The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse?

Unfortunately our GORGEOUS pintail fairy decided to jump last night, so I'm looking at new wrasses. We have a ton of yellow in our tank already, so a yellow corris is ruled out. We had one doing great in our tank, but I haven't seen it in a month now, so I'm considering it gone also.

Currently have a Melanarus, Lubbocks Fairy, and a Blue Star Leopard. All 3 doing well and get along. Whenever we introduce new wrasses, except for the leopard, the Mel is pretty aggressive the first few days and then settles.

So with that, I'm looking at:
Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse
Another Pintail Fairy
McCoskers Flasher

Any others we should be looking at? We don't have much orange/red in the tank, so the McCoskers would definitely be a good fit.

Tank is a 125 mixed reef.
Rosy scales wrasse

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse?

Unfortunately our GORGEOUS pintail fairy decided to jump last night, so I'm looking at new wrasses. We have a ton of yellow in our tank already, so a yellow corris is ruled out. We had one doing great in our tank, but I haven't seen it in a month now, so I'm considering it gone also.

Currently have a Melanarus, Lubbocks Fairy, and a Blue Star Leopard. All 3 doing well and get along. Whenever we introduce new wrasses, except for the leopard, the Mel is pretty aggressive the first few days and then settles.

So with that, I'm looking at:
Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse
Another Pintail Fairy
McCoskers Flasher

Any others we should be looking at? We don't have much orange/red in the tank, so the McCoskers would definitely be a good fit.

Tank is a 125 mixed reef.
Any of those should do fine with one another and with your current fish. I'd probably add the ryukyuensis last, as it is larger and can be a bit more boisterous than the flasher or pintail.

Nice fish regardless though, I had one years ago that never bothered anything.

Other good fairies would include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
Cirrhilabrus laboutei
Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa

And for flashers I'm particularly fond of:
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks to @SaltyT i finally get to add the wrasse I’ve wanted for a really long time. This just made my weekend!

can anyone guess what it is? Shouldn’t be all that difficult to figure out. Lol

Attachments

• 178FC4D5-0825-4800-A1E4-CE01BE0F2202.jpeg
    178FC4D5-0825-4800-A1E4-CE01BE0F2202.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 51

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks to @SaltyT i finally get to add the wrasse I’ve wanted for a really long time. This just made my weekend!

can anyone guess what it is? Shouldn’t be all that difficult to figure out. Lol
Is it… a Halichoeres species? Or a Cirrhilabrus species?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dilemma wrasse loving friends

The lfs I part time at has my dream wrasse. A black leopard male. He’s about 3 inches. Out and about, eating, No signs of disease.

the dilemma is that I currently only have a 20 gallon tall. I know for certain I will be upgrading to a 75 within the month. But I am unsure how he would do in my 20 for that time.

The other option I have would be to set up a 24 bio cube I have sitting around as a holding tank. But he may be gone from the shop by the time that is up.

so should I do the smart thing and let him chillax in the fish store? Or should I take him home?? Need some outside opinion for this one.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm… The one flashed species I know Salty loves is P. attenuatus
We’ve got a winner! Haha

I’ve wanted this one ever since I first laid eyes on one when I first got into the hobby.

@SaltyT has had to suffer through me bringing it up for quite some time now. Lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dilemma wrasse loving friends

The lfs I part time at has my dream wrasse. A black leopard male. He’s about 3 inches. Out and about, eating, No signs of disease.

the dilemma is that I currently only have a 20 gallon tall. I know for certain I will be upgrading to a 75 within the month. But I am unsure how he would do in my 20 for that time.

The other option I have would be to set up a 24 bio cube I have sitting around as a holding tank. But he may be gone from the shop by the time that is up.

so should I do the smart thing and let him chillax in the fish store? Or should I take him home?? Need some outside opinion for this one.
Are you able to reserve him?
If so then I’d reserve him until you can get the larger tank setup however if you can’t I’d put him into the 20 as long as he’s only in there for a month or two and not much longer than that.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to reserve him?
If so then I’d reserve him until you can get the larger tank setup however if you can’t I’d put him into the 20 as long as he’s only in there for a month or two and not much longer than that.
You can only reserve for 24 hours. I will think in it more

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only reserve for 24 hours. I will think in it more
If you’re certain about the move in 1 month, go for it. However if it’s still 50/50, I don’t recommend it.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are peoples thoughts on Anampses caeruleopunctatus ( Blue Spotted Tarmarin), My LFS has one in their display tank, Awesome looking. They are trying to see if they can get one in for me.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I got a cearulepunctatus from reef pro a few weeks ago that didn’t make it but I think I’m going to try again. They are massive but beautiful.

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are peoples thoughts on Anampses caeruleopunctatus ( Blue Spotted Tarmarin), My LFS has one in their display tank, Awesome looking. They are trying to see if they can get one in for me.
I don’t really like them tbh. They are nice but not my go-to choice for a Anampses.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really like them tbh. They are nice but not my go-to choice for a Anampses.
Lol sorry @Slocke no hard feelings man ;) :smiling-face:Not me cup a tea. I really was excited for yours though :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sad monty python and the holy grail GIF

Joking but it is very pretty. I’ve seen it compared to a chistletooth but it is so much brighter and crisper.

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad monty python and the holy grail GIF

Joking but it is very pretty. I’ve seen it compared to a bristletooth but it is so much brighter and crisper.
I guess it just reminds me of Chiseltooths and that I don’t like Chiseltooths lol.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The Broomtail is finally letting herself be seen. Lol our porcupine puffer won’t leave the mirror.

Attachments

• FA34C674-AE33-4F28-83B9-4492B0951BCF.jpeg
    FA34C674-AE33-4F28-83B9-4492B0951BCF.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 32
  • A8A8FD82-424A-4899-A47B-19EF723158CB.jpeg
    A8A8FD82-424A-4899-A47B-19EF723158CB.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 39

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back