OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed more waterglass this morning 2ml. Then later this afternoon dosed some MB7 6 capfuls. Gonna set up the dual reactor tomorrow and run only carbon in one chamber. Pods and phyto should be here tomorrow after work. There are already some pods in the system so that's good. Have po an ni to dose when/if levels get low. Changing filter socks every day at lunch as well.
Work Out Exercise GIF

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are getting somewhere folks....
Po 60 / .186
Ni 20
So our ratios are about spot on. 1/100
Now what is supposed to happen is the phyto pods and bacteria should start consuming them to bring them back down. Then I use dosing to keep them above 0. While all this is going on continue to dose silicates to push the dinos out. Think I'm gonna run out of bacteria and phyto by end of next week. So may have to get some more.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that the po number above may not be "accurate" turns out silicates throw the hanna ulr reader for a loop so the results here may not be accurate. Have a salifert kit I am gonna try out tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go back and check my list I know I had some wrasses on it too. I'm just gonna say the markups on these have got to be huge. Should have a better idea tomorrow when I start putting the codes in.
20221120_202201.jpg
Not familiar with them, but looks like it could be a nice come up.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results are in.
Ph 8.15
Ni 25
Po .101
Alk 9.3
Ca 460
MG high as always
So on the surface the numbers look good. Would like to see a reduction in the nitrates but don't want to stall the diatom bloom I am attempting to get by doing a water change. Have about 2 days worth of phyto and 3 of bacteria so ordering more to keep with the dino program. Everything in the tank looks happy except the sand bed.
Hoping for a good week next week.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Test results are in.
Ph 8.15
Ni 25
Po .101
Alk 9.3
Ca 460
MG high as always
So on the surface the numbers look good. Would like to see a reduction in the nitrates but don't want to stall the diatom bloom I am attempting to get by doing a water change. Have about 2 days worth of phyto and 3 of bacteria so ordering more to keep with the dino program. Everything in the tank looks happy except the sand bed.
Hoping for a good week next week.
What if you add some of that nitrate reducing media? Or do they all require a reactor?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you add some of that nitrate reducing media? Or do they all require a reactor?
Good idea. I will see what's available and look into it this afternoon.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****, I just refound you after my accidental unfollow of all threads. Sorry!
I keep missing out on all kinds of stuff myself.. I'm not getting pumps to followed threads so I have no clue unless I remember to check. WELCOME BACK I appreciate the follow

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep missing out on all kinds of stuff myself.. I'm not getting pumps to followed threads so I have no clue unless I remember to check. WELCOME BACK I appreciate the follow
I don't even pay attention to my notifications half the time, turned off all reaction notifications. I just try to keep tabs on my watched threads page. I was trying to unwatch a number of random things and accidentally hit the unwatch all right before Thanksgiving.... slowly piecing everyone back together

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you Trying to get a diatom bloom?
It's a surface area war. Diatoms will fight the prorocentrum dinos for surface area on the sand bed. The dinos at the moment are winning and that's why my tank is looking like it is. Dosing silicates, bacteria and phyto. That seems to be the recipe to beat them, eventually, or so the tank gurus say.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a surface area war. Diatoms will fight the prorocentrum dinos for surface area on the sand bed. The dinos at the moment are winning and that's why my tank is looking like it is. Dosing silicates, bacteria and phyto. That seems to be the recipe to beat them, eventually, or so the tank gurus say.
It's funny that you are I are doing the exact opposite things. I'm trying to strip silicates out of the water as quickly as possible to tamp down the diatom bloom which is really really annoying ( to the point of death on some) many coral friends.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that you are I are doing the exact opposite things. I'm trying to strip silicates out of the water as quickly as possible to tamp down the diatom bloom which is really really annoying ( to the point of death on some) many coral friends.
I'll trade you. Dinos for diatoms.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ma'am. I've played the dino game before. It's horrific, I know. They only was I was able to win was adding in an additional large volume of long live rock, and water
Thinking of placing a large order with Tampa Bay saltwater as we speak. May involve a rescape depending on how much I end up with.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back