Thinking about breeding.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Just a 23 y/o dude here. I grew up with reef tanks (had a 200gal years ago, but family just has a 100gal right now). In the current tank, we can't have any corals (lots of restrictions in Hawaii with import/export and harvesting).

I'm living in Hawaii right now with my family (due to COVID19) but will eventually move back to the mainland US at some point (probably Utah).

I'm thinking of starting to breed clownfish as a hobby with the potential of breeding other fish as well and doing it professionally on a larger scale (if I enjoy it). I'd want to sell WYSIWYG online directly to tank-owners rather than to fish stores or wholesalers.

I think the challenge of breeding and raising fry would be cool, but think it would be amazing if I chose to do it professionally and worked on figuring out how to breed fish that haven't been bred in captivity yet.

I'd really appreciate it if some breeders would share their thoughts!

What do you enjoy about breeding? What don't you enjoy?
What would you have me know about the breeder life (either hobbyist or professional)?

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I am not a breeder but there are some on the forum. You could find a lot of useful information in the breeding forum and you might get more input on that topic there. Best of luck and happy reefing!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you go to YouTube and do a search for "macna breeding" you should find several videos that align with your question. Additionally, I also recommend Matt Wittenrich's book on breeding and research Rising Tide Conservation.

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you go to YouTube and do a search for "macna breeding" you should find several videos that align with your question. Additionally, I also recommend Matt Wittenrich's book on breeding and research Rising Tide Conservation.

Really great resources! Thanks! I've heard of Matt Wittenrich's book, but haven't gotten around to ordering it. I've also been told about a book called Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson's. Might have to pick that up too.

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I am not a breeder but there are some on the forum. You could find a lot of useful information in the breeding forum and you might get more input on that topic there. Best of luck and happy reefing!

I'm on mobile and can't seem to find any sub-forums. It seems like one massive unorganized forum. How do I find the breeding forum?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @KameZ. Turn your phone sideways (horizontal view) and you'll see many more options. One of them is "Forums". If you click that, you should see a list of all the subforums.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really great resources! Thanks! I've heard of Matt Wittenrich's book, but haven't gotten around to ordering it. I've also been told about a book called Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson's. Might have to pick that up too.

The Wittenrich book is a more general book on breeding and covered nearly a hundred of the several hundred fish that he has breed. Currently Matt is at Poma Labs focusing on breeding rare and yet-to-be-bred Angelfish. The Wilkerson book is a classic that I have read many times. Another reference for breeding that I refer to is "Conditioning, spawning, and rearing of fish with emphasis on marine clownfish" by Frank Hoff (Florida Aqua Farms).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on "Foums", a scroll down menu should appear looks like this:

Screenshot_20200405-202349.png

Or click the link:

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up doing it on a professional level, you will have a hard time moving a lot of clownfish as WYSIWYG. I would recommend cherry picking your best fry to sell as WYSIWYG and sell the rest wholesale to LFS's.

received_244003776723671.gif

I just feel like fish stores tend to treat fish poorly and I think it would be a shame for the fish to go to them. Or maybe LFS treat them well and its the large pet store chains and wholesalers that I should avoid. Thoughts?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back