thinking about giving up...

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am currently in the middle of my second battle with dinos and things have really taken a turn for the worst. I have stable levels of nitrates and phosphates so i know nutrients aren’t an issue. I tried a UV sterilizer with no success. I had read articles on reef builders and seen videos about raising tank temperature to help beat them and apparently people have seen success with this method. So i set my heater to 83 degrees the day before i went on a short 4 day trip to see it i saw any difference when i returned. When i returned, not only was the dino worse but the increase in temperature must have killed my fish. I had a clown, midas blenny and flameback angel and they are all gone. I dont know what to do anymore, my tank is filled with dino and I have lost all my fish.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changes prior to prolong separation from monitoring those changes often not a good thing. Not sure 83 degrees would kill the fish, however. Assuming it was gradual and still a four degree quick rise should cause concerns.

Can't help with dino since I've never had them but it appears something else may have cause the loss.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, hire a consultant - at least for a time. From 2017 to 2019 my salt water tank was nothing but a lush farm of green hair algae. In 2019 I hired a consultant who came out to my home every other week or so for about 4 months.
Now my tank is doing too good and I am about to up grade to a Waterbox 7225! If you can't afford a professional consultant, try to find a local successful reef aquarist who can assist you.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled Dino’s to , almost made me quit. You have to think differently to beat it (depending on species ) first need to identify. I had osteo Dino’s - all over rocks , white sand stilll and toxic . Introducing a ton of other micro fauna and keeping elevated nitrate and phosphate allowed me to beat it . Introduce competitors, other bacteria like probidio bio digest , add macro algae a direct competitor for nutrients , add more fish ect. Feed more

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled Dino’s to , almost made me quit. You have to think differently to beat it (depending on species ) first need to identify. I had osteo Dino’s - all over rocks , white sand stilll and toxic . Introducing a ton of other micro fauna and keeping elevated nitrate and phosphate allowed me to beat it . Introduce competitors, other bacteria like probidio bio digest , add macro algae a direct competitor for nutrients , add more fish ect. Feed more
How did you identify them?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back