SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses need pods or will they ate pellet food
Welcome to R2R!

Not all wrasses eat pods. Most wrasses will eat pelleted food, some take longer to accept pellets than others.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses need pods or will they ate pellet food
If you mean a diet of strictly pellets, I don’t recommend this for any fish. A diet that is only pellets doesn’t have the variety in diet that your fish will need. Some wrasses from the genera Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops ect… will need pods because they may not feed on pellets straight away.

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great collection. How long have you had the mystery wrasse. Interested to see if his temperament changes much as he ages.
Thank you. We have had him for a little over a year. I’ve heard they can be aggressive, all the other wrasses are bigger than him so he doesn’t show any signs of aggression however we did try to introduce a small marble/checkerboard wrasse and he did not like a smaller wrasse at all.

cn246378

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean a diet of strictly pellets, I don’t recommend this for any fish. A diet that is only pellets doesn’t have the variety in diet that your fish will need. Some wrasses from the genera Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops ect… will need pods because they may not feed on pellets straight away.

Yea sorry I should of clarified didn't mean just pellets more like prepared food. Pellets was just the first thing that popped into my head. Yea I added pods I want to say a month or little over a month ago and not sure if it will be enough if I do get some wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sorry I should have clarified didn't mean just pellets more like prepared food. Pellets was just the first thing that popped into my head. Yea I added pods I want to say a month or little over a month ago and not sure if it will be enough if I do get some wrasses.
It depends, what wrasses are you after?

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your lfs and see in person if they eat prepared food. My new leopards have been eating mysis, my normal homemade frozen mix and occasionally pellets in qt but I made sure they ate at the store and that i had the same food at home. Now they are cruising around eating every pod they can find (added to dt today).
036169ED-8088-4321-8CAE-A578902A0580.jpeg
29F9F7F8-83C6-4490-9DF6-840E607FFF9B.jpeg

cn246378

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your lfs and see in person if they eat prepared food. My new leopards have been eating mysis, my normal homemade frozen mix and occasionally pellets in qt but I made sure they ate at the store and that i had the same food at home. Now they are cruising around eating every pod they can find (added to dt today).
036169ED-8088-4321-8CAE-A578902A0580.jpeg
29F9F7F8-83C6-4490-9DF6-840E607FFF9B.jpeg
Wow that wrasse is gorgeous

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our way home from LFS hopping tonight. I had to scoop up the female Pseudocoris yamashiroi. Can't wait to get some pics of her in the tank. She was eating like a champion at the LFS. The electric blue coloring on the face doesn't show up in these pics.

Resized_Resized_20220923_192804.jpg

Resized_Resized_20220923_192805.jpg

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting day the other day for me........

Was sitting on my couch cruising R2R, and heard a splash. Not thinking anything of it, as my black leopard has been swimming the top of the water and often times splashes water out the sides. I then heard some flopping on the counter. Got up to look, and my black leopard found the tiny 1/2" gap in my screen top to push wires through, and was flopping on my counter! Picked her up(could be "him" by now, but is certainly transitioning), placed her back in the tank, and she dove straight to the sand.

Next day, came out of the sand at her usual time and has been acting just fine since.

FWIW..... If i had the money right now, just got an email that among the reef has a chaoti trio for sale @ $899.99, or $350 a piece. I think that may be a bit steep, but among the reef fully conditions and quarantines their fish, so the price is justified.
I bought a Choati from ATR. I couldn’t be happier with them.
Interesting day the other day for me........

Was sitting on my couch cruising R2R, and heard a splash. Not thinking anything of it, as my black leopard has been swimming the top of the water and often times splashes water out the sides. I then heard some flopping on the counter. Got up to look, and my black leopard found the tiny 1/2" gap in my screen top to push wires through, and was flopping on my counter! Picked her up(could be "him" by now, but is certainly transitioning), placed her back in the tank, and she dove straight to the sand.

Next day, came out of the sand at her usual time and has been acting just fine since.

