The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for everyone. I came home today and I was like everyone is pretty much ignoring the new little guy (earl's) so let's let him out. Wrong. I had fed the tank so everyone was eating but as soon as they were done had some chasing, mainly from my pink-streaked wrasse. He chased him into everyone territory. He probably would have made it, but I didn't want to chance it, so lucky he was hanging out at the top (which is typical). So I was able net him and put him back in his acclimation box. A little bit of fins nipped. I left him out for about an hour. He's doing good now. Swimming around the box.

So my question is how long should I keep him in the acclimation box? He is the smallest fish in a 280 gallon display. Thought I was safe as no one would see him as a threat. Also next time he is getting released right before lights go out.

For wrasses in addition to the pink-streaked, I have a lineutus, and blue sided wrasse.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through aggression problems. Thought powder blue then started pulling wrasse. Problem was all wrasse was stress and kicking each other’s bits because my borbs kept them in one corner. She never did it in front of me as she was my baby and she followed every move I made. Then I installed a camera and caught her. She was 3 1/2” or bigger
Either way I'm adding a group or pair of them when I do. My male bimac runs everyone except the tangs.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a blue spotted tamarin yesterday (Anampses caeruleopunctatus).
Uncommon fish, first one I’ve ever seen in person. It’s stunning, eating in its observation tank
Sorry for not being able to get a better picture.

685E8505-6C23-41DA-8DFD-7FFB2FCC2261.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a blue spotted tamarin yesterday (Anampses caeruleopunctatus).
Uncommon fish, first one I’ve ever seen in person. It’s stunning, eating in its observation tank
Sorry for not being able to get a better picture.

685E8505-6C23-41DA-8DFD-7FFB2FCC2261.png
Very pretty tamarin you have! These to me aren’t just uncommon but are rare to find, I have never seen one in person but have seen a few other “Rare” wrasse such as femininus, jordani, Katherines, Labouti’s, ect..
Good luck with it!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for everyone. I came home today and I was like everyone is pretty much ignoring the new little guy (earl's) so let's let him out. Wrong. I had fed the tank so everyone was eating but as soon as they were done had some chasing, mainly from my pink-streaked wrasse. He chased him into everyone territory. He probably would have made it, but I didn't want to chance it, so lucky he was hanging out at the top (which is typical). So I was able net him and put him back in his acclimation box. A little bit of fins nipped. I left him out for about an hour. He's doing good now. Swimming around the box.

So my question is how long should I keep him in the acclimation box? He is the smallest fish in a 280 gallon display. Thought I was safe as no one would see him as a threat. Also next time he is getting released right before lights go out.

For wrasses in addition to the pink-streaked, I have a lineutus, and blue sided wrasse.

Thanks for the help
How long has he been in there? Personally I've always released them from the acclimation box after a day or 2 and it has almost always worked out just fine. Might want to wait till your lights are off before releasing him and hang a mirror on the side of your tank.

I've added a teeny tiny bristletooth tang to my tank a few weeks ago, never realizing he was even smaller than my azure damsel at the time. Damsel went berserk right away, so I turned the lights off and hung a mirror on the tank for a few days. Aggression is gone and everyone's happy again.

Whenever I did have some wrasse aggression towards the new guys (I had a yellowtail fairy that was just nasty to any new flasher I added), I liked to do a big feeding and at the same time remove the top of the acclimation box. Usually the chaos from feeding time would distract the resident fish enough to not care about the new guy joining the frenzy.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick early morning pics of the gang. I noticed my chrysus has gained quite some weight over the last month or so. Last week I noticed the red and green head colors starting to come through. I guess she is going to be a he soon! Can't get it on camera yet, although with a bit of imagination you could see some very vague green coloration on his head.
20211114_095149.jpg

Mccosker doing great as always. Now that he's the only flasher left he is thriving. Gained a lot of weight (he is FAT) and flashing all day long. Out of the flashers I've kept so far, Mccoskers are without a doubt my favorite. So much personality and so chill.
20211114_094630.jpg

Mr. Stunner:
20211114_094236.jpg

This one's just hilarious to me. New squaretail bristletooth has buddied up with the chrysus. He follows him all day long and it's adorable.
20211114_095325.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick early morning pics of the gang. I noticed my chrysus has gained quite some weight over the last month or so. Last week I noticed the red and green head colors starting to come through. I guess she is going to be a he soon! Can't get it on camera yet, although with a bit of imagination you could see some very vague green coloration on his head.
20211114_095149.jpg

Mccosker doing great as always. Now that he's the only flasher left he is thriving. Gained a lot of weight (he is FAT) and flashing all day long. Out of the flashers I've kept so far, Mccoskers are without a doubt my favorite. So much personality and so chill.
20211114_094630.jpg

Mr. Stunner:
20211114_094236.jpg

This one's just hilarious to me. New squaretail bristletooth has buddied up with the chrysus. He follows him all day long and it's adorable.
20211114_095325.jpg
You have some of the nicest what I class as “Old world” wrasse ive seen!
I love the timorensis, very nice colours on them for sure!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some of the nicest what I class as “Old world” wrasse ive seen!
I love the timorensis, very nice colours on them for sure!
Thanks!
Do you mean old school?

The more rare ones that are posted here are beautiful as well, but I love the ''simple'' guys and gals just as much :) The timorensis is definitely my favorite. For some reason I think of it as some type of melanurus/leopard hybrid.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Do you mean old school?

