Thought on foxface

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I have a 5x2 foot tank. About 18, inches tall so it's more of a frag system but I prefer it likke that.

Anyways it's lightly stocked.

Mandarin
Purple tang
White tail bristletooth
Two clowns
Cleaner wrasse
Springer damsel

I am curious if adding a foxface would be a good idea? I know people have mixed reviews about foxfaces but I want to hear your opinions about one in a mixed reef.

I will be honest I am also hoping he will keep the purple in check since I heard foxfaces are a great destresser for aquariums.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say absolutely go for it

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to have mine in a 4ft 120g. Go for it! My personal favorite yellow fish

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that the coral nipping stories are just fox faces trying to get at algae growing near em. They’re honestly super trouble-free and hardy.
5 feet is plenty.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, good for algae control as well.
Always been one of my favorite fishes. Try and find one that isn't thin!
If you can get one larger or close to the size of your tangs that would be good. My yellow eye kole (most vicious tang i've owned) killed a smaller foxface with its tail in about 24 hours.
The purple does not mess with the large foxface in the other tank and he definitely keeps the peace. Only the dwarf angels reserve a little aggression.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that the coral nipping stories are just fox faces trying to get at algae growing near em. They’re honestly super trouble-free and hardy.
5 feet is plenty.
That's awesome to hear. I have a bit of a hair algae problem, I know why and it's because I was over feeding for a fish that I've sold at this point. So I also think he would be more then well fed plus I will just feed Nori everyday.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope they don't nip corals hahahah

The instances of this happening seem few and far between, and I agree with the notion that it may well have been the fish going after algae in most cases. But anyway, such reports are anecdotal anyway, and with so little frequency, I’m willing to roll the proverbial dice. I’d much rather have a one spot foxface than a yellow tang or lemon peel angel. But again, that’s just me

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, good for algae control as well.
Always been one of my favorite fishes. Try and find one that isn't thin!
If you can get one larger or close to the size of your tangs that would be good. My yellow eye kole (most vicious tang i've owned) killed a smaller foxface with its tail in about 24 hours.
The purple does not mess with the large foxface in the other tank and he definitely keeps the peace. Only the dwarf angels reserve a little aggression.
Wow really of all the tangs I didn't expect to hear that from a yellow.eyed. the one unanimous thing I hear from people that do have one whether it "eats" coral or not they all love them and think it's an awesome fish. But yeah I'd def try to get one of a decent size. My purples maybe 3 or 4 inch tip to tail

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really of all the tangs I didn't expect to hear that from a yellow.eyed. the one unanimous thing I hear from people that do have one whether it "eats" coral or not they all love them and think it's an awesome fish. But yeah I'd def try to get one of a decent size. My purples maybe 3 or 4 inch tip to tail
I’ve never heard that before about a yellow eye either. I had one of them also and he was 100% concerned about his next mouthful of algae.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instances of this happening seem few and far between, and I agree with the notion that it may well have been the fish going after algae in most cases. But anyway, such reports are anecdotal anyway, and with so little frequency, I’m willing to roll the proverbial dice. I’d much rather have a one spot foxface than a yellow tang or lemon peel angel. But again, that’s just me
Yeah and tbh I feel I really need a 3rd big fish to break up the aggression I feel bad for my white tail he is an absolute trooper but clearly the purple nips his tail at night but during the day they swim together. An odd sort lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back