Last edited:

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of my favorite wrasses:
Are these all from your tank? I've followed a few of your threads/posts. Can you edit your post with names? That would help in researching as well. For my first wrasse, I wanted to get a Yellow Coris Wrasse and then a flasher or fairy of some sort. Not really sure which one though. I'll take suggestions! I'd like to keep the price of each under $100. I know you have a diamond wrasse that's insanely expensive! lol

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all the hurdles which that one has already crossed. There's not much difficulty from that point forward. So long as your tank is large enough and the tankmates are suitable, it's easy from there.

Have a 180, mostly just fish and rock (3 corals). Have lots of pods, both copepod and arthipod so food shouldn't be a problem. Livestock currently are 2 yellow tangs, 1 vlaminigi tang, 1 lieutenant tang, 1 flame tang, 1 coral beauty, 3 lyre tail anthias (still small), 1 melanarus wrasse, 1 golden head goby, 2 clowns, 1 chromi, 1 cardinal, 1 magnificent foxface, and a bonded pair yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp. Oh yea and Frank the Tank, aka Horseshoe crab.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a Pink Streaked Wrasse shipped to me for my 40B display. It seemed ok when I got it but would not eat. I tried all sorts of things. It seemed half-heartedly interested in the baby brine but not enough to qualify as "eating".

My tank is packed with micro-fauna, so there was also plenty of live food. I released it after a day and a night in the acclimation box thinking may find something to nibble on in my rocks. It was too weak at that point and expired.

The seller has been great through this and other fish purchases. He told me that he found they don't ship well and he had a large amount of losses in that batch. I am debating trying for another one. I don't want to keep killing fish though. I don't have a lot of experience with fish husbandry.

Is this generally true of that species, that they are not going to ship well?

I really want to add a wrasse (currently a starry blenny, a neon gobie, a cleaner gobie, and a good sized cleaner shrimp) as my next fish. If not a pink streaked wrasse, what would be a good 40B wrasse that is reasonably hardy to have shipped? I have good rockwork with lots of caves and such, and a 1/8" mesh lid but I can't get away from it being 36x18.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon with 7 gallon sump. I have a sailfin fairy wrasse. I'd like to pair him with a pest eating wrasse. I'd rather not get a 6 line. Is there another pest eating wrasse i can add or will that cause issues with the fairy?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tempted by this but idk if it will get along with my flame wrasse pintail fairy and melanarus. The price isnt bad considered its the "holy grail" of wrasses.

Screenshot_20201023-151302_Samsung Internet.jpg
Picked one up. It’s been a dud lol. He never flashes when I’m around.

Should be ok but I would be concerned with melanurus Didn’t have good experience with two. Different melanurus

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box question.

I have had my new p. isosceles in my acclimation box for two days. So far everything has been going well ; eating everything and no real signs of aggression when he is out and about. However, he is spending a lot of time in the PVC pipe.

Should I remove the PVC pipe for the final 24 hours so that I can observe behaviour better?

Thanks in advance.

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box question.

I have had my new p. isosceles in my acclimation box for two days. So far everything has been going well ; eating everything and no real signs of aggression when he is out and about. However, he is spending a lot of time in the PVC pipe.

Should I remove the PVC pipe for the final 24 hours so that I can observe behaviour better?

Thanks in advance.
I meant Cirrhilabrus isosceles.
I must have flashers on my mind.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If he's spending a large amount of time in the PVC it's defeating the purpose of the acclimation box. Need to see how the other fish are reacting to him. What other wrasses do you have?

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon with 7 gallon sump. I have a sailfin fairy wrasse. I'd like to pair him with a pest eating wrasse. I'd rather not get a 6 line. Is there another pest eating wrasse i can add or will that cause issues with the fairy?
Anyone have a suggestion to the best wrasse to pair?

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there compatibility charts for wrasses that are not Cirrhilabrus related? I'm interested in a few Flasher and Coris wrasses, but I don't see any charts online other than the ones for Cirrhilabrus wrasses.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all flashers can be kept with other flashers. The one exception (sometimes) is the Eight Line Flasher ....not to be confused with the Pseudocheilinus species that carries the moniker Eight Line. This flasher gets larger than other flashers and can be a little aggressive. In a larger tank they are fine. If you are pushing the envelope with tank size, I would avoid them with other flashers.

I have one in a 6' tank with 3 other flashers without issues.

When you say Coris wrasses can you be more specific? Some wrasses are called Coris wrasses that actually aren't (Halichoeres chrysus for example). Most true coris wrasses get pretty large and are not reef safe....invert eating machines.
Post your planed stocking list or fish you are considering and I'm sure one of our wrasse experts will chime in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back