so maybe if they try to clean them too often it becomes a form of bullying?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, Ive never heard of the labroides bullying other fish. I know they eat the parasites and dead skin/mucus from other fish so maybe if they try to clean them too often it becomes a form of bullying?
I'm guessing his fish simply didn't like being cleaned all that much. He was very persistent when I first got him. My fish actually want to be cleaned more than that he wants to clean them lol. I've seen the cleaner wrasse chase off my timorensis a few times after he stopped by for like the 20th time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing his fish simply didn't like being cleaned all that much. He was very persistent when I first got him. My fish actually want to be cleaned more than that he wants to clean them lol. I've seen the cleaner wrasse chase off my timorensis a few times after he stopped by for like the 20th time.
Maybe that is the reason. I think the bigger fish like tangs, foxfaces, angels ect.. want to be cleaned more than other smaller fish like damsels, the smaller wrasses - Not thallassoma haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick one:
Has anyone tried a trio of possum wrasse? If so what size tank and how long did it work out?
I’m thinking on trying a trio or pair in my nano when the Naoko and Blue star leopards move to the other tank.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing this thread, I got hooked on wrasses. Currently have a pintail fairy, yellow coris, rohmboid and a melanarus in the tank. All seem to be doing well and get along with minimal chase away. Love the color variations and how easy they are to feed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing this thread, I got hooked on wrasses. Currently have a pintail fairy, yellow coris, rohmboid and a melanarus in the tank. All seem to be doing well and get along with minimal chase away. Love the color variations and how easy they are to feed.
That’s a lovely selection you have! I’d love to see some pictures of them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try, it's hard to catch those speedy guys they are always on the hunt....thanks
Yeah they are hard to catch a photo of haha, that’s why I was so pleased when I managed to catch this photo of my leopard (Especially on how I’ve never had a photo that shows her spots so well)
9B9BB122-395F-4356-AA1B-32ECD9EB65A7.jpeg

Also, Both male Lubbock’s are doing great (The Cebu has hit his 3” max size, the indo is still at his 1”, possibly 1.5” size), I hate the bigger tank it really makes it harder to get a good photo (Then again, leopards are WAY slower swimmers than a fairy wrasse)
image.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are hard to catch a photo of haha, that’s why I was so pleased when I managed to catch this photo of my leopard (Especially on how I’ve never had a photo that shows her spots so well)
9B9BB122-395F-4356-AA1B-32ECD9EB65A7.jpeg

Also, Both male Lubbock’s are doing great (The Cebu has hit his 3” max size, the indo is still at his 1”, possibly 1.5” size), I hate the bigger tank it really makes it harder to get a good photo (Then again, leopards are WAY slower swimmers than a fairy wrasse)
image.jpg
Leopard is one of my favorites but my tank isn't big enough. I just added my melanurus and he and my squaretail tang are close flashing each other to see who is going to be tank boss.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard is one of my favorites but my tank isn't big enough. I just added my melanurus and he and my squaretail tang are close flashing each other to see who is going to be tank boss.
What tank size do you have?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find it funny when one wakes up and just sits there with his head out of the sand looking around for a few minutes before he gets up.
7F0C4B03-DF2B-4C75-BC01-2EEAB19CAE50.jpeg
Haha, yeah that’s the best part about them - I wish I could see my leopard, radiant and jades poking their head out but I never see it, they just appear from behind the rocks at around 7am

And also, what wrasse is that? Is it a Black leopard?

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all sleep up front. Sometimes I have to wait in front of the tank foe them to wake up so I’m sure to feed them before I go to work. Thankfully we’re on the same schedule. I always do a double take when I just see a head poking out. It’s like is that a fish?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back