Thought I had Ich... Now I’m not sure.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I noticed a few very small white spots on my Kole Tang. It was also flashing and scraping on the sand and rocks. Sometimes I can see very small spots and other times I can’t. Over the last week my royal gramma is now showing small white spots and flashing/scraping. The Gramma is also looking a little pale with rough fins. The tang looks occasionally pale and today was swimming into the powerhead. The spots are very small and do not look like the ich pictures I have seen. If it is velvet it sounds like they should have been dead 3 weeks ago. I’ll post a few pictures but they are very camera shy. I’m thinking I should quarantine and treat with copper but I would like to know what I am dealing with. This is my first time attempting to treat a disease outside of quarantine.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A80EBFC5-E699-4FE6-85C8-3A04892487F2.jpeg
EC018A2E-277A-447F-9D55-A03E188DC1CB.jpeg

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the white spots are particulate in the water. I’m not really seeing any spots today. I should also mention that all fish went through TTM but I haven’t quarantined inverts or corals. I traded someone local a few months ago which I believe must have been the carrier. Nothing else has changed since winter.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole who very occasionally swims into a powerhead. For about 2 seconds. In an attempt to eat algae off of it.

I am more suspect of flukes here with your description. Likely not velvet if it's been going on for a few weeks.

How big is DT?

Can you trap your Kole and do a 5min FW dip? See if flukes come off?

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display is 90 gallons. I’ve never had to trap a fish in the display before but that sounds like a good first step. I feel like the spots don’t look like ich or velvet. I found the article with those images and it made me more confused.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see flukes after a FW dip then it's likely ich IMO.

Given your description and the time frame. Anything is possible with the addition or corals etc that weren't QTd.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spent 2 hours and was unable to catch him. I knocked over several corals in the process too. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. I was able to catch one of my clowns and gave him a 5 min dip with no signs of flukes.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spent 2 hours and was unable to catch him. I knocked over several corals in the process too. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. I was able to catch one of my clowns and gave him a 5 min dip with no signs of flukes.

Do you have a fish trap?

You can make one with eggcrate and zip ties. Then a piece of fishing line.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back