The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Vivien out like nothing happened. Went into the sand bed over a week ago with heavy breathing. Treated the DT with prazi twice and so far so good.

A1258238-9CF0-409B-B716-29C043EF0F8F.jpeg
I love your Bellus! My favorite Genicanthus!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivien out like nothing happened. Went into the sand bed over a week ago with heavy breathing. Treated the DT with prazi twice and so far so good.

A1258238-9CF0-409B-B716-29C043EF0F8F.jpeg
And do I see a chrysurus or leuxocanthus at the bottom?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do I see a chrysurus or leuxocanthus at the bottom?
It’s a Chrysus - Leucoxanthus has the white band go all the way down it’s body in a similar way to how Naokoae has the yellow band go all the way through to its caudal :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most annoying things is that today they told me that yesterday ‘someone‘ (me) had called them and later that evening they sold it. Seriously…..
So yesterday I said I was on the phone with WWC for a wrasse……..they kept putting me on hold :rolleyes: so I ended up calling again around 6 and was told ”oh yea yea we definitely have one of course it’s 3 inches I think can’t quite tell oh it just dove in the sand bed” I was like great, ‘little late for me to go so I’ll head there tomorrow’ I call again to make sure it’s still there and what am I told!? Oh I’m sorry the last one was sold last night :angry-face::angry-face::angry-face:

Why is it soooo hard to get myself the first wrasse! I keep having to post pone it :angry-face::anguished-face::rolleyes:
Honestly, if you have a better LFS to go to, I wouldn’t go to them anymore. Unfortunately it seems they’ve been going downhill recently and I doubt this will be a one time situation.
If it’s not possible for you to switch LFS’s, I would next time reserve it as soon as you hear it’s there. Earmuffs are very wanted by quite a few people and not there for very long (Especially if it’s still open hours).
If you can’t reserve it then, phone just a few minutes before closing time and see if it’s still there, if it is then you’re likely safe to go as long as you tell them to hold it :)

Hopefully you don’t have this situation again…

Those are just a few steps I take when I have a species I absolutely want in my LFS and I can’t get there in time but LFSs over here may work different to over there.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Chrysus - Leucoxanthus has the white band go all the way down it’s body in a similar way to how Naokoae has the yellow band go all the way through to its caudal :)
Thx! I couldn‘t see the lower body well so wasn’t sure.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what you guys think. Yesterday I saw a raffle on Facebook for a Flame Wrasse, probably my favorite wrasse out there. Obviously these aren't allowed to be collected, at the moment at least. I messaged the owner about how he sourced it, to which he responded "lol," so I feel like we all know what that means. So should something be done to report that somehow? I hate the Hawaii ban as much as the next guy, especially as someone who is dying to have one of these fish. Yet I can't help but think this is bad for the hobby's hope at finally getting back into Hawaii, and I can't help but wonder if the eventual winner of the auction is fully aware. I suppose to some extent it's not really my business, but just found it bothering me this morning :/

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you have a better LFS to go to, I wouldn’t go to them anymore. Unfortunately it seems they’ve been going downhill recently and I doubt this will be a one time situation.
If it’s not possible for you to switch LFS’s, I would next time reserve it as soon as you hear it’s there. Earmuffs are very wanted by quite a few people and not there for very long (Especially if it’s still open hours).
If you can’t reserve it then, phone just a few minutes before closing time and see if it’s still there, if it is then you’re likely safe to go as long as you tell them to hold it :)

Hopefully you don’t have this situation again…

Those are just a few steps I take when I have a species I absolutely want in my LFS and I can’t get there in time but LFSs over here may work different to over there.
I agree a better lfs. My lfs texts me when he is at the wholesalers if he sees a fish or coral i might like.
It’s the closest one…..30 minute drive cuz I live in the middle of no where lol. Well not nowhere but far to take the turnpike quickly. I’ve seen more and more of these situations with WWC recently but mostly the ‘Super Store’ Orlando one. The others would be TSA and the other WWC location in Winter Park about an hour away.

I’ve tried to reserve it before but they say I need to pay up upfront 50% of it to reserve it. Well at least that was for TSA haven’t tried WWC believe it would be the same thing but will have to try it.

The annoying thing is lol..the Winter Park WWC just got a full shipment of TONS of Fairy and Flashers plus a few other things I need. It’s just far though lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the closest one…..30 minute drive cuz I live in the middle of no where lol. Well not nowhere but far to take the turnpike quickly. I’ve seen more and more of these situations with WWC recently but mostly the ‘Super Store’ Orlando one. The others would be TSA and the other WWC location in Winter Park about an hour away.

I’ve tried to reserve it before but they say I need to pay up upfront 50% of it to reserve it. Well at least that was for TSA haven’t tried WWC believe it would be the same thing but will have to try it.

