The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him for maybe a year and at first he was fine then I added a royal gramma to the tank and he killed it. Well that started his killing spree he had now killed 4 clowns a cb the royal gramma and I don’t even remember what else. I honestly can’t put anything with him or they will die.

lfs said oh yea that’s a really good fish you’ll love it I went back after all these fish were gone and said you could have told me it didn’t play well with others

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine almost didn’t believe me when I told him my 6 line killed a new wrasse. Part of why I totally stopped trusting anything the stores tell me. Sometimes they’re right I know but just gotta always do all your own research. Love and learn. Take out the wrasse is the only answer if you want more fish. Give it back to the store.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen pictures of species from that genus, not sure if it’s the one you mentioned, but they do look very pretty and don’t get big. From some videos I’ve seen of Hogfishes, they’ve got more personality and seen more inquisitive than your average Fairy / Flasher / Halichoeres / Leopard Wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not possible if you’re having issues. It’s a bully. Mine is fine with lots of fish. Just some it hates. I’ll not be getting another one of these. My lfs told me to get it and said it was such a nice friendly fish.
I hate it when the LFS pulls you into the trap of buying an aggressive fish and they say “Oh it’s peaceful and won’t attack anything”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen pictures of species from that genus, not sure if it’s the one you mentioned, but they do look very pretty and don’t get big. From some videos I’ve seen of Hogfishes, they’ve got more personality and seen more inquisitive than your average Fairy / Flasher / Halichoeres / Leopard Wrasse.
Here’s a photo of Terelabrus dewapyle, absolutely beautiful fish (Even nicer in person!!)
If they got along with my other wrasse I’d be asking my LFS to get one in.
16B5B922-E393-4A04-A88E-F44B4D3915AD.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problem with that wrasse getting along with fairy wrasses?
No issue what so ever. It is actually really chilled out and goes about its own way. It is actually a Flasher wrasse, and thus, should not have any issues with fairy wrasse in theory. It will end up growing to be the biggest wrasse in the tank.

I have a Pintail Fairy wrasse and a Crescent Tail fairy wrasse in the tank along with the Eightline Flasher wrasse. I had a few other Fairy wrasses in the tank, BUT, lost them for unknown reasons...UGH!!! I plan on adding one or two more wrasses in the tank.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is for you @SaltyT. They already ate so not super hungry but potters never says no.
rhomboid, flame and McCosker are separate as rhomboid is growing and flame is evil lol

Love that Pintail Fairy wrasse in the video. A Rhomboid Fairy wrasse is next on my list.

20211106_153717.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brand new mccoskers flasher wrasse:
7F767C84-AADF-493D-A6D1-EB7EEF5E0E1C.jpeg
he’s my first Wrasse.
I’m jealous, if I get a flasher I’d want it to be an African mccoskers with the nice sheen of blue however I doubt I will because my LFS gets in wrasse that are like 1” and mine are all hitting 2-4”, with one pushing 5”.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to beat pintail. Rhomboid is my number one fairy.
your pintail spend most of his time at water surface?some seem to.
It's all over the tank along with my Eightline Flasher wrasse.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is for you @SaltyT. They already ate so not super hungry but potters never says no.
rhomboid, flame and McCosker are separate as rhomboid is growing and flame is evil lol

We have similar wrasse tastes Crabby48. :D

Mine love nori too. It may be the easiest way to photograph mine. Even the relatively new C. earlei joins in. Nori....it's not just for tangs!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine love nori too. It may be the easiest way to photograph mine. Even the relatively new C. earlei joins in. Nori....it's not just for tangs!

My wrasses pick Nori from my hands, WAY, before my tangs do...LOL!!! My Pintail couldn't care less, it is like, come on, JUST FEED ME!!! ;Hilarious

THAT'S what I love about wrasses, they dare to do the impossible. They almost have a puppy dog like personality.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can’t go wrong with any wrasse. Nice score with the earlei! I just learned to use nori to get photos lol. Can’t wait to have them all in new tank to start stocking more. Leopards is what I want to stock heavy on. If it’s edible wrasse don’t seem to care to much

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with any wrasse. Nice score with the earlei! I just learned to use nori to get photos lol. Can’t wait to have them all in new tank to start stocking more. Leopards is what I want to stock heavy on. If it’s edible wrasse don’t seem to care to much
I believe a lot of people with 6-line wrasses would like to have a word with you.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new little 6 line isn't eating pellets, flakes or frozen? He just searches for pods and pests all day. Been in the tank 4 days now. Seems healthy and swim s everywhere. I would like to see him eat though. He is wild caught and LFS said he was eating spectrum pellets fine but not in my tank.

Any thoughts?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new little 6 line isn't eating pellets, flakes or frozen? He just searches for pods and pests all day. Been in the tank 4 days now. Seems healthy and swim s everywhere. I would like to see him eat though. He is wild caught and LFS said he was eating spectrum pellets fine but not in my tank.

Any thoughts?
I would try to get some pods, at least, until it learns that their are other means of food available.

If it was eating pellets, then it may take a bit for it to learn it's new environment and also eat the pellets. I always error on the side of caution and have any other mean of food that it may eat. If pods are what it is looking for currently, then I would find a way to get more pods, sorry.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to get some pods, at least, until it learns that their are other means of food available.

If it was eating pellets, then it may take a bit for it to learn it's new environment and also eat the pellets. I always error on the side of caution and have any other mean of food that it may eat. If pods are what it is looking for currently, then I would find a way to get more pods, sorry.
I dosed 2 containers og algaebarn pods a few days before I got him. I have doubts about algaebarn pod success rate though. Have used them 4 times and I can never see any pods after pouring that stuff in the tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back