The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everything think of an Argus wrasse? I can’t find lots of info on them and wondering if their agressive and if anyone on here has one let’s see some pics!
These are one of the best wrasses you can get in the Halichoeres genus, they’re along a similar line of Melanurus aggression but should get along with other wrasses.

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a holocorous that is cool as h. But he’s pickin on my girls springer dotty. And I can’t let that go any further or the corals I’m lookin forward to won’t happen. So I’m lookin to trade or sell him. He’s a acrobat class clown so I wanna get him a good home he won’t like this 75 for long anyway . Anyone interested?

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 34

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a holocorous that is cool as h. But he’s pickin on my girls springer dotty. And I can’t let that go any further or the corals I’m lookin forward to won’t happen. So I’m lookin to trade or sell him. He’s an acrobat class clown so I wanna get him a good home he won’t like this 75 for long anyway . Anyone interested?
Unfortunately it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sell a Halichoeres hortulanus to a hobbyist as they need large tanks (6-7’+) due to their large size and aggressive behaviour.
Your best bet is to trade it back to the LFS if I’m honest.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are one of the best wrasses you can get in the Halichoeres genus, they’re along a similar line of Melanurus aggression but should get along with other wrasses.
If you had to choose between the radiant wrasse and the Argus which would you choose? I only have room for one left and they have the Argus in stock and no eta on the radiant wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to choose between the radiant wrasse and the Argus which would you choose? I only have room for one left and they have the Argus in stock and no eta on the radiant wrasse
dang, that’s a hard one… I’d probably go iridis as they’re extremely nice in colouring but if you want a more common Xenojulis margaritaceus I’d go for the Argus.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Iridis 100%

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that’s a hard one… I’d probably go iridis as they’re extremely nice in colouring but if you want a more common Xenojulis margaritaceus I’d go for the Argus.
My vote is for the Iridis 100%
Thank you! I’ll wait for the iridis, they do look absolutely stunning!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ll wait for the iridis, they do look absolutely stunning!
They truly are beautiful in the flesh, I have to say my rarest wrasse (My Gold Nugget) really doesn’t compete with my iridis.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They truly are beautiful in the flesh, I have to say my rarest wrasse (My Gold Nugget) really doesn’t compete with my iridis.
That’s right the Iridis is much better :p:squinting-face-with-tongue:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a new black leopard wrasse to quarantine today, along with a few other new fish! So far the secretive wrasse (Pseudocheilinus evanidus) doesn't seem to mind!
20230401_195721.jpg
20230401_195648.jpg
20230401_195231.jpg
20230401_195228.jpg
Hopefully my LFS can find one for me, The Black Leopard will be last addition

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a new black leopard wrasse to quarantine today, along with a few other new fish! So far the secretive wrasse (Pseudocheilinus evanidus) doesn't seem to mind!
20230401_195721.jpg
20230401_195648.jpg
20230401_195231.jpg
20230401_195228.jpg
Nice multicolor Angel!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice multicolor Angel!
Thanks! It's been at the store since August of last year. Figured I'd spring it from the store tank and put it in the reef. Also picked up a pakistani butterfly (Chaetodon collare) that's been there since May of 2022 to go in my predator tank. And I grabbed a really nice looking flame angel from a different LFS today.
20230401_195759.jpg
20230401_195750.jpg
20230401_195746.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I’ve really been wanting a leopard wrasse for a long time. What are the biggest challenges?
For getting them to eat I have the options of
Rotifers
Hatched brine
Live brine feeding off of my phyto
Tig, Aso, and Tis pods

Are these ones I would want shipped with a little sand?

Would be going in a reef post qt tangs and rabbits pretty much the most aggressive residents, but wouldn’t think they would be much of a problem with a wrasse. Can you keep different leopard wrasses together of different species?

Any other things that I should take into account?

Also recommendations or personal preference on most attractive either by coloration or personality.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve really been wanting a leopard wrasse for a long time. What are the biggest challenges?
For getting them to eat I have the options of
Rotifers
Hatched brine
Live brine feeding off of my phyto
Tig, Aso, and Tis pods

Are these ones I would want shipped with a little sand?

Would be going in a reef post qt tangs and rabbits pretty much the most aggressive residents, but wouldn’t think they would be much of a problem with a wrasse. Can you keep different leopard wrasses together of different species?

Any other things that I should take into account?

Also recommendations or personal preference on most attractive either by coloration or personality.
Pods pods pods! They need a plethora of copepods in their diet, and one you purchase you will want to add pods to the tank daily, in large quantities for the wrasse to consume. They also will a lot of the times have internal parasites, and succumb to them very often. Definitely want some sand in the bag enough for it to burry itself. It may not eat the foods you are providing in the first few days.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pods pods pods! They need a plethora of copepods in their diet, and one you purchase you will want to add pods to the tank daily, in large quantities for the wrasse to consume. They also will a lot of the times have internal parasites, and succumb to them very often. Definitely want some sand in the bag enough for it to burry itself. It may not eat the foods you are providing in the first few days.
For QT I will definitely have to add pods. Not sure about all my reefs, but my 75 upstairs that my clowns are breeding in has a pretty solid pod population. I haven’t added any in over a year, and when collecting the fry I see them all over the glass. Have a melanurus in there. In my reefs the mandarins are fat and sassy. Pretty sure they are eating frozen as well, but when I play in the sumps my amphipods are doing well (just can’t see pods lol)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT I will definitely have to add pods. Not sure about all my reefs, but my 75 upstairs that my clowns are breeding in has a pretty solid pod population. I haven’t added any in over a year, and when collecting the fry I see them all over the glass. Have a melanurus in there. In my reefs the mandarins are fat and sassy. Pretty sure they are eating frozen as well, but when I play in the sumps my amphipods are doing well (just can’t see pods lol)
Because of all the competition with the Melanurus and the mandarins you’ll need to add some more pods. The first few days are the key, and the first weeks will prove how good of a chance it stands.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Because of all the competition with the Melanurus and the mandarins you’ll need to add some more pods. The first few days are the key, and the first weeks will prove how good of a chance it stands.
Melanurus is in a different tank. Each reef has a mandarin one target one psychedelic. I will monitor pod levels. Am
Culturing my own so should have a valid supply.
How are they with cleaner shrimp and snails?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus is in a different tank. Each reef has a mandarin one target one psychedelic. I will monitor pod levels. Am
Culturing my own so should have a valid supply.
How are they with cleaner shrimp and snails?
They are fine with both. They won’t go after snails. Sometimes a Macropharyngodon may go after a shrimp but that would be a maybe and a tiny tiny shrimp. So CUC is safe.

Back