Thermal Reckoning, a Fire in the making...

WVfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working on a customer tank when his wife casually informed me he dropped a power strip into the tank - not plugged in, thank God - and that said strip might still be under the tank in the stand. Not knowing if the strip I found was the one in question (it was dry and looked and smelled okay) , I gingerly plugged it in. I had no idea a wall of sparks / flames more than a foot high would shoot from the outlets of the powerstrip. I would not believed it possible had I not seen it. The water had evaporated, leaving invisible salt mulm in the strip. I could have used the thing as a weapon. If I'd had it near my face it would have blinded me. I was lucky not to be injured. The customer was a moron, and I didn't feel too bright either. I could have set his house on fire.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea a wall of sparks / flames more than a foot high would shoot from the outlets of the powerstrip. I would not believed it possible had I not seen it. The water had evaporated, leaving invisible salt mulm in the strip. I could have used the thing as a weapon. If I'd had it near my face it would have blinded me. I was lucky not to be injured. The customer was a moron, and I didn't feel too bright either. I could have set his house on fire.
Sounds like something you should have recorded and posted on YouTube. You might have made it on to Ridiculousness

WVfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen anything like it in 50 years of aquarium keeping. Hope to never see it again. One thing for sure, I treat suspect power strips with a lot more respect than I did before.

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys, I have a question concerning Strip plugs. Is it a good idea to mount them directly under the tank upside down? it'll automatically have a drip loop this way. and I figured the safest place was right under the big'ol glass bottom

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys, I have a question concerning Strip plugs. Is it a good idea to mount them directly under the tank upside down? it'll automatically have a drip loop this way. and I figured the safest place was right under the big'ol glass bottom
Not a bad idea as long as they are in a location that won't be impacted by pump spray if something comes loose. Oh, and if you don't drill through and hit your tank!

I have mine mounted sideways on the top edge inside stand. Would have been better to put them outside the tank, but since I'm GFCI protected I don't worry to much.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I keep my power strips as far away from the tank as possible.. saltwater and electricity don’t mix well. One time while servicing my sump I had a small amount of water splash onto a power strip and the outcome wasn’t pretty.. learned my lesson and now I keep them well away from the tank or in a cabinet for protection from splashes and leaks.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a GFCI outlet protect against these types of disasters?

Not at all. Found one of my GFCI's like this outside my house a few weeks ago. I ended up replacing all the plugs with new ones, and the housings as well.

jhRahxyl.jpg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it old? Most GFCI manufacturers recommend testing frequently and replacement after a certain # of years. Of course, no one actually does any of that.

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my power strips as far away from the tank as possible.. saltwater and electricity don’t mix well. One time while servicing my sump I had a small amount of water splash onto a power strip and the outcome wasn’t pretty.. learned my lesson and now I keep them well away from the tank or in a cabinet for protection from splashes and leaks.

My bad, forgot to say my sump is underground not under tank

Dan Korczak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome information that was well worth the read. I say this with my head hung low, it's easy to ignore this stuff even if you do know it.

Back