The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually surprised lapillus isn’t more sought after as its pretty much an easier leopard wrasse.

I don’t think they would react too badly as they’re peaceful species. You may see some aggression at first but that’ll most likely be due to them settling in.
Well I’m an addict so I told him hold the pair will pass and look at them in a few. The wrasse cove is getting full.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this pair
AF500661-D0F7-43D3-91EC-DF712EF891C1.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best two photos of my Cirrhilabrus naokoae flashing from tonight. My Lubbockis also flashed in my 4’ tank but I failed to get photos of those two.
2895AC43-45BA-4380-BDDB-C9F9F07FEC21.jpeg
D6BAC752-56FE-4472-9E45-F3D6D272B656.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
family breakfast this morning. everyone getting along fine so far. I feel like i got a steal on this guy at only $100.
For 100 that’s a steal, I think usually they’re 125 over there (Or Atleast over here they’re around £125 for a transitional/young male).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember passing on an A. chrysocephalus a week before the Hawaiian ban, biggest regret I have for now.
I cant pass on ones I really want. I do pass on many wrasse because room. Jewled was one I passed on a few years ago and held of because I wanted the choats. Thought jeweled looked to similar to give up space

Loving that hooded beautiful wrasse pintail is a must for me in any tank I have one of my top favorite wrasse.
I always said a pintail is mandatory but after loosing mine I decided to take a break. Total mystery death. Only thing I can think of was stress in a crowded tank but he didn’t look overly stressed for a heavy wrasse tank.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the pair from AMA? Andrew told me he was getting them in along with a few other wrasses. I just didn’t get a chance to go see them, but glad they’re going to good home..GL with them

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the pair from AMA? Andrew told me he was getting them in along with a few other wrasses. I just didn’t get a chance to go see them, but glad they’re going to good home..GL with them
What’s up MIKE NY long time.
no I did not get them from Andrew they are coming from reef shark Jay is a great guy gets most wrasses that I ask him to get for me.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest addition, its been around for close to 2 weeks now, totally living I think on a opposite schedule. Its the first I've seen it since I temp acclimated it and added it to the display. I Had to double check that it wasn't the existing Halichoeres claudia I have.

Say hello to the Halichoeres timorensis. I know, the pic is lame with no white, but I didn't want to spook anyone so close to lights out.
20220514_204854.jpg

BTW: you experts make me feel extra smart now that Im trying to learn the scientific names for all of these wrasses, lol.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 100 that’s a steal, I think usually they’re 125 over there (Or Atleast over here they’re around £125 for a transitional/young male).
I've been fortunate with getting them cost wise, lfs charges 50 for the first one bought it 18 months ago now, 2nd one was 80, bought in March went MIA within a day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW: you experts make me feel extra smart now that Im trying to learn the scientific names for all of these wrasses, lol.
Heres a couple ways to help with scientific names, what I did to memorise most scientific names (Not just wrasses but blennies, gobies, angels, tangs). First I learnt what the scientific names of wrasses I’ve kept in my personal tank were - Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, Halichoeres iridis, Pseudocheilinops ataenia, Halichoeres chloropterus, Halichoeres leucoxanthus, Cirrhilabrus naokoae, Macropharyngodon bipartitus, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus. Then once I learnt how to spell them (Spelling is more important than pronunciation) I moved on and slowly knocked out wrasses by looking at the common ones in LFSs near me, then eventually after getting most common/uncommon wrasses I’d go into depth and look into the rarer wrasses such as Cirrhilabrus roseafascia, Cirrhilabrus jordani, Paracheilinus nursalim, Macropharyngodon choati.

If you can memorise Atleast one wrasse from each genus, that makes it so much easier as you’ll then know how to do the genus. The tricky bit is the species name - The hardest wrasse I found to memorise is probably finifenmaa as I still confuse it with rubrisquamis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest addition, its been around for close to 2 weeks now, totally living I think on a opposite schedule. Its the first I've seen it since I temp acclimated it and added it to the display. I Had to double check that it wasn't the existing Halichoeres claudia I have.

Say hello to the Halichoeres timorensis. I know, the pic is lame with no white, but I didn't want to spook anyone so close to lights out.
20220514_204854.jpg

Also, that Timor is beautiful. And you got her at the right stage - Looks to still be a juvenile. So you’ll be able to see the transitioning phases, both when she transitions to male (If all other Halichoeres wrasses allow it) and when she matures.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
family breakfast this morning. everyone getting along fine so far. I feel like i got a steal on this guy at only $100.
Are we talking the pintail for $100?

In my neck of the woods in upstate NY, I bought 2 pintails a couple months apart for $60.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$100 is a good deal for a pintail C.isosceles that looks as good as that. ReefPro has them for $99 and I think I got mine from TSM for $130. And that's before the $45 shipping charge.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back