Thoughts on adding a T5HO fixture to current setup

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As @jda mentioned, going from LED to mh/T5 isn't that big of a deal for corals, but the other way is. Adding 15m to an hour a day shouldn't be an issue at all. Remember, as you increase lighting, increase flow and check your alk consumption.

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this fixture? Its relatively cheap. Its marketed as a reptile enclosure light, but its T5ho.

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/36315-t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip--48
Probably 1/2 doz like brands out there.
Sunblaster line has some nice add ons though.

Though most of my experience with like lights was the shop variety most of those "built in" ballast types are hit and miss to longetivity as Ken101Ward mentioned.

Burn out or start to whine type stuff.

Oh yea, years ago I had some discussions of the actual reflector angle ect of the Sunblaster.. Was never resolved but most don't really define it either.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added HO T5 fixtures to supplement my LED lighting. I'm on a budget so I got mine from HTGsupplycom . They have a wide range of fixtures that are reasonably priced. I used a similar fixture in your post above but the fixture didn't last long and is a disposable product.
How long have you had the HTG Supply light on your tank?

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the HTG Supply light on your tank?
I brought two 4' 2 lamp fixtures on black friday 2023. So discussions on their potential lifespan is pointless, but I can replace the ballasts or lamp sockets should they fail down the road. Repairability and the fact both fixtures with lamps were under $150 to my door is why i brought them. The single lamp fixture, like the one in your post, didn't last me 12 months. FWIW, the HTG Supply fixture is a "generic" flourescent fixture, not designed for aquarium applications. I couldn't find many options avaiable for a stand alone 2 lamp fixture at their price point.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the sale forums. The prices for the used ones still can't compete with the $73 grow lights online.

I saw those videos, which is why I got the Blue+ and Actinic bulbs for the current fixture. Looking at ATI's website it looks like a mix of the Blue+ and Coral+ will give me the color I'm looking for.

One concern is availability of T5 bulbs. Bulk Reef Supply has some, but they do not have them for the 48" fixture I'm thinking about getting. I do have a LFS that sells ATI bulbs. I need to talk to them and see if they believe they will continue to get new stock in.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the sale forums. The prices for the used ones still can't compete with the $73 grow lights online.

I saw those videos, which is why I got the Blue+ and Actinic bulbs for the current fixture. Looking at ATI's website it looks like a mix of the Blue+ and Coral+ will give me the color I'm looking for.

One concern is availability of T5 bulbs. Bulk Reef Supply has some, but they do not have them for the 48" fixture I'm thinking about getting. I do have a LFS that sells ATI bulbs. I need to talk to them and see if they believe they will continue to get new stock in.
Premium Aquatics keeps them in stock. I just ordered from them and have bulbs showing up today.

Saltwateraquarium.com also stocks them: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/48-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-54-watt-ati/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back