Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will t5s work in my tank

Is it a wise business move to have me working on a reef tank on company time

Why is the video I posted not working for me

Pick your poison.

Ok, I'll take a wack at it...
1.) More light is more light. Though not ideal, t5's should span the length of the tank. If I had to use a 36" fixture, I would center it(so it doesn't look like one end is brighter). If centered, you MAY be able to use the peaks of rock work for a bird nest or other less demanding sps.
2.) Who cares. If you're an accountant or lawyer, bad idea. If your fliping burgers at McDonald's, good idea. I've spent countless hours on my tank. If I were getting paid for it, it would be double that.
3.) I can see your video..

Screenshot_20231231-192548_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’ll probably say something like “why buy a new light when it’s apparent this one is sufficient?”

But I’m thinking of approaching him about maybe the Quanta light bars since they’re relatively cheap.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen anybody who regretted adding T5s to their LEDs? If so, can you find a second person?

This is kinda like sex... nobody says "I tried it once in college and it just wasn't for me..."

They might not fit, or you might not want to buy them, but they will help if you install them.

As for the company guy/boss? Only you know. I had an investor once tell me that I could not hire a guy because his eyes were too blue... nobody knows the intricacies/nuance of your boss like you do. I would not let the tank cost you your job unless you just hate it.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDA almost always hits the nail on the head. T5 are being dismissed out of hand these days. There really isn’t a better light for growing corals, especially SPS.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s no lighting system on its own that lights a tank better than T5’s. My issue was always with how everything looked, no contrast or depth, but for pure growth and health, they’re hard to beat. That’s why halides and T5’s had such success lighting tanks.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's thoughts on acclimating the tank to the T5s by increasing their on time by 1 hour a week versus just putting them on the full light schedule now?

I ask a because right now I'm at 2 hours a day of on time for the T5s, and the corals are responding well to them, but when the T5s turn off some of the corals are retracting like its night time before coming back out again.

Should I continue with my one hour a week increase, or would it be ok to just go full tilt boogie with it and set it to its full photoperiod now?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum, spikes in wavelengths, not enough red or IR to help handle data moving between photosystems.. maybe more. Nobody really knows for sure and nobody cares enough to research... it has just always been this way. My MH bulbs drop by like 30% in the two years that I run them and when I change them out it is like nothing happened - you increase LEDs 43% to get from 70 to 100% and corals will freak out.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually reduce the photo period by an hour when changing my mh bulbs and add 15 minutes every couple days until I'm back to norm. Been doing this since the late 80's early 90's without issue. Change LEDs by 10-20% and you get issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back