The annoying thing is lol..the Winter Park WWC just got a full shipment of TONS of Fairy and Flashers plus a few other things I need. It’s just far though lol.
I vote;
You take the hour trip! I do that currently and every part of it is worth it - I only do it once a week (Either Sunday or Saturday). Usually I’ll do it once or twice a month however recently I’ve been doing that trip for a few weeks now and it’s been 100% worth it every time. Generally over here, if you’re a common customer they will reserve it without the need of 50% but if you’re a newbie they’ll ask for a certain percentage before you can reserve :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote;
You take the hour trip! I do that currently and every part of it is worth it - I only do it once a week (Either Sunday or Saturday). Usually I’ll do it once or twice a month however recently I’ve been doing that trip for a few weeks now and it’s been 100% worth it every time. Generally over here, if you’re a common customer they will reserve it without the need of 50% but if you’re a newbie they’ll ask for a certain percentage before you can reserve :)
I may take it we’ll see. I’ve got plans to meet up with people later today so that is also something holding me back from the trip.

Lol. Newbie shmewbie crap I’ve been with TSA since 2020 yet they still do this to me lol. And trust me I go A LOT. WWC in Winter Park I have established I think good relations with them. They treat me a lot and much better than normally any other customers. It was on here a few months ago that Shaun or Sean, which is who is very very kind to me honoring deals weeks after those have passed reserving for days keeping me posted on what’s coming in the fish and coral shipments, even offered me a job there lol, was in an accident and has been in a coma. Hopefully he gets better and I’ll see him again.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what you guys think. Yesterday I saw a raffle on Facebook for a Flame Wrasse, probably my favorite wrasse out there. Obviously these aren't allowed to be collected, at the moment at least. I messaged the owner about how he sourced it, to which he responded "lol," so I feel like we all know what that means. So should something be done to report that somehow? I hate the Hawaii ban as much as the next guy, especially as someone who is dying to have one of these fish. Yet I can't help but think this is bad for the hobby's hope at finally getting back into Hawaii, and I can't help but wonder if the eventual winner of the auction is fully aware. I suppose to some extent it's not really my business, but just found it bothering me this morning :/
The ban happened just 2 years ago it's possible that this wrasse was collected prior to the ban and was in someone's private collection before being offered. Fairy wrasses can live several years.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ban happened just 2 years ago it's possible that this wrasse was collected prior to the ban and was in someone's private collection before being offered. Fairy wrasses can live several years.
That's what I'd assumed / rationalized myself haha. The thing that threw me was the "lol" response, which seems to suggest a less above board means to acquire it. Idk

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do fairies generally live 5-6 years due to being brought in as males most often? Or is that just for the Paracheilinus genus?

I’ve always thought both only live 3-5 years but my lubbocki’s are going over 3 years in captivity soon.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'd assumed / rationalized myself haha. The thing that threw me was the "lol" response, which seems to suggest a less above board means to acquire it. Idk
As salty said likely from a private tank. High dollar for a fish that may only have a few years. No thanks. Did you see the fish to confirm jordani? Could also be the hooded flame though they wouldn’t be going through the trouble of an auction or doing any “lol”-ing.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do fairies generally live 5-6 years due to being brought in as males most often? Or is that just for the Paracheilinus genus?

I’ve always thought both only live 3-5 years but my lubbocki’s are going over 3 years in captivity soon.
Fairies have a longer lifespan than flashers. They typically live 5-8yrs in captivity.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been offered Hawaiian fish. I have yet to reply. Not sure how I feel.

I live in Atlanta and there isn't a reasonable LFS within Atlanta. My favorite is 30 minutes away at least (Atlanta traffic is the worst) and I often visit twice a week. I also have the owners number so I can text whatever fish I want and he will usually reserve 24 hours if I don't pay up front. Indefinitely if I do. It seems crazy they won't do that for you.

Admittedly I was burned by another LFS. I wanted a school of chalk bass and ordered in 5. They got 5 in just for me but by the time I got in the next day they had sold 4 of them. Like the whole point was for me to add 5 at the same time to avoid aggression
Face Palm What GIF by SWR3

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I would agree with @Salty and say that it’s possible the wrasse is 2 years in captivity, that ‘Lol’ reply makes me sceptical too. If it’s 2-3 years+ in captivity, you would generally mention that hit the fact it wasn’t says it’s been collected under the radar.
My further LFS has a £300 5”-6” Yellow and a purple that’s the size of a small-medium dinner plate (no seriously).
This LFS also has a beautiful potters which if I didn’t have clams I would’ve collected already.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the store does maintenance for peoples tanks they probably got it from a breakdown. The store I used to work at has a Potter’s angel, flame wrasse, and some Hawaii yellow tangs in the displays they acquired post shutdown from tank breakdowns.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ones I offered were illegal. I helped a friend of a friend set up a tank and he has friends who dive in Hawaii and apparently they're getting him fish. I was offered some as a thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back