The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not a great photo, its a great photo to myself. I've love how it's dorsal fin is extended beyond its tail fin in this photo.

It's of a photo of my Eightline Flasher wrasse that I took a few minutes ago.

20211106_153237.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not a great photo, its a great photo to myself. I've love how it's dorsal fin is extended beyond its tail fin in this photo.

It's of a photo of my Eightline Flasher wrasse that I took a few minutes ago.

20211106_153237.jpg
Any problem with that wrasse getting along with fairy wrasses?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I'm joining in this thread as I'm soon (couple 3 months) going to have a wrasse dominated tank. I'm working my way through the almost 700 pages of this thread. LOL
Enjoy it! I got to page 200 and then gave up because my collection of wrasse is nothing compared to some of these wrasse collections.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is for 2 possibly 3 leopards ( ornate or blue star) , a melanarus or vrolics, a Labout fairy and a radiant and/or a canary.
Whaddaya think ?
To me that’s great - Add the two-three leopards around the same time, the three Halichoeres may not have the best of introduction if you do the melanurus first (Add the melanurus last), Labouti’s can be kind of aggressive but apparently not even close to the scottorum group’s aggression, Radiants and Canary will get along fine (These are the other two Halichoeres) due to coloration.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that’s great - Add the two-three leopards around the same time, the three Halichoeres may not have the best of introduction if you do the melanurus first (Add the melanurus last), Labouti’s can be kind of aggressive but apparently not even close to the scottorum group’s aggression, Radiants and Canary will get along fine (These are the other two Halichoeres) due to coloration.
Thanks! I have SaltyT to thank for help with my choices.
so for order of introduction I was thinking the leopards first, then the radiant, canary and melanarus and finally the Labouts.
Does that sound about right? Availability will of course be a factor as I’ll be getting them all from candy corals so they won’t be shipped.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have SaltyT to thank for help with my choices.
so for order of introduction I was thinking the leopards first, then the radiant, canary and melanarus and finally the Labouts.
Does that sound about right? Availability will of course be a factor as I’ll be getting them all from candy corals so they won’t be shipped.
To me that’s a perfect introduction.

I nearly pulled the trigger on what looked like a supermale mccoskers flasher (African). It had a big personality but it was from a store that has a bad reputation at the moment and I have no QT tank..

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that’s a perfect introduction.

I nearly pulled the trigger on what looked like a supermale mccoskers flasher (African). It had a big personality but it was from a store that has a bad reputation at the moment and I have no QT tank..
I was advised against a flasher since my tank is quite low, only 17”
I’m lucky to have a high quality shop that I can go to for fish. It’s a 2 hour drive each way but it’s worth it. Candycorals.ca
He can get anything and takes very good care of them while they’re in his care.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised against a flasher since my tank is quite low, only 17”
I’m lucky to have a high quality shop that I can go to for fish. It’s a 2 hour drive each way but it’s worth it. Candycorals.ca
He can get anything and takes very good care of them while they’re in his care.
What length is your tank? Mines a 4’x2’x18” so has just enough room for a flasher (I’d only do one in that tank since it’s almost completely stocked though).
Any wrasse will jump because they’re usually found anywhere from 3meters to 60 meters so the surface isn’t actually right above them meaning that when they get spooked they go up which in the aquarium there’s usually only 22-23” so when they shoot up, they end up surfing either the lid or carpet.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 48" x 20" x 18"
Jumping is certainly a concern. Have people found that a more flexible or stiffer lid to be better? I would think a stiff lid would lead to more injuries ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 48" x 20" x 18"
Jumping is certainly a concern. Have people found that a more flexible or stiffer lid to be better? I would think a stiff lid would lead to more injuries ?
Haha.. Stiff lids and injuries are high, I have a fine mesh on mine (Used to be a stiffer mesh and the first naoko I had died of spinal injury). My newer (6 month old) naoko jumped but the fine mesh lid bounced him back into the tank and he was just stressed - Dont try to scrape the glass too often in an 18” cube (Grow out) is what I learnt.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crappy phone camera, bit this is Sir Elton John, or 6 line. We love this guy always tooling around looking for snacks.
He “looks” happy!
I found an old photo of my Sixline wrasse in my 3’ tank.
645C0A62-1834-45E9-A19A-45F2A8E34638.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Availability will of course be a factor as I’ll be getting them all from candy corals so they won’t be shipped.
This is huge with regard to the radiant as they ship poorly. In my experience the larger specimens do worse than the smaller, especially if they are "drop shipped ". Best way is to watch it at your LFS for a few weeks or get it from someone like TSM. Not solely because they fully QT the fish but that it stays with them for a month recovering from shipping and eating well. Not sure anyone is collecting off the coast of Africa now so you might have a wait. Worth it though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Hogfishes too. Yellow Candy, Red Stripe, Izu and some of the super rare deepwater species. Yellow Candy seems the easiest to get and not too expensive.
It’s the same here, I love hogfish just as much as I love the other genera (Tusks I don’t find to be as attractive as things like fairies, leopards, tamarin, flashers ect..)
My favourite “hogfish” is Terelabrus dewapyle after seeing two in person in my LFS. I nearly pulled the trigger on an impulse buy (I knew it was a wrasse of some sort but not the full species - I already had wrasse so I knew the basics), I wish I did buy it now I know it’s a relatively new hogfish/wrasse. Those two were going at a relatively cheap price of £89 ($119) too.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is the wrasse lovers thread. How can I get a 6 line to play nice with others?
Probably not possible if you’re having issues. It’s a bully. Mine is fine with lots of fish. Just some it hates. I’ll not be getting another one of these. My lfs told me to get it and said it was such a nice friendly fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back