The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think rhomboid is my favorite fairy. At least top 2. The Diamond tail is a show stopper! Wrasse seem to start transition quick for me. Always starts with them chasing their reflection. Transition is my favorite thing with wrasse. Any info to be found on size and aggression with Nursalim? Would love to have one hunted down in a couple years
Earls has become my favorite fairy. I agree, I really enjoy watching wrasses transition too I try to buy females for this reason whenever I can. As far a Nursalim goes, Fishbase has them listed at 2'' which seems really small and says they're sympatric with Cyaneus so I would imagine their behavior is similar. NY Aquatics had a male for sale a few years ago maybe they'll be able to source one again sometime.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earls has become my favorite fairy. I agree, I really enjoy watching wrasses transition too I try to buy females for this reason whenever I can. As far a Nursalim goes, Fishbase has them listed at 2'' which seems really small and says they're sympatric with Cyaneus so I would imagine their behavior is similar. NY Aquatics had a male for sale a few years ago maybe they'll be able to source one again sometime.
I’d love to get my hands on female wrasse but unfortunately all mine have either been male or transitioning (My Scott’s is still transitioning now I’ve seen male Aussie Scott’s). My Cebu Lubbock was a transitioning but now he’s truly coloured up with the other Lubbocki. My radiant and Jade were juveniles but are transitioning (The radiant has become an adult female and the Jade is still the juvenile colours just slightly more dull of a green).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to get my hands on female wrasse but unfortunately all mine have either been male or transitioning (My Scott’s is still transitioning now I’ve seen male Aussie Scott’s). My Cebu Lubbock was a transitioning but now he’s truly coloured up with the other Lubbocki. My radiant and Jade were juveniles but are transitioning (The radiant has become an adult female and the Jade is still the juvenile colours just slightly more dull of a green).
It's tough to get female fairy wrasses since divers get more money for males than females. Rhomboids are pretty common to pick up as females in the US, do you see those much over there?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a thing with Tang not accepting Leopard? All other fish fine….
It’s a Orange Line Bristletooth Tang and Black Leopard

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a thing with Tang not accepting Leopard? All other fish fine….
It’s a Orange Line Bristletooth Tang and Black Leopard
My Achilles tried to run off the potters but potters gave it back. It was over territory. My PBT chased my wrasse all the time. So I would say it’s possible but not normal

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is only second day in tank. When i received yesterday she got right away in sand. Today came out and got chased by tang. Maybe i give few more days ?
I’m a bit paranoid but lost 2 or 3 before because of stress

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is only second day in tank. When i received yesterday she got right away in sand. Today came out and got chased by tang. Maybe i give few more days ?
Most wrasse don’t do stress well. Being it can hide I would let it ride a couple days but if I think the tang isn’t going to give up I would put it in jail. I would think the tang would give in to a wrasse. @SaltyT what you think.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasse don’t do stress well. Being it can hide I would let it ride a couple days but if I think the tang isn’t going to give up I would put it in jail. I would think the tang would give in to a wrasse. @SaltyT what you think.
Black leopards do not do well at all with stress. If the tang is still chasing the leopard into the sand tomorrow put the tang in time out (i.e acclimation box, sump, separate tank) for a week or two to allow the leopard time to acclimate to its surroundings and your feeding/light schedule.

Once your black leopard is out cruising the tank post a pic of her :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short video. Must wrasse swim past

Need a longer video! What a tease lol

Seriously though, your wrasse collection is amazing! Your hemi looks dark, very cool. I didn’t know that they went dark, or is it just the way the video captured him? How is his temperament?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough to get female fairy wrasses since divers get more money for males than females. Rhomboids are pretty common to pick up as females in the US, do you see those much over there?
Honestly, I see very few females but one rhomboid came in female and transitioned before I could get it so I held off because if I was to get a wrasse I’d want to get it female and when the LFS get in females they have no clue what it is half of the time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gained conflicting thoughts about my Scott’s wrasse, every time I see an Australian Scott’s photo it’s get a few with bright yellow dorsal and anal fins and then a few with black and tints of red in their dorsal and anal fins.
What does a male Scott’s from Australia actually look like?
Here’s just two photos of what I’m talking about, both of them are apparently australian. Mine has the flame look to the anal fin but the dorsal has a small bit of red on black.
E4BBA74E-A51F-45FA-92F6-748B3904DF37.jpeg
040A2B58-2523-4F26-A41F-39F354422FBF.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Did you rescue the other wrasse. I found my Madagascar on the floor again the other day. He is alive though. He hit the acrylic Top hard enough to lift it.
I am hesitant to pull the Flame out of the overflow before I get my ClearView lids. He looks very healthy in there for now. I don't want any risk of jumping out of the screen top I have now.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a longer video! What a tease lol

Seriously though, your wrasse collection is amazing! Your hemi looks dark, very cool. I didn’t know that they went dark, or is it just the way the video captured him? How is his temperament?
his color is dark but the lights and in pictures he looks darker. When he is feeling like the king he lightens up and more color shows. He is big but startles easily. He is a jumper and always hits the top.

I am hesitant to pull the Flame out of the overflow before I get my ClearView lids. He looks very healthy in there for now. I don't want any risk of jumping out of the screen top I have now.
Keep us posted. Hope it all works out. Can you use egg crate or something until your top comes?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gained conflicting thoughts about my Scott’s wrasse, every time I see an Australian Scott’s photo it’s get a few with bright yellow dorsal and anal fins and then a few with black and tints of red in their dorsal and anal fins.
What does a male Scott’s from Australia actually look like?
Here’s just two photos of what I’m talking about, both of them are apparently australian. Mine has the flame look to the anal fin but the dorsal has a small bit of red on black.
E4BBA74E-A51F-45FA-92F6-748B3904DF37.jpeg
040A2B58-2523-4F26-A41F-39F354422FBF.jpeg
Hmmm based on the description of your Scott's you may actually have a C. melanomarginatus instead. Does your Scott's have very little or no black on the anal fin?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back