The more rare ones that are posted here are beautiful as well, but I love the ''simple'' guys and gals just as much :) The timorensis is definitely my favorite. For some reason I think of it as some type of melanurus/leopard hybrid.
Yeah, That what I meant! Yeah, the Timor looks so much like the cross between a Leopard and Melanurus! I love the “simple” wrasses probably more than the rarer and pricier ones you get, but my favourite which although it’s a rarer wrasse in reality it’s one of the old school wrasses is the pintail fairy, I don’t think anything (Even lanceolatus) can compare to the splendid pintail. Although, my favourite affordable wrasse is the indo Lubbock, they just show basically every shade of purple and blue (The blue really comes out when they flash).

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty tamarin you have! These to me aren’t just uncommon but are rare to find, I have never seen one in person but have seen a few other “Rare” wrasse such as femininus, jordani, Katherines, Labouti’s, ect..
Good luck with it!
Thank you!
Here is a short video of the fish, it comes to show off at the end. I will be able to get better pictures once it is in the larger tank.
This guy is gonna get big, can't find much info on their captivity size, but it appears they can get to around 16" in the wild.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in there? Personally I've always released them from the acclimation box after a day or 2 and it has almost always worked out just fine. Might want to wait till your lights are off before releasing him and hang a mirror on the side of your tank.

I've added a teeny tiny bristletooth tang to my tank a few weeks ago, never realizing he was even smaller than my azure damsel at the time. Damsel went berserk right away, so I turned the lights off and hung a mirror on the tank for a few days. Aggression is gone and everyone's happy again.

Whenever I did have some wrasse aggression towards the new guys (I had a yellowtail fairy that was just nasty to any new flasher I added), I liked to do a big feeding and at the same time remove the top of the acclimation box. Usually the chaos from feeding time would distract the resident fish enough to not care about the new guy joining the frenzy.
Thanks for the advice. I think the only mistake was releasing him in the evening when lights were still on.

I'm thinking of releasing him tonight right before my lights go out, or tomorrow night. Seems to have totally recovered from the previous ordeal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I think the only mistake was releasing him in the evening when lights were still on.

I'm thinking of releasing him tonight right before my lights go out, or tomorrow night. Seems to have totally recovered from the previous ordeal.
I would release him tonight just after lights out, then feed them first thing tomorrow. I find that aggression goes down a bunch after the first feeding.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new family member for my mostly wrassse tank recently
D427AB69-D81F-491F-94FA-EA1E89C8CC0F.jpeg
F016FFE6-3B27-4DED-9F24-8F957B99498D.jpeg
5AFD447C-8FC7-4DFE-AA68-A643A583E6BF.jpeg
I would love one but I don’t want to risk it with already having a wrasse (Soon 2) that are known to be aggressive with other fairies.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love one but I don’t want to risk it with already having a wrasse (Soon 2) that are known to be aggressive with other fairies.
I decided this time to be really careful with what I chose and so far the chart on fairy wrasses has seemed to help. I’ve gotten all ones that should get along and they seem to. This guy is swimming around with the other ones like they’ve always known each other. Knocking on wood. Right now I’ve got a blue flasher. Mckosker flasher. Exquisite. And pintail for fairy and flashers. The other 4 live in the sand.

JediFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 90gal mixed-reef tank with multiple small coral frags. I have been concentrating on adding corals, but am now starting to add fish. Only fish in tank right now is a small Kaudern's Cardinalfish.

Tank has been running for 10 months.

I have in quarantine a "pair" of Blackspot Swallowtail angelfish (G. melanospilos), female ~4½", "male-to-be" ~5½" which will go into this tank.

Wanting to add some "peaceful" wrasses. So far I am planning two flashers (P. mccoskeri, P. lineopunctatus) and two fairies (C. exquisitus, C. katherinae}.

Is this feasible in a 90gal tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 90gal mixed-reef tank with multiple small coral frags. I have been concentrating on adding corals, but am now starting to add fish. Only fish in tank right now is a small Kaudern's Cardinalfish.

Tank has been running for 10 months.

I have in quarantine a "pair" of Blackspot Swallowtail angelfish (G. melanospilos), female ~4½", "male-to-be" ~5½" which will go into this tank.

Wanting to add some "peaceful" wrasses. So far I am planning two flashers (P. mccoskeri, P. lineopunctatus) and two fairies (C. exquisitus, C. katherinae}.

Is this feasible in a 90gal tank?
To me those guys will work out however I’d be careful with C. katherinae and Paracheilinus wrasses.

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, setting up a reefer 250, looking for a fairy or flasher wrasse/ maybe both? will be mixed reef no nano inverts, with some macro algae thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, setting up a reefer 250, looking for a fairy or flasher wrasse/ maybe both? will be mixed reef no nano inverts, with some macro algae thanks!
If I’m correct that’s 3’ long right?
If so then:
- C. lubbocki (Either of the variants but I find the info variant to stay smaller),
- C. isosceles (These tend to be larger wrasse at 4-5”)
- C. rhomboidalis (These can be the smaller of the wrasse and are relatively expensive),
- C. naokae (These can be more aggressive to other fairy wrasses)
They were just 4 examples, I don’t recommend flasher wrasses in that size tank since they dash around a lot more in smaller tanks.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back