The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 2 containers og algaebarn pods a few days before I got him. I have doubts about algaebarn pod success rate though. Have used them 4 times and I can never see any pods after pouring that stuff in the tank.
Which ones of Algaebarn did you go with? I also use Algaebarn, thus the question. I have found that the Ecopods are far better. I used the 5280 pods in the past, BUT, found that their Ecopods are so much better. My Blue Star Leopard wrasse tears them up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones of Algaebarn did you go with? I also use Algaebarn, thus the question. I have found that the Ecopods are far better. I used the 5280 pods in the past, BUT, found that their Ecopods are so much better. My Blue Star Leopard wrasse tears them up.
On their advice I went with 5280 and tig pods.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost confidence in them to supply me a live product unfortunately. 4 times seems like enough opportunity to see some results. All I ever see in those containers is floating specs of dust.
I am truly sorry you have seen that. I have a subscription with them because I believe in what they are shipping. I also noticed what looked like dead pods when I purchased 5280 pod, BUT, you have to remember that they send pods that are usually not born yet in hopes that they are born bye the time you get them, it is truly a crap shoot as they do not control shipping after they actually ship them. I have noticed that the Ecopods have a far better life spam as their are more strains of pods vs. the 5280. I have not yet received a jar of Ecopods, and some have gone thru some bad shipping experiences, meaning 3-4 day shipping, and not seen a ton of activity in the jar.

@AlgaeBarn

Last edited:

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to reefing and the used tank I purchased (40g breeder) came with a 6 line wrasse and 3 other fish. Scopus tang, lawnmower blenny, and yellowtail blue damsel.

Everyone seems to get along splendidly and the wrasse is by far the shyest and least aggressive excluding the blenny probably.

But I keep hearing about how aggressive they can be with other/new fish.

Any indicators to look for before adding another fish? Or just add one and hope? Lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly sorry you have seen that. I have a subscription with them because I believe in what they are shipping. I also noticed what looked like dead pods when I purchased 5280 pod, BUT, you have to remember that they send pods that are usually not born yet in hopes that they are born bye the time you get them, it is truly a crap shoot as they do not control shipping after they actually ship them. I have noticed that the Ecopods have a far better life spam as their are more strains of pods vs. the 5280. I have not yet received a jar of Ecopods, and some have gone thru some bad shipping experiences, meaning 3-4 day shipping, and not seen a ton of activity in the jar.

@AlgaeBarn
I don't put complete fault with them. The shipping they use sucks. My package takes multiple days to arrive and has been sitting in a hot truck all day. Package is very warm to the touch when they hand it to me so I'm not surprised the pods are dead on arrival even though algaebarn will say they can survive that type of shipping environment.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all my wrasse loving hobbyists, I wanted to share my anecdotal evidence on the effect of lanthanum chloride (e.g. phosphate rx).

I current have been keeping 1 anampses femininus wrasse, 1 diamond tail flasher wrasse, and 1 madagascar flasher wrasse in a tank with 1 kole tang and 2 clownfish. They have been healthy and in my system for 18+ months.

In the last 4 times that I have used lanthanum chloride (phosphate rx) to reduce phosphates in my tank, I have noticed that if dose directly in front of my skimmer intake and not into a 10 micron filter sock, my two flasher wrasses hide in the rockrock with heavy breathing while the remaining fish are acting normal. After I place a 10 micron sock and maybe 3-4 hours afterwards, the two flashers come out from hiding and appear to be breathing more normally. I also have a gigantea anemone and squamosa clam that appear unaffected immediately by the dosing .

For context, the phosphate reduction is very little going from 0.17ppm to 0.05ppm.

Just a warning for all my wrasse loving folks to make sure to always use lanthanum chloride with caution and always dose into the a 10 micron filter sock.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new little 6 line isn't eating pellets, flakes or frozen? He just searches for pods and pests all day. Been in the tank 4 days now. Seems healthy and swim s everywhere. I would like to see him eat though. He is wild caught and LFS said he was eating spectrum pellets fine but not in my tank.

Any thoughts?
He could just be getting enough by picking on the rocks along with just learning his new environment. 4 days isn’t too long a time. I’m sure there are plenty of pods there even if you can’t see them. Sometimes a flashlight at night will reveal them. I see lots of critters in my tank at night with a flashlight sometimes.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could just be getting enough by picking on the rocks along with just learning his new environment. 4 days isn’t too long a time. I’m sure there are plenty of pods there even if you can’t see them. Sometimes a flashlight at night will reveal them. I see lots of critters in my tank at night with a flashlight sometimes.
I can't see anything tiny with my flashlight in there. I hope he is getting by. He is wild caught and tiny sized but swims around like a torpedo.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 so far..
IMG_9410_edit_1014967481148250.jpg
IMG_9402.JPG
IMG_9354_edit_724010494461397.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 so far..
IMG_9410_edit_1014967481148250.jpg
IMG_9402.JPG
IMG_9354_edit_724010494461397.jpg
Some beautiful wrasse! I love C. aquamarinus (Previously known as C. cf solorensis) aswell as that flasher (I assume P. mccoskeri).
The iridis looks beautiful and healthy! I honestly prefer the female colours to the male colours, but my favourite of your three is for sure C. solorensis and that may be one of my wrasses for my dream tank, along with several others. I may try get one as my last fish although I almost never see them around anymore unfortunately.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a thing with Tang not accepting Leopard? All other fish fine….
It’s a Orange Line Bristletooth Tang and Black Leopard
The second I put my Naso in my tank the 2 leopards I have started to fight almost instantly. Before that they were fine always swimming around and keeping the peace. It could have been good timing and one of them is transitioning to a male and picking on the other but the timing was WAY to perfect after adding the naso.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blonde Naso tang

20211025_183043.jpg

And it couldn't care less about anything other than a Zebrasoma tang.

I have a Divided Leopard wrasse.

Divided LEopard.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blonde Naso tang

20211025_183043.jpg

And it couldn't care less about anything other than a Zebrasoma tang.

I have a Divided Leopard wrasse.

Divided LEopard.jpg
Very pretty wrasse! I can’t wait to watch mine transition to an adult female!! It’ll be amazing to watch since I have grown her from about .25-.5”

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty wrasse! I can’t wait to watch mine transition to an adult female!! It’ll be amazing to watch since I have grown her from about .25-.5”
I have had several R2R members simply say, you just need to add another Leopard wrasse. I always say, I need to add another Divided Leopard wrasse. They say, WHY, and I always say that the male and female coloration is enough for me. ;)

Thus me looking at adding another Divided Leopard wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several R2R members simply say, you just need to add another Leopard wrasse. I always say, I need to add another Divided Leopard wrasse. They say, WHY, and I always say that the male and female coloration is enough for me. ;)

Thus me looking at adding another Divided Leopard wrasse.
I prefer the female colourations in all of the leopard wrasse genus, to me that’s nicer whereas a male bipartitus to me is just green and pink mixing, my LFS had two male bipartitus leopards in at once and I honestly kept going towards the females instead because they have that nicer computation but the juveniles have way more spots than the adult females you see in the stores.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. pylei and my B. bimaculatus both went into the display yesterday. So far no fighting with all the others, but this guy is gonna be really cool when he gets bigger.

20211110_192007.jpg
Very pretty!! I would love one just debating on what my final wrasse should be and wether I put in the money or get a more common one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back