OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll link the thread. It might be a nice read up for the ladies. If I don't go blue ribbon, I am getting a blue throat
Edit: I forgot thread....
Yeah they can order me a blue throat. May not be immediate but they are generally available. They had a pink tail and some other nice wrasse but my self control and wallet held out.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm for sure going with blue ribbon eel after wrasse is rehomed. Yellow corris as well. Everything shows up now with flukes and high chances of worms. :( Need to make a maze pipe and get that buried.

You know the drill!

I do look forward to seeing that tank stuffed. Even though I can't get myself to do the same. I'm a hypocrite.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm for sure going with blue ribbon eel after wrasse is rehomed. Yellow corris as well. Everything shows up now with flukes and high chances of worms. :( Need to make a maze pipe and get that buried.

You know the drill!

I do look forward to seeing that tank stuffed. Even though I can't get myself to do the same. I'm a hypocrite.
The stuffing will commense once I get things through the ugly phase and see some fresh coraline. Loosing a couple sps testers so gonna up the lights a bit after work. Things are happy but not as happy as I would like to see yet.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The stuffing will commense once I get things through the ugly phase and see some fresh coraline. Loosing a couple sps testers so gonna up the lights a bit after work. Things are happy but not as happy as I would like to see yet.
I started leak testing the 125. So far no drips! Two weeks leak testing and then plumbing and then install. I'm a few weeks behind you but getting close to the uglies myself!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started leak testing the 125. So far no drips! Two weeks leak testing and then plumbing and then install. I'm a few weeks behind you but getting close to the uglies myself!
That's the worst feeling when you have worked so hard and done everything right and then wake up to water where it shouldn't be. I held it together pretty well. dang rubber seals on the external overflow. Stupid me for not putting them on right. Last time that will ever happen though.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made plumbing mistakes too. Still feel stupid about it. ... You got no idea. My dad probably rolled over in his grave.
There's a lot of firsts in this hobby. Especially taking on building a full system, not buying R/R off the shelves.

IMHO if you're not screwing something up every once in a while, you aren't taking enough risks.

I'm generally mechanical and handy and I glued T two T fittings to valve bodies for my return manifold, without the coupling making them junk Back to Back. Literally, I screwed one up, figured out the problem and did the exact same thing again...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a lot of firsts in this hobby. Especially taking on building a full system, not buying R/R off the shelves.

IMHO if you're not screwing something up every once in a while, you aren't taking enough risks.

I'm generally mechanical and handy and I glued T two T fittings to valve bodies for my return manifold, without the coupling making them junk Back to Back. Literally, I screwed one up, figured out the problem and did the exact same thing again...
My dad was rather experienced.. He could look at cars, electrical, plumbing, and just knew what the heck was going on. He was rather a perfectionist. Something as small as a bulk head would have made him face palm at me.
Of course, he didn't get like that over night either. I miss him though. When ever I get a problem I think "what would dad do?" But, that involves sitting down cracking open a cold one. Yuk..
Again you're right. Trial and error. We mess up and learn from our mistakes. Even if it takes a few rounds.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad was rather experienced.. He could look at cars, electrical, plumbing, and just knew what the heck was going on. He was rather a perfectionist. Something as small as a bulk head would have made him face palm at me.
Of course, he didn't get like that over night either. I miss him though. When ever I get a problem I think "what would dad do?" But, that involves sitting down cracking open a cold one. Yuk..
Again you're right. Trial and error. We mess up and learn from our mistakes. Even if it takes a few rounds.
I think that ability to just look and know what's going on, comes from a lot of times of looking and having no idea what's going on, then just figuring it out.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that ability to just look and know what's going on, comes from a lot of times of looking and having no idea what's going on, then just figuring it out.
Nah, he was a nerd. He had a lot of book on these things. The closet was full of schematics.

Edit: cars, appliances, house blue prints... I can't recall the rest.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 100%. And reverse engineering.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, he was a nerd. He had a lot of book on these things. The closet was full of schematics.

Edit: cars, appliances, house blue prints... I can't recall the rest.
I can't learn from a book.i have to have it in my hands to figure it out. I am also terrible an visualization. I have to draw things out.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the school of "if at first you don't succeed try try try try try oh crap try well that would probably hold for a while try try buy again try try again."

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm of the school of "if at first you don't succeed try try try try try oh crap try well that would probably hold for a while try try buy again try try again."
Hey, when my son broke his arm ( he got his cast off yesterday for the record) and we were sitting at Urgent Care, he said "But dad, I didn't think it would break. It didn't break the first time!" Being the dad of the year and all, I told him "Oh good, so you tried harder next time?"

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually said that when trying to loosen a bolt. Blow torches work wonders sometimes.
It can for sure if done right. If you shield the bolt and heat up the nut, they will normally pop.if you torch a bolt, it's just getting tighter as it expands into the mating threads.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back