The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea XL300 so 65g DT with 15g sump. But I love the wrasses in here.
Honestly, that’s alright for a small leopard IMO. They say 90g+ because of an old belief that leopards can’t be kept on frozen foods.
honestly, Eventhough yes moyers and kuiters stay at that 4” mark, I still don’t count them as small leopards because of their elongated body shape.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. sanguineas at our LFS. Maybe the only one in the U.S. No, I will not be buying him, lol.

20211023_123404.jpg
Whoever gets him probably will end up dropping a bank, all I know is they tend to be high in the 4 digits, I don’t know if they go into the 5 digit numbers like the Peppermint angel does.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever gets him probably will end up dropping a bank, all I know is they tend to be high in the 4 digits, I don’t know if they go into the 5 digit numbers like the Peppermint angel does.

$3499.99. The owner is a frequent customer of Koji's, and has had a lot of exotic fish over the years, but mostly wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$3499.99. The owner is a frequent customer of Koji's, and has had a lot of exotic fish over the years, but mostly wrasses.
That’s actually less than I thought, I was thinking something like 9000.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that’s alright for a small leopard IMO. They say 90g+ because of an old belief that leopards can’t be kept on frozen foods.
honestly, Eventhough yes moyers and kuiters stay at that 4” mark, I still don’t count them as small leopards because of their elongated body shape.
I wish but my tank is pretty well stocked. Don't want to overdue it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish but my tank is pretty well stocked. Don't want to overdue it
Haha, yeah that’s a big issue with this hobby, and also one of my main reasons I want an 8’ wrasse dominant tank, unfortunately I only have room for maybe a 6’ tank at the moment.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs had a checker wrasse. I think they get pretty big. Wish I could get that one. It’s a small one they have
I assume you mean this?
A6383F03-83CD-4365-8FF2-C629DF96878B.jpeg

Halichoeres hortulanus
11” max size

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Exactly. Wish I could buy it. I want to be upgrading in another year or so to have a bigger tank but I can’t be sure. So I have to pass.
Yeah, it’s always better to get fish when you have a set date to upgrade over when you don’t know if you will truly get an upgrade in.
I have two dream wrasse, the second on is Atleast a decade away till I get in the experience for it but the first is atleast 3-5 years away till I can say I have owned a Blue star leopard “long term”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tempted for my last wrasse to get a wrasse that my LFS get in and don’t know what it will transition into just to see what wrasse I manage to get - I know it’s risky however, it sounds like an interesting way to get a new wrasse that maybe not many people own or end up with an annoying/common wrasse that almost everyone has at some point, it’s just that risk I would love to take and let the fish choose what I have instead of me choosing what I end up with.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lost my beautiful melanurus today. He was in the tank for 3 days swimming and eating fine, sleeping under the sand at night. He came out fine this morning and by late afternoon floating on his side at the bottom gasping. I fresh water dipped and isolated him but didn't make it. He was beautiful to.

The only thing I saw was he and my tang posing side by side flashing each other but no hard aggression or chasing.

The gramma and firefish that I picked up from the same vendor are doing fine. He fully QT all 3 fish for 30 days for me to. Used copper and prazipro and something else I believe.

I'm so bummed to lose Big Mel

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lost my beautiful melanurus today. He was in the tank for 3 days swimming and eating fine, sleeping under the sand at night. He came out fine this morning and by late afternoon floating on his side at the bottom gasping. I fresh water dipped and isolated him but didn't make it. He was beautiful to.

The only thing I saw was he and my tang posing side by side flashing each other but no hard aggression or chasing.

The gramma and firefish that I picked up from the same vendor are doing fine. He fully QT all 3 fish for 30 days for me to. Used copper and prazipro and something else I believe.

I'm so bummed to lose Big Mel
Thats such an unfortunate loss, I know how you feel though - I lost a nice 4” naoko to jumping (He tried to jump and then ended up on the sand bed, on his side and gasping, much like yours did). I had him for around 18 months before he tried to jump unfortunately.

I honestly think the reason he was on the sand bed gasping and doing terribly is something stresses him enough to make him try and jump but because wrasse are found so deep down he didn’t expect the surface to be right there and so he instead got deflected by the lid.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats such an unfortunate loss, I know how you feel though - I lost a nice 4” naoko to jumping (He tried to jump and then ended up on the sand bed, on his side and gasping, much like yours did). I had him for around 18 months before he tried to jump unfortunately.

I honestly think the reason he was on the sand bed gasping and doing terribly is something stresses him enough to make him try and jump but because wrasse are found so deep down he didn’t expect the surface to be right there and so he instead got deflected by the lid.
That's unfortunate and sad after 18 months. I never saw hard aggression between mine and the tang but they did flash each other side by side. Maybe that stress was to much for a new fish and his immune system collapsed. Going to have to wait some months now and determine if I will try again

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate and sad after 18 months. I never saw hard aggression between mine and the tang but they did flash each other side by side. Maybe that stress was to much for a new fish and his immune system collapsed. Going to have to wait some months now and determine if I will try again
Honestly, I would try again but I would try and get the tang into a temporary tank and let his territory reset.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would try again but I would try and get the tang into a temporary tank and let his territory reset.
That's exactly what I was thinking but doesn't that just put the shoe on the other foot? Meaning that the melanarus will claim the reef and defend against it when the tang is reintroduced? I have a lot of rock scape and caves though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was thinking but doesn't that just put the shoe on the other foot? Meaning that the melanarus will claim the reef and defend against it when the tang is reintroduced? I have a lot of rock scape and caves though.
Usually a wrasse doesn’t go after a tang without reason (Territory isn’t one of the things I have seen my fish get aggressive about, they just enjoy the pecking order and change it every so often as they get bigger in size) I mean, my most aggressive wrasse is the smallest (My male Indo lubbocki) and he is second to the top of the pecking order, he has yet to beat the Jade wrasse haha

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a wrasse doesn’t go after a tang without reason (Territory isn’t one of the things I have seen my fish get aggressive about, they just enjoy the pecking order and change it every so often as they get bigger in size) I mean, my most aggressive wrasse is the smallest (My male Indo lubbocki) and he is second to the top of the pecking order, he has yet to beat the Jade wrasse haha
I should have introduced the tang last in the tank but I got him more for algae control versus visual appeal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have introduced the tang last in the tank but I got him more for algae control versus visual appeal.
I did the same thing with my tang however he has grown on me and he is letting me add in wrasse as long as they aren’t the same size and they’re either bigger or smaller than himself.

raklassen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a large thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed here, but does anyone have recommendations for a Wrasse that would do well and be comfortable in a 30L (30 gallon-36" long) tank? Looking for something with a peaceful demeanor if possible and I'm still relatively new to the hobby, so ease of care is a plus

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back