The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly I was burned by another LFS. I wanted a school of chalk bass and ordered in 5. They got 5 in just for me but by the time I got in the next day they had sold 4 of them. Like the whole point was for me to add 5 at the same time to avoid aggression
Oh I love Chalk Bass! My favorite nano fish! And not so nano lol

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ones I offered were illegal. I helped a friend of a friend set up a tank and he has friends who dive in Hawaii and apparently they're getting him fish. I was offered some as a thank you.
Hmmmm. I would be torn between
“What FWC doesn’t know won’t hurt them”
And just pure cognitive dissonance.
Either way I woulda taken em’ :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife was in the tank yesterday scrubbing algae off rocks. Lids off, Exquisite wrasse decided to try and fly. Jumped out and landed on the hardwood floor. Wife quickly scooped him up and put him back and he bolted for the rocks, not to be seen again the rest of the day.

This morning, out and about begging for food like nothing happened.

Moral of the story. Lids are good and keeping wrasses fat can help buffer the crash when they discover they don't have wings. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife was in the tank yesterday scrubbing algae off rocks. Lids off, Exquisite wrasse decided to try and fly. Jumped out and landed on the hardwood floor. Wife quickly scooped him up and put him back and he bolted for the rocks, not to be seen again the rest of the day.

This morning, out and about begging for food like nothing happened.

Moral of the story. Lids are good and keeping wrasses fat can help buffer the crash when they discover they don't have wings. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It’s even better when wrasses discover they can get into the sump… Ive had my Indonesian Lubbocki and my Naoko get into the back chamber/sump of my tanks. Neither were fun to get out however the lubbocki was certainly harder as it had more room to swim in the sump.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for the wrasses on my list for the last 4-5 months, since I got the tank set back up and I swear I’m about to just start taping photos of some of y’all’s on my tank. I’m getting sooooo tired of checking online every day just to see the same fish. Ughhhh why did my tank have to leak last year. Lol

KassScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I love Chalk Bass! My favorite nano fish! And not so nano lol
Why do you love chalk bass. While looking for potential fish I saw them but maybe the pics in the stores just weren’t complementary or something? So wasn’t sure why? I’m asking legit question not as a put down. Are they dun to watch or prettier in pictures? Just haven’t been on my radar much but I’m open for anything.
And also….. IM OFFICIALLY A WRASSE OWNER!!! Mine came in today. A flavianalis, carpenteri and octotaenia. All are currently drip acclimating then will go into my qt for a bit. Pics to follow….

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you love chalk bass. While looking for potential fish I saw them but maybe the pics in the stores just weren’t complementary or something? So wasn’t sure why? I’m asking legit question not as a put down. Are they dun to watch or prettier in pictures? Just haven’t been on my radar much but I’m open for anything.
And also….. IM OFFICIALLY A WRASSE OWNER!!! Mine came in today. A flavianalis, carpenteri and octotaenia. All are currently drip acclimating then will go into my qt for a bit. Pics to follow….
They are very pretty and much better looking than in photos. Much better. They are super peaceful can be in nanos are great for larger systems as well and can be kept in groups with very little bickering IME. Hardy and eat anything lol. They are interesting to watch as they go through the rocks but also as they sometimes decide to hover in a spot kinda like an Anthias but moves all its fins around to stay put like a maniac lol. The colors are really nice as well I love them lol.

KassScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very pretty and much better looking than in photos. Much better. They are super peaceful can be in nanos are great for larger systems as well and can be kept in groups with very little bickering IME. Hardy and eat anything lol. They are interesting to watch as they go through the rocks but also as they sometimes decide to hover in a spot kinda like an Anthias but moves all its fins around to stay put like a maniac lol. The colors are really nice as well I love them lol.
Ok well I’m sold. Haha. Just didn’t know. Lol. Thank you!!

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live outside the Phoenix are an my closest LFS is over 30minutes one way. That's without the Phoenix traffic, or good old ADOT closing freeways on the weekend as well. I do make a trip once a week on Saturdays, The Manager knows what I like and see something will get it for me. Got my Hooded Fairy from him, too.

I make the trip without fail.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the wrasse community. I’ve got a 50 gallon display tank, with a large sump (40 gallon). Currently I have an adorned wrasse along with the following:
Pair of clowns
Watchman goby
Royal gramma
Juvenile Tomini tang

Would it be pushing the stocking limits of my tank to think about adding another wrasse? Do you have any reef safe recommendations that would be compatible with my Adorned wrasse. Thanks

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the wrasse community. I’ve got a 50 gallon display tank, with a large sump (40 gallon). Currently I have an adorned wrasse along with the following:
Pair of clowns
Watchman goby
Royal gramma
Juvenile Tomini tang

Would it be pushing the stocking limits of my tank to think about adding another wrasse? Do you have any reef safe recommendations that would be compatible with my Adorned wrasse. Thanks
What are the dimensions of the tank? I’m guessing that with 50 gallons it’s a 3 footer? Your Halichoeres cosmetus is a nice wrasse. A little restricted with wrasse additions but a Macropharyngodon like a bipartitus or negrosensis would be my suggestion. Obviously it along with cosmetus will outgrow the tank but that will be in a bit. Make sure to add tons of pods to the tank for a Macropharyngodon. A fairy or flasher…maybe depending on what you get. Personally I wouldn’t add one as they especially the smaller ones better suited for your tank are very docile so a smaller sized tank with lots of action from other fish may prove problematic especially with that already established cosmetus though the only fish that are really swimming is a tang and the clowns and gramma peeping in and out so really it could or could not work. Though if you really do want to get one maybe a Cirrhilabrus lunatus?

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what’s the time frame for the male/female color difference. I believe mine is still considered a juvenile? I’ve enjoyed him/her for the last 3-4 months

Attachments

• 6F4B3D1A-5785-41B0-B36E-6422BCE65F44.jpeg
    6F4B3D1A-5785-41B0-B36E-6422BCE65F44.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 29

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back