The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is eight line flasher with fairy wrasses?

My DT is a little larger than average at 320 gal, and I have a numbers of wrasses in it, Flasher, Fairy and other wrasses. Significantly, the tank have an ultra aggressive Bluethroat Fairy, who is the undisputed king of the tank. The tank is doing fine. the numbers of wrasses and the size of the tank with the amount of rock in it make it work. The Bluethroat Fairy display all the time and chase other wrasses often. The at the speed of these wrasses swim, it is impossible for the aggressor to catch them. Their strategy is dive into the rock and take a turn. This simple maneuver will throw the aggressor off their tail. Other than my two male Lubbock, I don't ever recall any of my wrasse have torn fin or missing scales. There are many wrasses so the aggressor never keep on chasing any one single wrasse for any length of time.

I have two male Lubbock in my tank. They are well match in size and temperament. Neither gain the upper hand so they are forever at odd with each other. One would chase the other sometime, and then it would be the other way around. Sometime they would be circling each other fighting. With these episodes, there will be missing scales and occasional torn fin.

To answer your question, my Eightline is not a timid fish, but I have not see him bully anybody. He, like all tho other wrasses, just dodge out of the way of the Bluethroat, or Laboute when they run at him (or her a year ago)
My Eightline was placed into the tank as a small female about 1 year ago. He is nearing complete his transformation to terminal male. I can't wait until he complete his transformation and display himself in all his glories.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost got him. Light is getting dim so shutter speed is a little slow, or else I would get the picture I wanted for sure. I will just have to wait until next week. He is changing so fast, hope by then his dorsal and anal fins elongated even more and better color. I cannot believe how fast this wrasse change. I am glad that I can document the changes over just a few days.
EightlineFlasher2019051906.jpg

just to refresh, here she was 1 year ago
eightlineflasher2018051002-jpg.1067313

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two Female Flame Fairy wrasse last week when LA have them on sale. I waited too long to get them so these wrasse must have stay at the wholesaler too long because two emaciated small Flame Wrasse arrived. On died the next day. I was able to get one to eat. She is getting better and gaining weight. I think she will be OK. Fins were torn but healing. I keep her in my 40 gal QT system.
Here are her pictures on arrival and today. On arrival. She was in better shape than the one that did not make it.

On arrival. Top down picture clearly show enormous head in compare to emaciated body. This is after I got her to eat a few mysis.
Flame2.jpg

Flame1.jpg

Today Pictures. Not fat yet but no longer have pinched stomach. She is gaining weight. I think she will be just fine.
FlameFairy2019051903.jpg

FlameFairy2019051902.jpg

Wow! Looks much better. Unless I'm mistaken, she is a he (transitional male...I can see the red stripe at the top of the body and there is yellow on the caudal fin)!

I also think your Eight line is already a terminal male.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks much better. Unless I'm mistaken, she is a he (transitional male...I can see the red stripe at the top of the body and there is yellow on the caudal fin)!

I also think your Eight line is already a terminal male.

I have not looking into Flame Fairy Wrasse too much other than seeing picture of terminal male in their full display. I think you are right, mine is in transition. I think I am going to put him into my 65 gal tank at work. The wrasses in my DT at home is a little on the aggressive side.

I hoping that my Eightline Flasher still have some fins lengthen to do. Color-wise he is beautiful.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite. An Eightline Flasher wrasse.
Just kidding but not too much.
What size tank? What fish in it? Sand? Tight cover(completely jump proof?). Reef or FOWLR?

