The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went a little crazy at the LFS but how could I resist these 3 healthy and eating beauties?
Question though, can I add a Coris gaimard to the tank with the radiant wrasse in the future?

tempImageO3nnOw.png
tempImageSNMNrz.png
Very Nice Blue Star one of my favorites

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
managed to grab an orange back this weekend locally....and then my tiny like 2" atlantic blue tang decided he didn't like other fish in the qt tank...

tangs off to the display, orangeback seems un hurt but is doing typical wrasse dramatics. pics later

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snagged this beauty from the LFS today. Cirrhilabrus katherinae.

20220918_164206.jpg
20220918_194406.jpg
Katherinae is a species I’d love. I personally think of them as one of the classics, I’m too poor to afford some of those truly rare ones I’d love so I settle for wrasses we used to know as being rare haha.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had this melanurus (i believe anyway, hasnt come out long enough for me to ID properly, and moves around way too much when he does) surrendered to the store over a month ago and he literally spends 98% of his time in the sand. He comes out to eat every few days, but is nice and fat so im assuming hes snacking on worms or something when I’m not looking.

Will he ever be out and about and what can I do to make him more comfy? He’s in a 20gal cube as our 40s have no sand, with a couple black bar chromis

Attachments

• 30715A8E-247B-406D-AC62-306C1345F675.jpeg
    30715A8E-247B-406D-AC62-306C1345F675.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 33

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had this melanurus (i believe anyway, hasnt come out long enough for me to ID properly, and moves around way too much when he does) surrendered to the store over a month ago and he literally spends 98% of his time in the sand. He comes out to eat every few days, but is nice and fat so im assuming hes snacking on worms or something when I’m not looking.

Will he ever be out and about and what can I do to make him more comfy? He’s in a 20gal cube as our 40s have no sand, with a couple black bar chromis
He will come out however if you have any larger (3-4’+) displays with sand, you may find him to be much more comfy in there. If he’s for sale then I can understand him being in the 20. The easiest way to make him comfy if he’s for sale is through making sure the chromis aren’t bullying him when he is out.
Other than that, time will take its course and he’ll be out eventually.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will come out however if you have any larger (3-4’+) displays with sand, you may find him to be much more comfy in there. If he’s for sale then I can understand him being in the 20. The easiest way to make him comfy if he’s for sale is through making sure the chromis aren’t bullying him when he is out.
Other than that, time will take its course and he’ll be out eventually.
He is for sale, unfortunately we don’t have any larger tanks with sand bottoms, well the one we do houses a volitan lionfish so that won’t work well. I havent seen the chromis pick on him at all but may move them and just let him have the tank to himself until he goes home with someone. Thank you!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katherinae is a species I’d love. I personally think of them as one of the classics, I’m too poor to afford some of those truly rare ones I’d love so I settle for wrasses we used to know as being rare haha.
This nice looking male was only $40! This is one of my favorite LFS (I drive over an hour to get there past 5 or 6 other stores because the selection, health, and pricing is so much better). They bring in their fish direct from overseas, skipping wholesalers entirely, which also means much less velvet.

They've been getting some really nice wrasses in lately. They still have the female torpedo wrasse (Pseudocoris yamashiroi) which I'm tempted to go get this weekend, and have been getting some really nice shipments from the Philippines lately. I'm going to see if they can get me a cebu pylei fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus briangreenei), as I loved my old one years ago and would like another.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting day the other day for me........

Was sitting on my couch cruising R2R, and heard a splash. Not thinking anything of it, as my black leopard has been swimming the top of the water and often times splashes water out the sides. I then heard some flopping on the counter. Got up to look, and my black leopard found the tiny 1/2" gap in my screen top to push wires through, and was flopping on my counter! Picked her up(could be "him" by now, but is certainly transitioning), placed her back in the tank, and she dove straight to the sand.

Next day, came out of the sand at her usual time and has been acting just fine since.

FWIW..... If i had the money right now, just got an email that among the reef has a chaoti trio for sale @ $899.99, or $350 a piece. I think that may be a bit steep, but among the reef fully conditions and quarantines their fish, so the price is justified.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 3 days and still no sign of my Black leopard wrasse. He was out swimming when I picked him up at LFS
Give her a few weeks, they won’t be out first time every time :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 3 days and still no sign of my Black leopard wrasse. He was out swimming when I picked him up at LFS
Agree with @i cant think , give her a little more time. Are you home all day to watch the tank? I just got a pencil wrasse 4 days ago and so far he only emerges from 11am to 3pm, if it wasn't for my tank camera I would never see him.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @i cant think , give her a little more time. Are you home all day to watch the tank? I just got a pencil wrasse 4 days ago and so far he only emerges from 11am to 3pm, if it wasn't for my tank camera I would never see him.
Tank Camera?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ve said it, we need photos asap.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Camera?
Yep! I have a Wyze camera pointed at my tank so that I can watch the tank anytime I want. Definitely gives you peace of mind when you're away from your tank on vacation, etc.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back