The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

KassScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 3 fellas settling in.

6BD8845B-ADC6-41BB-9449-45C88EC976FC.jpeg 7E862734-723A-44E2-BBC4-F09089F87DAA.jpeg 73E451A0-3035-420F-B602-389A6E0B29F6.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard from ny aquatics today.....

He's not getting any choats in, so I can either keep waiting or take a jeweled leopard(M. Lapillus) he has coming in or wait for more choats. I'm not really interested in the jeweled, so I'll wait.

I did email him and told him I would take the yellow tail tamarin, and hold the rest of my money for a choats when they come in and I'll pay the difference.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a couple of you guys have a tamarin, how well do they ship?

I've never had a tamarin before. New wrasse to me, but look and act like leopards from what I've been reading. So I shouldn't have an issue as I'm well versed in leopard care.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never had a tamarin before. New wrasse to me, but look and act like leopards from what I've been reading. So I shouldn't have an issue as I'm well versed in leopard care.
Anampses species ship as badly as Pseudojuloides do, which is generally worse than the Macropharyngodon species.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have a few and many over the years. Most are poor shippers and I find them more challenging than Leopards in their acclimation and first feedings, but are very similar in their requirements, sandbed, lifespan and behavior. They do, however grow larger……so inverts, hermits etc..are on the menu when larger. I had a large blue dot take out a fighting conch.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anampses species ship as badly as Pseudojuloides do, which is generally worse than the Macropharyngodon species.

I currently have a few and many over the years. Most are poor shippers and I find them more challenging than Leopards in their acclimation and first feedings, but are very similar in their requirements, sandbed, lifespan and behavior. They do, however grow larger……so inverts, hermits etc..are on the menu when larger. I had a large blue dot take out a fighting conch.
Thats not what I wanted to hear.......

Fingers crossed, we'll see what happens.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of Anampses:

Did I make it too easy?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did I make it too easy?
Oh c’mon I know the name scientifically of all but 2 but I don’t know how to spell them correctly :loudly-crying-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did I make it too easy?
Scored a 7 out of 12. Dang pronunciation

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I lost both of my bicolor cleaner wrasses today. Apparently the verrucosus trigger decided he didn't like them and went full butcher mode on both of them while I was at work today...

Found one head on the bottom, and the head and spine of the other hanging out of the rose bubbletip. The clarkii clowns like dragging big chunks of meat to their anemone to feed it.

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely get a deeper sandbed for any wrasse! I aimed for 2” with my larger gang (Went slightly over and now have 3” deep in some areas), my smaller gang has one species that needs sand so I stuck to a lower amount of sand.
As for wrasse list, there’s way too many species out there. Best thing would be for you to look through each genus, post a list here and then we sort it out;
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus
Halichoeres
Anampses
Pseudojuloides
(Although I wouldn’t do this genus in a tang with that many tangs - I’d honestly reduce the tang number to 3 at the max. You’ll find tangs just become too active and often more boring and the aggression just adds up to them being annoying species’ in general)
Macropharyngodon
Xenojulis

If you want a starting list then here you go;
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis
Cirrhilabrus shutmani
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
Paracheilinus flavidorsalis
Macrophayrngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon melagris
Anampses melanurus
Anampses melagrides
Anampses lineatus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses cuvier
Pseudojuloides severnsi
Pseudojuloides atavai
Pseudojuloides crux
Pseudojuloides elongatus
Pseudojuloides cerasinus
Xenojulis margaritaceus
Wow! Thanks for the detailed list!! I will increase my sand depth to 2 inches. Thanks for tang input as well. My must have there is a yellow-eyed kole...hopefully from Hawaii.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the proud new owner of a pair of diamond tail flashers, I've had them in my QT for 3 days. I'm excited, I've been trying to source this fish for months, and now I have a pair! But they don't seem to be eating. I've tried both frozen mysis, and masstick stuck on the glass. They've ignored the masstick, but with the mysis they take it into their mouths, chew for a bit, and then spit it out. Maybe they're getting something out of it, but it looks like they spit out everything they take in. Any advice as to how to get them to eat or what else I should try feeding?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had one shipped a couple weeks ago... it arrived DOA. Not sure if they are overly sensitive to shipping stress or it was the weather being a little too cold. Really bummed me out because it was one of my dream fish and I had waited for it for a long time. :( Hopefully yours fares better!

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine, PE calanus(I find most wrasses go crazy for calanus like candy), maybe some flake, or pellets.
Thanks. I have some calanus, I'll try that. I actually feed that through one of the autofeeders in my display tank. I'm tempted to cut QT short with these guys. They're on their 3rd day of API GC, maybe I'll skip the copper.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back