OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He and his mate are in a full mixed reef with scrymps, snails, crabs.. haven't seen any indications of predation.

He's a total goofball, and a Spitter!
Yeah that is one of the requirements of new fish reef safe. I just like so many fish that aren't reef safe.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He and his mate are in a full mixed reef with scrymps, snails, crabs.. haven't seen any indications of predation.

He's a total goofball, and a Spitter!
what-wait.gif

Hold the phone, what? I always though triggers we fowlr, but I just looked and it reef caution. What are we being cautious of?

I may need to rethink my whole tank now.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what-wait.gif

Hold the phone, what? I always though triggers we fowlr, but I just looked and it reef caution. What are we being cautious of?

Those blue throats are worth it even if they are "with caution" in some cases. For what its worth I have read up and that Genus Xanthichthys seems to be pretty reef safe as a whole. It includes the Blue Chins (blue throats) Crosshatch and Red Tail. So of those 3 the Blue Chin is the smallest at 9 inches. Also the most readily available from what I can tell.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what-wait.gif

Blue throat and cross hatch are the safest triggers in the reef tanks.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I believe everything I read on the Interweb but here are some sites:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what-wait.gif

Triggers are generally not reef safe.

There are some that are resafe with caution, which really only means it's a crapshoot.

Blue throat, Pink tail and X-hatch I have read are Generally the most likely not to break the rules.

I feed Heavily and Often in my DT. The triggers also mow on nori like it's cool.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are generally not reef safe.

There are some that are resafe with caution, which really only means it's a crapshoot.

Blue throat, Pink tail and X-hatch I have read are Generally the most likely not to break the rules.

I feed Heavily and Often in my DT. The triggers also mow on nori like it's cool.

I can sacrifice a snail or two, but I just don't want to loose corals.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll link the thread. It might be a nice read up for the ladies. If I don't go blue ribbon, I am getting a blue throat
Edit: I forgot thread....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy busy weekend for sure. Got my bee stuff, stopped in to a couple lfs. One has taken a big downturn in quality due I think to branching out into other things. They were really good a few years ago. The other is newer and has gotten their feet under them in the same amount of time. Sadly coral at both are pretty sad. High prices and covered in aptasia and bubble algae. But we have a strong local community of reefers so I will prob get most of my generic stuff from them.
Chores all got done and even had time yesterday to get the garden in.
Water test on the 180 done this morning. All looked pretty good. Slightly low alk at 8, slightly high nitrates 20 and phosphates .138. But all that is with my ok range.
Very tired today but in a good way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back