Those who don't do freshwater tanks, why?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they definitely have tons of personality I have 3 pea puffers who are like little dogs and follow me and I have a betta fish and she Is full of personality she always gets exited when I'm in front of the tank here is a youtube video I made of my pea puffers eating:

@UkiahTheTurtle I had two of those puffers but could never find exactly what species they are! My daughter has the 45-bow tank now with one of those puffers remaining. You called them "Pea Puffers"???

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own property along a trout stream....does that count?

I have various minnow species, sculpins, brook, brown and rainbow trout. We saw a mink the other day. Occasionally there are beavers and other wildlife that move through my stream.
Sounds like a good opportunity for a 10,000 gallon beaver dam terrarium complex ;)

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the textured silicone backgrounds for my 45-bowfront freshwater tank and built a custom cabinet stand shaped like the tank . It remains one of the most beautiful tanks I've ever done. Never could keep it well-planted because Dwane (the High-fin plecostamus) constantly re-arranges things. My youngest daughter has the setup now.

I went saltwater because I always wanted tangs, puffers, anemones, starfish, big crabs and an eel. Corals are beautiful but it's truly the diversity and color of saltwater that drives me. Dwane has a boatload of personality, but he's about the only freshwater fish that comes anywhere close to saltwater species.

IMG_20201127_125040055.jpg

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@UkiahTheTurtle I had two of those puffers but could never find exactly what species they are! My daughter has the 45-bow tank now with one of those puffers remaining. You called them "Pea Puffers"???
The two most common names are Dwarf Puffers and Pea Puffers. Other names include Malabar puffer, pygmy puffer, and Marble puffer.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that what I bought them as they are not even a inch long

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorite FW fish I've kept are:
- Banded Leporinus
- Red Bellied Piranha
- Red Bellied Pacu
- Blood Parrot Cichlid
- Dwarf Pufferfish
- Amazon Pufferfish
- Bristlenose Pleco
- Peacock Spiny Eel
- Betta fish
- Goldfish
- Severum Cichlid
- Electric Blue Acara
- Silver Dollar
- Red Zebra Cichlid

I also love electric blue crayfish and African dwarf frogs.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done both.......a high tech planted fresh water tank requires more maintenance than a reef tank IMO. Here is a pic of my last high tech tank....

CurrentPic.JPG

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good opportunity for a 10,000 gallon beaver dam terrarium complex ;)
I hate beavers....at least in the backyard. I have to cage any good trees like willows and apples. They girdled a 15 foot high willow, they got those big teeth around the cage somehow.;Nailbiting They even go after corn stalks around here for dams:rolleyes:.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the textured silicone backgrounds for my 45-bowfront freshwater tank and built a custom cabinet stand shaped like the tank . It remains one of the most beautiful tanks I've ever done. Never could keep it well-planted because Dwane (plecostamus in my avatar) constantly re-arranges things. My youngest daughter has the setup now.

I went saltwater because I always wanted tangs, puffers, anemones, starfish, big crabs and an eel. Corals are beautiful but it's truly the diversity and color of saltwater that drives me. Dwane has a boatload of personality, but he's about the only freshwater fish that comes anywhere close to saltwater species.

IMG_20201127_125040055.jpg
Dwayne appears to be one of your puffers lol. must have got mixed up between another fish site avatar. nice none the less!

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why I don't own a freshwater tank is that I have "been there done that". I used to have a 55-gallon freshwater turtle tank. The tank was situated outside (bad idea). I had bad algae problems due to my poor maintenance and lack of caring (The reason why I didn't care was that I wanted the algae to cover a lot of things to make it more natural and it was kind of inevitable). I had a heater that was very inconsistent and on top of that, the weather outside fluctuated so often that one time it would be 60 degrees in the tank and another time it would be 90 degrees (ideal temp is 75). This probably caused a lot of stress to that turtle making him go to the basking platform I made for him. Here's where it gets interesting: One day, my turtle ESCAPED. No trace whatsoever. We assume he got out through the basking platform. We are unsure if he is still alive because the next night, there was a freeze and sleet. So I decided to move to the saltwater world because I had always wanted to. I take much better care of my tanks now and I'm never going to go back to freshwater because saltwater is SOOOOOO much more rewarding.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the color and personality of SW fish and the corals just LOVE it!

that said I am planning my 1st FW aquca scape I say aqua scape as it more about the scape than the fish its going to be a 60P or WB mini 16 heigh tech tank. I am excited to try my hand at it.
like others have said a good planted aquascape can be just as much work and $$ as a reef tank.

if you have not ,check out these vids on green Aqua youtube channel. I was craving the warmer look and green of a FW planted tank. ( Sw can seems a bit cold with all the blue lights and purple colors)

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater is a different beast, especially if you go high tech. I had a small 20g for about a year. Completely different look than a reef and beautiful in it's own way, but it was honestly a lot more annoying to maintain than a reef tank. I gave up and broke it all down and sold everything. I'm a lot happier with just my 2 reefs.
20201113_195400.jpg

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a freshwater tank. There is zero desire to do so. I was seriously considering a dart frog ecosystem but don’t want to deal with trimming and maintaining the plants. I kill all plants including Chato. But I can keep fish and Coral.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the people that are saying fw was annoying what do you mean? the only things I do for my tank is feed fish, 2 gallon water change every couple weeks, mess around with plants(trim leaves, move epiphytes,) add 2 squirts of fertilizer(aquarium co op easy green), gravel vac a little bit in the front. if you have a python water changer and choose fish that do well in your tap water it will be so much more fun and easy

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back