Thin copperband eats like a pig?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for a couple of months and it is hand fed 3 or 4 times a day, this is about 20 minutes after an RS mysis feed.
Don't ask for parameters, long story, temp is 25.7 c, that's all I got for you.
The last pic is back to pecking and grazing.
It takes any frozen I have tried, at least 6 different things so far, some flake, nori, nori flake, masstick and certain live macro algae.
People that know my tanks know I don't do skinny fish, I can't give you poop news as it lives in the cube end of my tank so I can't see it unless I go and look.
My guess is possibly an internal parasite but I have no idea what to do?
Excuse the crap pics! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0005 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0006 (1024x683).jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try:
  1. prazipro (my go to)
  2. api general cure + focus
  3. metroplex + focus
  4. New Life Spectrum Hex Shield pellets

All of these are either confirmed reef safe or are generally agreed to be safe (the ladder of the two being the meds with focus as focus binds the med to the food).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If worms are suspected you can add prazipro to food and let it soak in...may be difficult with CB as they typically only eat frozen?

Not 100% it can be fed to reef tank as I never have but maybe?

It is advised not to soak food in prazipro (I think Humblefish was the author of the thread on that).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ...I haven’t read that...I have done it a few times with good result tho tbh, although not on a butterfly

This is what I saw

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I saw
My bad it was Praziquantel I added...been a while since I did it

I have edited original post

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had exact same thing with a yellow tang although I'd think a copperband being more picky could make it a little more difficult.

Frozen food soaked in Selcon, API General Cure and Seachem Focus for 8 days seems to have fixed it.

Here is Humblefish's recipe - which is what I based my treatment plan on.

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (API General Cure or Fenbendazole** + Metroplex)
1 or 2 scoops Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe + binds the medication to the food)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in UK too....shouldn’t struggle to get the stuff listed above

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found one to use in tank that I can order, thanks! :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that medicated food guide recently, but I am the first to admit that the information won’t apply to a CB. The takeaway from it is that soaking food in medication doesn’t work except by blind luck. I would consider dosing the tank with prazi and metro, but not that n a reef setting.
Here is another tact: I know you are feeding the fish well, but sometimes, internal parasites can be managed by out-feeding them: feed more food, more often. That said, you may be aware that once a fish becomes emaciated to a certain level, the liver is compromised, and although it will live on for awhile, it will eventually succumb.
Jay

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cant you feed soaked food to a CB? I just did it a few months ago. Freeze dried mysis is key. I fill syringe with medicated water and the freeze dried mysis. Use the syringe to suck the air out of the mysis and the water is soaked right up. I also do this to feed selcon.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, you may be aware that once a fish becomes emaciated to a certain level, the liver is compromised, and although it will live on for awhile, it will eventually succumb.

This is what concerns me, I have rescued a few fish over the years, this fish wants to be healthy, I have only ever dealt with three fish issues, fairy wrasse with flukes, freshwater *open to debate, tap water at temperature* dipped for 5 minutes fish was happy for about 10 days and then jumped through a small gap I missed!
Second was an addition of anti bacterial stuff that made the water very green trying to help my little damaged convict tang (RIP Poto).
I really don't want to stress it by catching it so I will try one of the "reef safe" general cures. :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do general cure/focus mixed in food. A skinny fish with a voracious appetie is very likely internal parasites of some form. Other grazing fish in the tank could also pick this up. I recommend general cure because it contains both prazi and metro, which will cover the broadest of parasites and worms. If it is parasites, eventually they will win, and may infect others along the way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back