The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, my LFS that I also work at is on the hunt for a Choati so my fingers are crossed.
My next fairy wrasse may just have to be a Shutmani as although it’s red they’re like 5 shades of red and don’t look like a plain fish.
That’s one red wrasse! Doesn’t look plain, some people will say it’s plain cuz we’re used to seeing a whole bunch of markings on fairies and flashers. Which variant would it be though?
1685566082697.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one red wrasse! Doesn’t look plain, some people will say it’s plain cuz we’re used to seeing a whole bunch of markings on fairies and flashers. Which variant would it be though?
1685566082697.png
It would have to be A or B if I went for any but they’re all stunning fish ;)
unfortunately my lubbocki’s are showing their age now so I guess some more wrasses are in the near future.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is there aren't any spectacularly beautiful fairies. Most are very pretty but none stand out enough to pay the big bucks. I might pay a bit more for say a shutmani as red is a rare color in fish but not thousands. I would say halichoeres is similiar though I admit a redhead caught my eye recently (a fish not a person).
All flashers have the potential to be gorgeous and I would never pay thousands for one because the cheap ones are just as gorgeous. My LFS got in a ton of carpenters and keeps them in the coral tanks. They are happy and wow are the males pretty!

If there was a genera of wrasse I'd pay more for it would be a tamarin, a pencil, or maybe a leopard. The Lennardi, femininus, atavai, and choati do stand out from their counterparts and the chrysocepahlus and cyanoguttatus/geoffoyri feel like upgrades on their peers.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is there aren't any spectacularly beautiful fairies. Most are very pretty but none stand out enough to pay the big bucks. I might pay a bit more for say a shutmani as red is a rare color in fish but not thousands. I would say halichoeres is similiar though I admit a redhead caught my eye recently (a fish not a person).
All flashers have the potential to be gorgeous and I would never pay thousands for one because the cheap ones are just as gorgeous. My LFS got in a ton of carpenters and keeps them in the coral tanks. They are happy and wow are the males pretty!

If there was a genera of wrasse I'd pay more for it would be a tamarin, a pencil, or maybe a leopard. The Lennardi, femininus, atavai, and choati do stand out from their counterparts and the chrysocepahlus and cyanoguttatus/geoffoyri feel like upgrades on their peers.
My future M. bipartitis would like a word.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My future M. bipartitis would like a word.
As would mine but had a cyanoguttatus been available……

Sorry Marisrubri
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

IMG_2887.jpeg
If you make your head work….the bipartitus in the photo is kinda in an accusative or ”see here” manner, and the Mandarin is in a “ahhh I can explain or don’t hurt me or ok ok ok” manner, soooo once I saw both your comments…..I imagined Jojo as the bipartitus and Slocke as the dragonet :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you make your head work….the bipartitus in the photo is kinda in an accusative or ”see here” manner, and the Mandarin is in a “ahhh I can explain or don’t hurt me or ok ok ok” manner, soooo once I saw both your comments…..I imagined Jojo as the bipartitus and Slocke as the dragonet :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I would say based on their expressions the leopard is just dumbly cruising around while the mandarin is weirded out and annoyed by this hot air balloon of a fish.

Also leopard wrasse…… IMG_6704.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbrittle stars + wrasses, compatible or are the microbrittles toast?
Not what you are asking but my butterfly has started nipping at my brittle star. That and it’s taken a few chunks out of my snails and I’ve had to save two. I know they’re not reef safe but I thought that was only because of corals.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbrittle stars + wrasses, compatible or are the microbrittles toast?
I think a hungry large Coris or a TwinSpot would go for one, slim chance that would happen though

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a hungry large Coris or a TwinSpot would go for one, slim chance that would happen though
Twinspot and a ‘Large Coris’ are essentially the same thing… except Twinspots are the upgrade of most Coris species with a 3-4’ max size.
I do love Coris wrasses it’s just their size isn’t so fun and most of the time they turn out to be ugly.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twinspot and a ‘Large Coris’ are essentially the same thing… except Twinspots are the upgrade of most Coris species with a 3-4’ max size.
I do love Coris wrasses it’s just their size isn’t so fun and most of the time they turn out to be ugly.
Yea I meant with Large Coris a Coris gaimard forgot that name lol so I just put large coris.

I think the only ones that don’t turn ugly are none of them cuz they all look ugly :face-in-clouds::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back