Thoughts on adding a T5HO fixture to current setup

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6’ long 125 gallon tank at my office. You can check my build thread for the specifics.

Long story short:

When we built our new office back in 2020, the boss wanted a reef tank in the conference room. He knew I had some experience with aquariums, so he left it up to me to plan and take care of the tank. Which is kind of cool that I’m getting paid to do my hobby at work.

But he ran out and bought a bunch of used equipment off of Facebook marketplace without knowing what he was buying, and basically told me “make it work.”

I’ve been slowly getting rid of the stuff we don’t need and replacing old items with modern versions.

One thing he really won’t budge on is lighting. We are currently using the old version of the Current USA Marine Orbit fixtures. We have two 36” fixtures suspended over the tank. I’d love to replace these with something else, but the price of new fixtures are an issue.

Here are some pictures from two years ago when I installed the lights:

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0430.jpeg

These lights aren’t really the best. I can grow softies and have had mixed success with euphyllia. I have some chalices and leptos which are doing fine. Someone gave me Monti caps two times, and they both died rather quickly.

I tried a Birdsnest, but it isn’t really taking off, and I suspect the lights may be the issue.

So I have a 36” Glo brand T5ho leftover from before I switched my home planted tank to LED.

If I were to switch out the bulbs to something more reef friendly, do you think I could use it in conjunction with the existing LED fixtures to be able to grow more light hungry corals like Birdsnest?

Thoughts on this?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think much is going to thrive in that tank until it matures and has more biodiversity, which is going to take time. Maybe find some live sand from an established tank and some rubble rock too. I would convince your boss that lighting is one of the cornerstones to a healthy reef. The animals depend on getting quality light, so if he wants a healthy "living" reef, he's going to be very disappointed with the current setup. T5's will work, but you'll need at least 4 bulbs to make it work. I think a better investment would be LED bars like Quanta Pro's or the like. Reach out to @Lousybreed and he'll help you pick the right combo for your tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6’ long 125 gallon tank at my office. You can check my build thread for the specifics.

Long story short:

When we built our new office back in 2020, the boss wanted a reef tank in the conference room. He knew I had some experience with aquariums, so he left it up to me to plan and take care of the tank. Which is kind of cool that I’m getting paid to do my hobby at work.

But he ran out and bought a bunch of used equipment off of Facebook marketplace without knowing what he was buying, and basically told me “make it work.”

I’ve been slowly getting rid of the stuff we don’t need and replacing old items with modern versions.

One thing he really won’t budge on is lighting. We are currently using the old version of the Current USA Marine Orbit fixtures. We have two 36” fixtures suspended over the tank. I’d love to replace these with something else, but the price of new fixtures are an issue.

Here are some pictures from two years ago when I installed the lights:

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0430.jpeg

These lights aren’t really the best. I can grow softies and have had mixed success with euphyllia. I have some chalices and leptos which are doing fine. Someone gave me Monti caps two times, and they both died rather quickly.

I tried a Birdsnest, but it isn’t really taking off, and I suspect the lights may be the issue.

So I have a 36” Glo brand T5ho leftover from before I switched my home planted tank to LED.

If I were to switch out the bulbs to something more reef friendly, do you think I could use it in conjunction with the existing LED fixtures to be able to grow more light hungry corals like Birdsnest?

Thoughts on this?
I added 3 48” T5’s to my cheap LED.
A blue plus, an Antinic, and a Coral Sun ( the whites 6500k)

IMG_2019.jpeg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@minus9

Did you miss the pics are from 2 years ago?

@bluecheese
T5s are fine if you're committed with replacing the bulbs on a regular basis.

I personally would fight for LED fixtures that have enough par to grow what ever you want.
Believe me, the battle is still ongoing.

But do you think the t5ho fixture will allow me to grow thinks like Monti cap and less demanding sps like Birdsnest?

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Believe me, the battle is still ongoing.

But do you think the t5ho fixture will allow me to grow thinks like Monti cap and less demanding sps like Birdsnest?
Without a doubt. Depends on the number of bulbs and bulb selection but a 4 bulb fixture will grow near anything in the upper reaches of that tank.

I will ALWAYS advocate for T5. A T5 with LED retro is the best light money can buy.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all boils down to par. If you have or can get your hands on a par meter you'll know for certain if it will. 300-350 mid tank is what you want to shoot for.

With it being a business, you can advocate how T5s are not environmentally friendly and how they need to be properly recycled.

Also point out that LEDs will last longer and be less of a hassle compared to any other option.

If he wants to pay you by pulling you off of your primary job to tinker with an office novelty, he's certainly welcome to do so.

But it's not a wise business choice.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's not a wise business choice.
Thanks for the business lesson. He’s a self-made millionaire who owns multiple successful businesses. Our construction company is a multimillion dollar enterprise which had been involved in most high profile projects in south Louisiana. So I’m fairly confident that we know what we’re doing.

How I spend my work day is between my boss and I, and definitely isn’t why I posed my original question.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my next question would be, since it’s only a 36” fixture, should I place it over the center of the tank where everything will get some of the light, or place it over the last of the tank where the more light hungry corals will be?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the business lesson. He’s a self-made millionaire who owns multiple successful businesses. Our construction company is a multimillion dollar enterprise which had been involved in most high profile projects in south Louisiana. So I’m fairly confident that we know what we’re doing.
Ok with that background I think some tough love is required.

What your considering is pretty rinky dink using a 2 unit 36" repurposed t5's to a 72" tank.
Yea maybe if you want an island type set up

Certainly doesn't speak multimillion $ co. .

Now that said most self made didn't get there by foolishly spending large chunks of cash either.

So I lean to sort of a compromise .
2 71" Quanta Pro bars in the flavor of your choice. 107watts each.
Simple on/off if you choose and still have the Current for the tech aspect.

This is only 1 of dozens of possible " upgrade" combinations

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a fight are you? You clearly took what I said wrong. A bit of a hot head are ya?

I didn't acquire about his wealth nor social standings, but for some reason you fealt that it was necessary to inject it. It doesn't change how I would've answered.
Millionaire or not, if he's buying used equipment then he doesn't want this to be a money pit.

Purchasing T5s wouldn't be the best choice.

I was merely giving you an angle to use as means to justify your position. How you took it was completely wrong

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a fight are you? You clearly took what I said wrong. A bit of a hot head are ya?

I didn't acquire about his wealth nor social standings, but for some reason you fealt that it was necessary to inject it. It doesn't change how I would've answered.
Millionaire or not, if he's buying used equipment then he doesn't want this to be a money pit.

Purchasing T5s wouldn't be the best choice.

I was merely giving you an angle to use as means to justify your position. How you took it was completely wrong

Looking for a fight? Not really. I forgot all about you after I responded to your post.

But yeah, your post seemed a little arrogant .

“If he wants to pay you by pulling you off of your primary job to tinker with an office novelty, he's certainly welcome to do so.

But it's not a wise business choice.”

Is what you posted. Exactly how am I supposed take that? Seems rather condescending. But maybe you didn’t mean it that way. Which if true, please accept my apologies.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big T5 advocate, they are great at growing and coloring up corals.

Placing the light in the center would probably work for lower light SPS, especially if you can get them up high and under the T5.

The lighting will probably look uneven. You really need two 3 foot fixtures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back