Thoughts on adding a T5HO fixture to current setup

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cheap grow setups over my fuges for a long time. They are fine. They are not the quaility of ATI, but also not the price tag. I actually had a ballast go out on a AgroSomething last week after more than 5 years... not bad.

Get a unit with polished reflectors instead of white or black - it helps with output that even a handheld Apogee 510 can notice. Otherwise, if you understand the build quality, then they won't let you down.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cheap grow setups over my fuges for a long time. They are fine. They are not the quaility of ATI, but also not the price tag. I actually had a ballast go out on a AgroSomething last week after more than 5 years... not bad.

Get a unit with polished reflectors instead of white or black - it helps with output that even a handheld Apogee 510 can notice. Otherwise, if you understand the build quality, then they won't let you down.
The HTG unit I'm looking at says it "Features polished aluminum premium reflector"

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Current USA LED fixtures have just a blue channel and a white channel. When I get the new t5 fixture, and with the 4 total bulbs being 2 blue+, 1 coral+, and 1 actinic, would it be safe to just zero out the white channel on the LEDs if the tank loos too white from the coral+ bulb?

I currently have the white channel at 15%, and it balances out the blues from the blue channel and the current t5s.

I guess I’m asking g if the coral+ bulb had enough of a white spectrum that the LED whites are unnecessary.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new fixture in yesterday. Hung it today

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

So now I’m running 2 Blue+ bulbs, 1 True Actinic and 1 Coral+

The tank is now a blueish white color. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. It may have to grow on me. If I wind up not liking it, I’ll pick up another Blue+ bulb and see how that looks.

I’m going to do like I did with the other fixture and increase the photo period by one hour a day until it matches the 7 hour photo period of the other fixture.

One thing I've noticed since I installed the first T5 fixture is that a birdsnest coral that was browning is now starting to fluoresce green again.

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new fixture in yesterday. Hung it today

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

So now I’m running 2 Blue+ bulbs, 1 True Actinic and 1 Coral+

The tank is now a blueish white color. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. It may have to grow on me. If I wind up not liking it, I’ll pick up another Blue+ bulb and see how that looks.

I’m going to do like I did with the other fixture and increase the photo period by one hour a day until it matches the 7 hour photo period of the other fixture.

One thing I've noticed since I installed the first T5 fixture is that a birdsnest coral that was browning is now starting to fluoresce green again.
Looks good. Remember white(er) light is not a bad thing. Give things a few months to start showing their colors

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Blue+ is not going to make it whiter. You would probably want another C+ or AB Special

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Remember white(er) light is not a bad thing. Give things a few months to start showing their colors
Right now I have the LED blue channel at 85% and the white channel at 15%. I may turn up the blue channel and zero out the white channel to see how things look.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. My misunderstanding. I generally do not like a lot of Blue+ but I prefer a whiter look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back