thinking about giving up...

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am currently in the middle of my second battle with dinos and things have really taken a turn for the worst. I have stable levels of nitrates and phosphates so i know nutrients aren’t an issue. I tried a UV sterilizer with no success. I had read articles on reef builders and seen videos about raising tank temperature to help beat them and apparently people have seen success with this method. So i set my heater to 83 degrees the day before i went on a short 4 day trip to see it i saw any difference when i returned. When i returned, not only was the dino worse but the increase in temperature must have killed my fish. I had a clown, midas blenny and flameback angel and they are all gone. I dont know what to do anymore, my tank is filled with dino and I have lost all my fish.
Don't give up. I battled the same thing to where my white sand bed was basically non-existent by how much dino build up and algae everywhere...I stopped using conditioned tap water and got myself a 5stage RODI.. I got a 18W UV with a sicce pump and made sure the flow was slow enough for the UV to catch anything.. I then dosed No Pox by red sea as I was also battling high Nitrates... I also dosed Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner for Marine 16OZ .. and now I have a white sand bed with my lights full 100%. First you just really gotta understand what dinos you got and have all water levels tested and go from there. Best of luck

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP CLEAN it and hard reboot. Rinse the sand out, dip or spot treat your rock with H202. No need to keep pushing a tank that's clearly out of whack. I've had to do it. No shame.
Won’t this lead to just having Dino’s again? I wouldn’t go down this road unless you really know what you are doing

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a year battling mine and it was so frustrating. What finally helped was getting a seed rock from a healthy system. I was doing all the stuff with uv and nutrients but then I got that seed rock and bam a month later Dino’s gone and sps growing. I did pick up some aptasia with it that I kill off every month or so buy it pretty manageable

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
RIP Clean is not a bad suggestion. That’s how I solved my very stubborn second Dino outbreak. Here is how I did it.
  • I siphoned out all the sand over the course of a week.
  • While doing so, I would siphon the surface of all my rock work.
  • Dose all new water with adequate nitrates, phosphates and silica. (I used NeoNitro, NeoPhos, SpongExcel)

Solved the issue in a week. Dino free for close to a month now.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t this lead to just having Dino’s again? I wouldn’t go down this road unless you really know what you are doing
I'm a RIP CLEAN fan, I was converted on this forum by the examples, threads and persistence of brandon429. It's way easier on smaller tanks, but the whole idea is that by rinsing the sand in freshwater you are removing a lot of the problems and allowing the system to get a foothold. Treating the rocks superficially will still allow for cycling bacteria to survive. It's basically like bleaching your bathroom. You are taking this down to a manageable time before you lost the battle, because most don't just "get dinos". There's something wrong with the system that has allowed them to procreate rapidly and choke out the rest. My only suggestion beyond a rip clean is to dose silicates out of the gate once it's clean. Tanks don't seem to go back into a cycle, but it gets nerve wracking with a heavily stocked system. It sounds like OP is basically at the end of the road with the current attempt and defeated. This hobby can be brutal. There's no shame in starting on new ground. My experience with aquariums is it's easier to reboot a bad tank than jerk the wheel back onto the road. Personal opinion.

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a RIP CLEAN fan, I was converted on this forum by the examples, threads and persistence of brandon429. It's way easier on smaller tanks, but the whole idea is that by rinsing the sand in freshwater you are removing a lot of the problems and allowing the system to get a foothold. Treating the rocks superficially will still allow for cycling bacteria to survive. It's basically like bleaching your bathroom. You are taking this down to a manageable time before you lost the battle, because most don't just "get dinos". There's something wrong with the system that has allowed them to procreate rapidly and choke out the rest. My only suggestion beyond a rip clean is to dose silicates out of the gate once it's clean. Tanks don't seem to go back into a cycle, but it gets nerve wracking with a heavily stocked system. It sounds like OP is basically at the end of the road with the current attempt and defeated. This hobby can be brutal. There's no shame in starting on new ground. My experience with aquariums is it's easier to reboot a bad tank than jerk the wheel back onto the road. Personal opinion.
thank you for this input, i only have a 32 gallon biocube so this is definitely manageable. Would it be easier to just remove the old sand and replace it with completely new stuff?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's dinos and not diatoms? They look similar. Dinos thrive when nutrients are too low and diatoms thrive when nutrients get too high. If you're sure it's dinos then you need to put a sample under a microscope and take a picture and post it. As mentioned different dinos types need different treatments. I wouldn't give up until you get a proper diagnoses of what is plaguing you. Also, I would never make changes to a tank (like raising the temp) and then go away for a prolonged period. Any changes to a tank need to be monitored in case emergency intervention is needed.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an army of small life? The more the better I believe they are essential and remove what you can not.

Attachments

• 3DA8D2D5-AB5F-4B17-9BAF-A7C4244309DF.jpeg
    3DA8D2D5-AB5F-4B17-9BAF-A7C4244309DF.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's dinos and not diatoms? They look similar. Dinos thrive when nutrients are too low and diatoms thrive when nutrients get too high. If you're sure it's dinos then you need to put a sample under a microscope and take a picture and post it. As mentioned different dinos types need different treatments. I wouldn't give up until you get a proper diagnoses of what is plaguing you. Also, I would never make changes to a tank (like raising the temp) and then go away for a prolonged period. Any changes to a tank need to be monitored in case emergency intervention is needed.
I am pretty sure it is dinos, they are stringy and are beginning to form little air bubbles.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit. Take a break. Take a step back and away. Seems mean but a clear mind and contious go a long way.
Dinis dinos dinos.
Lot of talk about dinos these days. Most of it is talk imo...
-d

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it is dinos, they are stringy and are beginning to form little air bubbles.
From my understanding diatoms can also be stringy and produce bubbles. I think it's best to get a microscope to be sure. It doesn't have to be expensive (I think 400x magnification is fine) but I'm sure there are recommendations on here. I think dosing 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide works for most. I believe it's 1ml/10g but I'm sure there are articles on here for that. I believe the peroxide is done at night and then you re-add beneficial bacteria during the day (I've seen directions posted here) but the most important thing is to get it identified first. If there are no inhabitants left in the tank then maybe a complete reset would be easier. Supposedly the rip clean method that has been mentioned works wonders. It would be a shame to give up. It could be as simple as proper identification to get you back on track or a complete reset.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you gave your sandbed a thorough cleaning, all the way down to the glass? If it’s more than six months, then you owe it to yourself to do that before you quit. Of course, any cleaning that you do must be done with tank water. I use the Python gravel washing system with a extended gravel washing tube. This one:

If the sandbed has never been disturbed before, that’s a sure way to kill any fish or invert remaining in the tank.

If this must be done, it has to be very gradual, one littke section at a time, over many weeks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back