The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Exquisite Wrasse be better than Katherine's? I'm not sure I'm impressed enough with Katherine's.

Considering spending the extra $$ for Exquisitus.
Yes but also, I think those guys loose the most colour since they’re mainly green but I can’t confirm it.

JediFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but also, I think those guys loose the most colour since they’re mainly green but I can’t confirm it.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was writing. I was already planning the C. exquisitus.

It was the Splendid Pintail, C. lanceolatus I was considering getting instead of the C. katherinae. How do you feel about that one?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was writing. I was already planning the C. exquisitus.

It was the Splendid Pintail, C. lanceolatus I was considering getting instead of the C. katherinae. How do you feel about that one?
The splendid pintail is now known as C. isosceles haha, I have seen 3 maybe 4 over 3 years and from what I know they tend to lose the stripe without a reason to flash or display. I haven’t seen my LFS’s splendid pintail under whites so I couldn’t tell you what other colour it loses. I would say go for it, these are more peaceful wrasse compared to others in the genus.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my pintail for about a year now. He's about 3" now and still with his stripe. Maybe because he has to "flash" against a pair of genicanthus or my bimac

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my pintail for about a year now. He's about 3" now and still with his stripe. Maybe because he has to "flash" against a pair of genicanthus or my bimac
Maybe, my LFS has a beautiful 4” male pintail and even without the stripe they have a very nice colour form. They keep the stripe going from the head to the start of the body but then it just stops and looks very nice.

JediFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The splendid pintail is now known as C. isosceles haha,
Duh, I already knew that... my bad. I'm quite comfortable with scientific names, been using them for several decades. But just like I got mixed up between "Exquisite" and "Splendid", I lost track of "lanceolatus" vs. "isosceles". Similar word-meanings in both cases. Don't worry, eventually I'll get my act together ;Joyful;Joyful;Joyful

I have seen 3 maybe 4 over 3 years and from what I know they tend to lose the stripe without a reason to flash or display.
From what I understand, losing color is pretty typical for fairy wrasses. I was hoping by keeping at least two flashers, and 2-3 fairy wrasses, the fish would be motivated to flash and therefore keep much of their color.

From my many years with freshwater, I understand that keeping one or more females often keeps males in their best colors. This is a notion I had to "unlearn" with regard to SW, particularly with wrasses, once I discovered female wrasses generally always transition to males even in the presence of a dominant male.

Not wanting my Swallowtail Angels to be harassed by aggressive wrasses, I worked with the chart put together by "evolved" to focus on least aggressive species. I'm not sure how much I needed to worry about this. There are certainly more strikingly colored fairy wrasses available. Maybe I can add one or two of these in the future.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy always worries me. Will disappear for a day or two making me thing he was lost to the pistol shrimp.
20211104_184940.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy always worries me. Will disappear for a day or two making me thing he was lost to the pistol shrimp.
20211104_184940.jpg
…Mines a demon now.
I went to look at my radiant and scales have been chewed off on one side, I’ve seen aggression between the two but it was minor. I’ll grab a photo quickly
image.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…Mines a demon now.
I went to look at my radiant and scales have been chewed off on one side, I’ve seen aggression between the two but it was minor. I’ll grab a photo quickly
image.jpg
Radiant show battle scars easily. Just rubbing on a rock will do it. They seem to have scales missing often

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiant show battle scars easily. Just rubbing on a rock will do it. They seem to have scales missing often
This is like 10-15 marks on her left side and around 2 on her right. I have seen her run on a rock but also a piece of her dorsal is torn so I think it’s the Jade that did most damage (It’s still minor though, not like tearing flesh and severe attacking).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best photo I could get during my Indo Lubbock’s flashing hours.
image.jpg

unfortunately it’s the worst iPhone photo I’ve ever gotten because hes fast for his size (probably 1.5”). He also has right half his body that has pink scales, I’ve only seen aggression with him and the Cebu, and that was him being the dominant of the two… Lubbock’s are peaceful they say haha, I realise it’s because they’re in the same complex and possibly the same species however, I’ve seen him become aggressive to my black margin fairy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…Mines a demon now.
image.jpg
as a reply to what I’m doing with the Jade getting aggressive,
The photo says it all
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're flicking it with rubber bands?
I wish - Unfortunately she is being taken back to the LFS and they’ll use her as “pest” removal in one of their frag tanks round the back

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got a redline wrasse and lots of pictures? I just saw one in my LFS yesterday and man are they GORGEOUS! I was soooo close to buying it, but for once in my life I decided to be responsible and not get it lol.
I’ve seen the females and the amount of times I came close to pulling the trigger is sickening, I think saltyT had one but I can’t remember if he put photos in his build thread.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the females and the amount of times I came close to pulling the trigger is sickening, I think saltyT had one but I can’t remember if he put photos in his build thread.
I believe this one was either transitioning or full out male, looked almost exactly like this:
1637484063291.png

Most of them look a bit meh on google images, but I was really impressed seeing one in real. Time for another tank upgrade I guess..... My wish list keeps growing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this one was either transitioning or full out male, looked almost exactly like this:
1637484063291.png

Most of them look a bit meh on google images, but I was really impressed seeing one in real. Time for another tank upgrade I guess..... My wish list keeps growing.
Mine keeps growing too, I finally found a fish I love though for sale and it was one of my dream fish (I’ve always wanted a tilefish and the past few weeks a flashing tilefish has been in the LFS but I never realised it until yesterday, reserved it and now to get the Jade out within a week).
Next goal is probably another wrasse to replace the Jade - Maybe next time I’ll avoid the Jade and go for another hali like cosmetus or maybe even the red, just not willing to risk my radiant’s scales again.

Okay, just looked up the male biocellatus and oh my god, it’s nothing like radiants or jades where the females look nicer, this guy looks good no matter what gender it is!
1C49F767-3B95-4246-B7CA-120E7E4EB34D.jpeg
1EC87197-2413-49C3-AC24-A34029211F77.jpeg

Both look beautiful! I don’t care which male I’d end up with if I got a female, I would love them, for sure flashy and similar to the melanurus.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was casually practicing my photo skills with my nano and this happened (All of them are so clear and not blurred!!!) I have no regrets making my lights white over blues, it truly shows their natural looks, I mean in the blues the Blue star’s face was pale/a faint tan but really it’s green!!
BC1D0723-F23C-4F1A-B21B-BC39AD9B14E3.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back