Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Tested parametersthis week.
- Turned on skimmer. Some levels are still a bit higher then I would like to see but I am still letting the tank settle in. It's been a month now since the transfer and I have lost a couple things sadly. A teseter sps I think it was a green slimer, a Jedi mind trick Monti and a couple favia like LPS.
- Updated lighting. Increased the blues and turned off the white red and green channels completely. The 3 were only at 1% anyway. Max in the blues now is 15% up from 10%.
- Ordered a box of regular IO to use for the first few changes. Mag and calcium are high but alk is low. Po is .138 nitrates are up to 20. Thinking the plain salt will help with the mag and ca. Haven't done a change yet so that prob contrib to hig po and ni. Salt should arrive today. Mixing new batch tonight water change tomorrow.
-Modified the sump baffles so the refugium section will function a bit better.
-Determined that I am going to need more flow as I have som major dead spots in the front of the rockwork. Moved the left ph to the back vs side to hopefully help until the memorial day or 4th of July sales hit.
- Joined a new club that started up. Excited to go to my first meeting June 5. Meeting with a frag workshop at the new lfs (the good one). 10 bucks and you learn (already know) how to frag basic softies and you go home with "free" frags. The memberships provide the ability to borrow a par meter, discounted tables at a swap in October, discounts at lfs, etc. This is the same store I am gonna get my trigger from so it made sense. Plus we have never had a club that was open to everyone since I joined the hobby so I wanted to support that.
My last grandparent ended up in the hospital on Saturday and has been there all week. I have been the primary source of info to my family since I am only 10 min from hospital and can see her after work every day. My how the Healthcare system has changed. The people have been wonderful, the system sucks.
Sunday is my man's Hot Wheels show and I always help him with that. So I am very much looking forward to a break.

Sorry for the info dump. Happy Friday and hope you all have a great weekend.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your grandparent. The system really does suck.

The use of a par meter would be enough for me to join a local club also!
I am not a "club" person. So this is an experiment to see how well my social skills have improved. Plus I feel like I have been in the hobby long enough that I can positively contribute as well as continue to learn. My boyfriend says I need to make new friends. I don't have friends. So gonna give this a try. Oh and yeah the par meter and lfs discounts don't hurt either.
Alone GIF

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly a Club person either and my social skills are moving at inverse to my age.

Pretty soon I'll be sitting on a lawn chair yelling at the squirrels to get off my lawn.

Most of my IRL friends have tanks. Fresh or salt, but none of them like talking about it all the time. I Do. That's why my internet friends became IRL Friends.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have a walker with a pouch on the front to hold my sling shot and marbles. My dad's teaching me. He hates the geese on his lawn.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will have a walker with a pouch on the front to hold my sling shot and marbles. My dad's teaching me. He hates the geese on his lawn.
OMG, washington park in our area gets covered in geese. That also means the side walks are covered in geese poops. It's so nasty.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just realized I need a cuc. God bless America. Off to get some neat stuff. Water change tomorrow. I guess the universe is trying to make this week worth it.....Amazon delivered 2 boxes of IO when I only ordered 1. I checked 3 times to be sure. The box was really beat up but bags were fine.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendations for something unique for a cuc? I have always just gotten your traditional snails and hermits. I do have an urchin though. I have always used reefcleaners and have been happy with them anyone else to look at for cool stuff?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cucumber.. Which i think will be harassed by my wrasse and cbb. Always awesome snails like unique corals albalone (still a snail)

Snails and crabs have a lot of unique species for cuc. Starfish can be safe.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendations for something unique for a cuc? I have always just gotten your traditional snails and hermits. I do have an urchin though. I have always used reefcleaners and have been happy with them anyone else to look at for cool stuff?
Abalone if you can find one that is tropical. Fantastic algae grazers and fun to watch.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carpets have eaten every starfish I've put in the nem tank. Wonder how one of these would survive...
I had mine for about 5 years. It grew several new holes in its shell. It would come up to the waterline a lot. I am not sure how long they live in the wild or how old it was when I purchased it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never in stock though :frowning-face:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back