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost got him. Light is getting dim so shutter speed is a little slow, or else I would get the picture I wanted for sure. I will just have to wait until next week. He is changing so fast, hope by then his dorsal and anal fins elongated even more and better color. I cannot believe how fast this wrasse change. I am glad that I can document the changes over just a few days.
EightlineFlasher2019051906.jpg

just to refresh, here she was 1 year ago
eightlineflasher2018051002-jpg.1067313

Looking good! What a change!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is eight line flasher with fairy wrasses?
It tends to act more like a Cirrhilabrus species than a Paracheilinus, so it actually holds its own just fine with them.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got told a few days ago 'the beautiful blue fish is missing', and I stopped by a couple times to check and yeah. the fully transitioned c.cyanopleura in the 65 gallon was indeed missing. Not in the overflow, not anywhere, not seen for at least 3 days "since a lot of splashing". Came back today and the c. lubbocki was in full display, looking very agitated, showing colours I've never really seen on it before ( a pink / yellowish normal, but stark reds and dark blues during the fin flashing). Checked where the firefish usually hides and wow, a big red eye looking at me. Okay, so that's where the blue-sided died, oh well, and then the eye starts moving.

So the cyanopleura has been hiding for at least three days, and after coaxing him out of the spot, immediately the lubbocki goes crazy and starts to chase him for a solid three minutes. Every time the cyanopleura shows itself the lubbocki turns and goes Mr. Hyde again. Fast-forward three hours and the lubbocki is in an acclimation box in the tank, the cyanopleura still hiding, but I'm going to check in every day and give it a few days. I guess the lubbocki has finally gone fully male, and the cyanopleura has lost the aggression fight. Yes the tank is a tad small for the cyan, but I figured for my parents those two fish and two clowns should be fine..

From what I've read here aggression levels like that usually never change after they've set in, they've been together for almost two years at this point. Even if the lubbocki is playing nice in fish jail, think it's worth the risk to re-release after a few days? I'm thinking though I don't want to, so the rest of the tank isn't WW3 I should re-home him to someone local with a bigger tank. Not going to just take it back to the LFS, he's fully quarantined and clean, don't want to just get him full of fish funk again.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read here aggression levels like that usually never change after they've set in
Not true. Things can definitely change as the younger ones mature, just as you're experiencing.
Even if the lubbocki is playing nice in fish jail, think it's worth the risk to re-release after a few days?
I wouldn't; it's unlikely the outcome would be any different after a couple days.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Things can definitely change as the younger ones mature, just as you're experiencing.
I meant that as things won't de-escalate now that it's escalated, like highlander there can be only one in the tank now, etc.

I'm going to put him in my "final" clean QT used for observation till I can figure out a proper home for him. Not his fault he's matured and trying to be top dog now. Thanks again Hunter.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you all QT your wrasse's? I have just been monitoring eating and pooping and looking for flashing..I do not treat preventively with copper especially wrasse's and my new melanarus is doing very well in QT.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you all QT your wrasse's? I have just been monitoring eating and pooping and looking for flashing..I do not treat preventively with copper especially wrasse's and my new melanarus is doing very well in QT.
At least 6 weeks, myself.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No different than other fish imo, but more prone to intestinal parasites which requires additional time. I QT as follows, and haven’t lost a wrasse since a carpenters flasher early last year (pre hanna copper checker). All takes place in 20L tanks.

Tank 1:
Day 1: Fish added to pre-cycled qt, given about a week to acclimate / get eating well / etc. Heavy observation for any signs of ich or velvet during this time frame
Day 8: If no signs of ich/velvet, one complete course (two distinct doses apart) of API general cure to de-worm is given
Day 14: By now signs of ich are usually present, even in wrasse (behavioral). Copper dosing starts at about .2 ppm / day (chelated).
Day 21: Copper is now therapeutic at around 1.7-1.8ppm
Day 36: Fish are transferred out of tank one, into a sterile tank 2

Tank 2: Fish are given a couple days to shake the copper effects, continue monitoring behaviour for signs of copper qt having failed. During this time I really examine their poop as much as I can, any white or stringy and they get a bout of general cure with seachem focus in their food to clear it. Add to this other things like bacterial infections that can rear themselves from ich infestations, etc.

Best case my fish are about 6 weeks, some have taken months requiring repeat steps.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back