FWIW..... If i had the money right now, just got an email that among the reef has a chaoti trio for sale @ $899.99, or $350 a piece. I think that may be a bit steep, but among the reef fully conditions and quarantines their fish, so the price is justified.
I would highly recommend ATR. I purchased a Choati from @Eric Cohen a month or so ago, and it’s still doing great. I was 0 for 2 before this guy. Also, Eric has great customer service.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a wrasse! This yellow corris is hopefully my first of many

anyone have one of these guys eat a cleaner shrimp? I have one that pretty big and no issues so far… hoping it’s stays
2CBE2442-2545-4614-BD9B-78C433833D30.jpeg
8FA82396-ED4F-4BF4-9F65-489CD1EA9C1B.jpeg
that way
Great wrasse! I have one in my observation tank

20220525_151410.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a wrasse! This yellow corris is hopefully my first of many

anyone have one of these guys eat a cleaner shrimp? I have one that pretty big and no issues so far… hoping it’s stays
2CBE2442-2545-4614-BD9B-78C433833D30.jpeg
8FA82396-ED4F-4BF4-9F65-489CD1EA9C1B.jpeg
that way
If it helps, I have a larger species of wrasse from this genus and he totally ignores my cleaner. They do when the cleaner dies though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak wrasse update;
I may only have 1 or 2 however I’ve not been watching the tank long enough to have a complete answer - I will say though, since adding a wave maker for my acros, they’ve become more secretive.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak wrasse update;
I may only have 1 or 2 however I’ve not been watching the tank long enough to have a complete answer - I will say though, since adding a wave maker for my acros, they’ve become more secretive.
I bet you still have all 3. I've found that my pink streak is pretty tough. Even when I have neglected him

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you still have all 3. I've found that my pink streak is pretty tough. Even when I have neglected him
I definitely have 2 of them, the third is most likely in there. The interesting thing is the smallest is one of the two I saw, I would’ve thought he would be the missing one.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with any experience with a dragon wrasse? I’ve got the last one sitting in my cart at saltyunderground.com , after I added it then went out of stock.

have read they can get huge and flip huge rocks. Just looking to see if anyone has kept them in mixed reefs

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with any experience with a dragon wrasse? I’ve got the last one sitting in my cart at saltyunderground.com , after I added it then went out of stock.

have read they can get huge and flip huge rocks. Just looking to see if anyone has kept them in mixed reefs
I wouldnt. They can move pretty big rocks, and any corals not VERY WELL attached will be ripped off and moved around. They'll also eat all your CUC, and any ornamental inverts (clams, feather dusters, shrimp).

If I wanted a wrasse that big besides my broomtail (which has a WAY better personality), I would grab an anchorago tuskfish or a harlequin tuskfish. Better colors and personality than the dragon wrasse, especially when it turns into a 12" grey lump.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt. They can move pretty big rocks, and any corals not VERY WELL attached will be ripped off and moved around. They'll also eat all your CUC, and any ornamental inverts (clams, feather dusters, shrimp).

If I wanted a wrasse that big besides my broomtail (which has a WAY better personality), I would grab an anchorago tuskfish or a harlequin tuskfish. Better colors and personality than the dragon wrasse, especially when it turns into a 12" grey lump.
Yes I was leaning this way…. Thank you for the help- really neat looking when juvenile but that 12” carp it turns into kind of loses some of its glory. I also have a 90 gallon so reaching my arms in to fix stuff is an extra hassle.

if anyone wanting a dragon wrasse I’m gonna go remove it from cart on salty underground , should be 1 left

thanks again @Fishfreak2009

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These can move 3-5lbs rocks as they age.
I wouldn’t say they become a grey lump as they mature - I find them to be quite pretty still but that’s me saying this when I also have a wrasse that many find ugly once it matures. CUC is often on the menu - Cleaner shrimp usually get avoided due to their big role.
Personality wise, they do have a personality that is fun to watch… if you don’t mind watching a wrasse destroying your rock scape that is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%
Back