The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just glad that if it is a busy thread, after a couple notifications, they stop.
Haha, yeah
Although sometimes that’s also a nightmare as I have missed a few notifications that may have been important but oh well

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be alright, if both are juvenile then I think you should be even better as they can grow and sort out the hierarchy.
I’d place my bets on the king being the moyeri as they seem slightly more aggressive.
Tell that to my melgaris! This moyers is a little chicken. Even the stary blenny scares it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell that to my melgaris! This moyers is a little chicken. Even the stary blenny scares it.
Wow! Melagris are meant to be peaceful compared to mothers too.
Then again, my Chloropterus is meant to be aggressive… My iridis seems to boss him around more than he bosses the iridis.

reefrookie379

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a WaterBox 110 and most of the fish I would like to add read mature tank needed. On the list I have a mystery wrasse. I found one available sized 1-2” To my understanding it is in the line family with the six line and can be aggressive to newcomers so I am hesitant to put him ahead of my other fish I would like to do. A few threads have stated to add line wrasse last. I have two clowns in there for the moment would it be best to leave them in there for the forthcoming months to help “mature” the tank before adding my other coiches ahead of the wrasse or would the young wrasse be fine with new additions in the future. Thanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Flame/Magma wrasses pretty rare?
The Flame Fairy Wrasse is different to the Magma Fairy Wrasse.
Flames are Cirrhilabrus jordani which as said above are no longer available as they’re Hawaiian endemic. These when they were available were actually rather more rare and pricing was up there in the 3 digits - I saw a male sold for £400 over here, that same male was killed off by copper.

Magmas are Cirrhilabrus shutmani which are available still as they’re found around the Babyuan Islands in the Philippines. They’re rather uncommon to rare depending on where you are and when they come in I’m pretty sure they’re being in as females or young males. If they make it through to the West then that is extremely lucky as I’m pretty sure most that come in are picked off by the East in Asia (Most rare fish land in Asia and are most often picked out from the more common lot).

Here’s a comparison of the two, Cirrhilabrus jordani is on the top and Cirrhilabrus shutmani is on the bottom. I don’t believe anyone on R2R actually owns Shutmani (I accidentally passed on one because I didn’t realise it was a shutmani at the time - which used to be way up in my dream wrasses and is still up there but not as far up as it once was).
C6F0DF2F-9ECC-4970-9F2F-0E35A3DB0E33.jpeg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a WaterBox 110 and most of the fish I would like to add read mature tank needed. On the list I have a mystery wrasse. I found one available sized 1-2” To my understanding it is in the line family with the six line and can be aggressive to newcomers so I am hesitant to put him ahead of my other fish I would like to do. A few threads have stated to add line wrasse last. I have two clowns in there for the moment would it be best to leave them in there for the forthcoming months to help “mature” the tank before adding my other coiches ahead of the wrasse or would the young wrasse be fine with new additions in the future. Thanks.

I would not add a mystery wrasse first if you plan to stock a bunch of wrasses. Leaving the clowns is fine in my opinion.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just at the LFS and he has 2 nice H. chrysus. Will this wrasse play nice with my Vivien? 20220524_184713.jpg
Halichoeres chrysus is one of the smaller species of Halichoeres wrasse (5”) so it will share a similar behaviour to that of Iridis, Leucoxanthus, Timorensis ect.

If the Chrysus is female then they should get along and not have the aggression until a later date if you did manage to get an aggressive one.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres chrysus is one of the smaller species of Halichoeres wrasse (5”) so it will share a similar behaviour to that of Iridis, Leucoxanthus, Timorensis ect.

If the Chrysus is female then they should get along and not have the aggression until a later date if you did manage to get an aggressive one.
IIRC they both had the 2 eyespots and were about 2", so juv/female? Not sure if I want to put another pod competitor in with the Vivien. The yellow would look good in the tank though. Hmmm...

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse compatibility question - I'm looking at getting either a Yellow Coris Wrasse or an Exquisite Wrasse to go with a Christmas Wrasse. Would either of these be compatible with the Christmas? Also, which would you chooose? I think the exquisites are very pretty, but the coris seems more practical (eating flatworms, etc) and is also still pretty! Thank you for any input!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse compatibility question - I'm looking at getting either a Yellow Coris Wrasse or an Exquisite Wrasse to go with a Christmas Wrasse. Would either of these be compatible with the Christmas? Also, which would you chooose? I think the exquisites are very pretty, but the coris seems more practical (eating flatworms, etc) and is also still pretty! Thank you for any input!
Got a photo of the christmas?
Going off of the name being just “Christmas Qrasse” can hint to many wrasses. A photo will be best if you’re unsure which species you have.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC they both had the 2 eyespots and were about 2", so juv/female? Not sure if I want to put another pod competitor in with the Vivien. The yellow would look good in the tank though. Hmmm...
Having the eye spot, and fin spot, and being only 2", most likely both female.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @i cant think , not sure what a christmas wrasse is?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the eye spot, and fin spot, and being only 2", most likely both female.
+1 to this, also if the Vivienne is eating frozen already then you should be alright as leopards don’t appear to eat as many pods in general. I find it’s often a big misconception that people make thinking they’re like mandarins and need a HUGE pod supply, yes they need a decent amount of pods but it doesn’t necessarily need to be as big as a Mandy’s.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @i cant think , not sure what a christmas wrasse is?
A Christmas wrasse can be either;
Halichoeres ornatissimus, Halichoeres biocellatus, Thalassoma trilobatum, Halichoeres claudia and I think there’s another couple that go under the common name “Christmas Wrasse”

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back