Those who don't do freshwater tanks, why?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all the freshwater critters I need in the back yard and I like reefs more.

Attachments

• 20200531_063520.jpg
    20200531_063520.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 28

cheykaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh this seems to be an off-topic controversial post, but I'll try anyway.

Recently I've been to my LFS and they just updated their freshwater stock with many planted tanks. They look so dang stunning! I really mean it. The aquascape looks so natural and I admit my eyes were drawn to it even more than reef tanks. They really look like underwater gardens.

So I was wondering, those who don't want to do fw tanks, or maybe dislike them, why? I mean look at them, I bet they can rival the best reef tanks. Ok sorry I might sound a bit stupid. But you get the idea. :/
I have both....and I tell ya what alot of people always say "isn't a saltwater tank hard to take care of " I say the opposite my planted tank is a pain in the @$# ! It's actually getting broken down next weekend and going salt....the allge is my issue on it....totally different to handle than salt !

Attachments

• 20210426_174125.jpg
    20210426_174125.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 27

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both....and I tell ya what alot of people always say "isn't a saltwater tank hard to take care of " I say the opposite my planted tank is a pain in the @$# ! It's actually getting broken down next weekend and going salt....the allge is my issue on it....totally different to handle than salt !
I don't really have to do anything with my planted just add ferts, and food, do a waterchange once the tank gets dirty

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping freshwater and saltwater tanks both have their challenges...

I have been keeping freshwater tanks for over 6 years. I currently have a 5g, 10g, and 20g long.

In fact, my 20g long is right next to my 29g saltwater!
2690F089-24C9-4BB7-9B8D-86F16D5CEE6F.jpeg

Algae is caused by excess light and nutrients. How long do you leave your lights on in a day? Do you dose any liquid fertilizers?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME freshwater algae is much more relentless than saltwater algae. I’m going to be dosing chemiclean in my planted tank soon, because it has a terrible cyano outbreak that I cannot at all get rid of...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank here = unideal to clean.

method for algae control: all lights are dimmer than normal we tend to blast light into planted tanks and it doesn’t have to be that way, having intensity gradients is also nice algae control for the bottom 2/3rds of the tank, keeps clean.

the top area is getting algae no matter what.

the way it’s fixed without scratching (acrylic tank) is by draining down top third and lightly applying peroxide on a wet paper towel. Let sit in air two mins, refill. Never scrape/ ever

in 24 hours the visual hazes due to film dying, don’t rub or scrape.

in 72 hours it’s crystal clear due to sloughs off, over and over this method attains scratchless clean for a long time.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more fascinated by the ocean. But I do enjoy a nice planted tank. May have one in the future, if I can convince my better half to allow yet another tank lol

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Recently I've been to my LFS and they just updated their freshwater stock with many planted tanks. They look so dang stunning! I really mean it. The aquascape looks so natural and I admit my eyes were drawn to it even more than reef tanks. They really look like underwater gardens.

So I was wondering, those who don't want to do fw tanks, or maybe dislike them, why? I mean look at them, I bet they can rival the best reef tanks. Ok sorry I might sound a bit stupid. But you get the idea. :/

IMHO, They are simply too difficult. The knowledge base sucks. No leadership in the community.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW planted tanks are stunning. Some of the aqua shaping channels on you tube are humbling.

FW are also inexpensive and the fish far cheaper and more available.

Like others though I've found them to be counterintuitive and the knowledge base constantly contradictory. We have targets in salt water...in FW they dont.

There's also rock shaped African cichlid tanks. Those are easy and amazing. Used to breed those suckers. Fun fish.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW are also inexpensive and the fish far cheaper and more available.
Have you disagree with you on that one buddy... freshwater stock is less expensive, but definitely not inexpensive.

IME freshwater algae is much more relentless than saltwater algae. I’m going to be dosing chemiclean in my planted tank soon, because it has a terrible cyano outbreak that I cannot at all get rid of...
I completely agree.

I don’t suggest dosing chemicals to get rid of algae however.

How long do you leave your lights on in a day? Do you dose any fertilizers? Do you have any live plants?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you disagree with you on that one buddy... freshwater stock is less expensive, but definitely not inexpensive.

I completely agree.

I don’t suggest dosing chemicals to get rid of algae however.

How long do you leave your lights on in a day? Do you dose any fertilizers? Do you have any live plants?
No ferts except root tabs. 12 hour light. Mid to high amount of plants.
I did not want to do chemicals but nothing else (I had tried reducing lighting and water change increase) was working. It had no effect on the algae’s spread. At this point I am worried it will starve out my plants (they are not doing well with all the algae).

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not want to do chemicals but nothing else (I had tried reducing lighting and water change increase) was working. It had no effect on the algae’s spread. At this point I am worried it will starve out my plants (they are not doingwell with all the algae).
[1/QUOTE]

12 hours is a lot of light.

Last edited:

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not want to do chemicals but nothing else (I had tried reducing lighting and water change increase) was working. It had no effect on the algae’s spread. At this point I am worried it will starve out my plants (they are not doing well with all the algae).
What kind of algae do you have? (This depends on my recommendation for treatment)

Pictures will also help.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got tired having two different types of systems to manage

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with freshwater community fish to oscars and aggressive fish to African Cichlids and breeding African Cichlids for selling. Then sold everything and got into SW. For me personally I don't miss the weekly water changes that freshwater thriving aquariums require. But I do miss breeding since SW there's so few species that a regular hobbyist can actually breed. I'm cool with my 300g SW tank now. Don't want to go back to doing weekly water changes. ;)

btw I've never done planted, but do see the amazement and quality they provide.

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I still have a FW tank is my daughter's Pleco. It out grew the old tank and now in a 5 foot 120g tank. Otherwise I don't think I would still have a FW tank. I would love to have a large above ground outdoor tank full of fish from my pond.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really miss freshwater, mainly because of the fish behavior.

Saltwater fish are absolutely boring in comparison and I did make an effort to have an interesting fish population.

I don't know of a saltwater fish that would make me travel for a week into the depths of Africa and risk diving alone just a few hundred meters away from hippos and crocs, just to see it in its natural habitat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back