Thoughts on Dr. Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank has been running for about 6months. City has really good tap water so I've used it since I started. Had live rock and sand.

Would you do that for a current order you are working on???

Yes PM me your order#

Code "Reef2Reef" will give you 20% off. Sale will end Sunday. April 7th

In the last 4 months I have about $800 in fish from you. Currently have a $220 order in that is shipping next week. I won’t be asking for the 20% off because the service is totally worth more. Honestly I think I’m underpaying.

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently going through a wrong fish mix up with them unfortunately. Was sent a different angel and they're saying I was sent a blue face angel. As its one of my top three fish, I know what it looks like :)

Ordered https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/product/blueface-angelfish-adult/
Received https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/product/queen-angelfish-adult/ But I actually think it's a Blue not a queen because the coloring on the tail is different.
Sorry, had to switch to my phone. Here’s the fish received…anyone know what kind of angel this is? The color is more yellow blue like a Blue Angel vs gold and blue like a queen. It does have an interesting marking on the head that’s similar to a queen but a totally different shape. But one thing is 100% sure that it’s NOT the blue/orange/white BlueFaced Angel fish I actually ordered.

Is there a different forum that @Dr Reef checks?

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2806.mov
    63.3 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, had to switch to my phone. Here’s the fish received…anyone know what kind of angel this is? The color is more yellow blue like a Blue Angel vs gold and blue like a queen. It does have an interesting marking on the head that’s similar to a queen but a totally different shape. But one thing is 100% sure that it’s NOT the blue/orange/white BlueFaced Angel fish I actually ordered.

Clearly that is not a blue-faced angel. Whether you made a mistake in ordering - or Dr. Reef made a mistake in supplying - the is not the appropriate forum - its the vendor forum. Best wishes

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So i have checked my purchase records and also sent this pic from the customer to my wholesaler and they also confirmed it looks like a sub adult BLUE Angel (holacanthus isabelita) not a BLUE FACE (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)
So it was a mix up from the wholesaler, as we dont carry this fish in our inventory and only acquire when orders come in.
Either way its a mixup and I recommend @linzlou4 to contact us at [email protected] and will arrange a true blue face angel for you at no cost to you.
You can choose to keep/gift/sell this fish at your disposal.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing what most hobbyist dont account for is pH, Not salinity.
Lower salinity to higher or vice versa is not that big of a deal like most hobbyist think. yes it has its issues but not as bad as pH.
People go from 1.025 to 0 when they do freshwater bath for 3-5 min. Then back to 1.025 with no ramp up or ramp down time. if salinity was such a big deal why dont those fish just die right away or few hours or day later.
1st rule of freshwater dip is make to make sure temp and pH is same as your tank.
Because salinity is not as harsh vs sudden changes in pH.
When we recieve our fish from overseas, they have been travelling for a while. normally their pH has dropped below 7 (avg 6.6-6.8) and salinity is 1.013-15 range.
We bring them up to pH 7.0 with 1.017 sg water and when pH is 7.0 then we acclimate them from sg 1.017 pH7.0 to 1.023 pH 8.0
This is same method most ALL wholesalers use and we do it too. Again influence is on pH not Sg.
Thanks for sharing this info. I always assumed we were mostly adjusting for salinity and of course some difference in water chemistry. I did not realize PH dropped so low during shipping. I always find it immensely cool to get a peak behind the curtain of vendors. See how they do things, the potato chip machine was super cool. Not in a million years would I have guessed that. I just pictured guys bagging fish in similar fashion as to the LFS.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this info. I always assumed we were mostly adjusting for salinity and of course some difference in water chemistry. I did not realize PH dropped so low during shipping. I always find it immensely cool to get a peak behind the curtain of vendors. See how they do things, the potato chip machine was super cool. Not in a million years would I have guessed that. I just pictured guys bagging fish in similar fashion as to the LFS.
I remember bagging and using rubber bands in the beggining, but the orders were so many that my hands and fingers would get tired. Then I saw this setup at a very named brand coral farm, they did not wanna share any info with me on the machine but i was able to get the name and manufacturer off the label on the machine and got it from China. it makes life so easy to pack when you are doing 80-100 bags per day.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have checked my purchase records and also sent this pic from the customer to my wholesaler and they also confirmed it looks like a sub adult BLUE Angel (holacanthus isabelita) not a BLUE FACE (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)
So it was a mix up from the wholesaler, as we dont carry this fish in our inventory and only acquire when orders come in.
Either way its a mixup and I recommend @linzlou4 to contact us at [email protected] and will arrange a true blue face angel for you at no cost to you.
You can choose to keep/gift/sell this fish at your disposal.
This is a prime example. You can not ask for any better resolution than that!
Mistakes happen in every business, Im a small (very small) business owner. We make mistakes and we do our best to fix our mistakes. But you are not going to make everyone happy no matter what you do and you have to accept that. (took me minute to figure that out) Fortunately for me it is rare that I have to discus/resolve things in a public forum. Kuddos to Dr Reef for being involved in these threads and answering questions and addressing problems out in the open.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my first fish from Dr. Reef’s with a scheduled ship this Wednesday/arrival Thursday and will share my experience and pictures for added context.
The delivery, acclimation, and tank introduction went extremely well! These were my first fish in my first reef tank.

The fish all arrived healthy and while a couple showed signs of stress from the travel, by the first full day, all were out and about in the tank at some point. I am closely watching some of them to determine if bullying is going to become an issue, but that is an environment (my tank) specific issue.

I can’t wait to be in a position to order from Dr Reef again! Well done!

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Code "Reef2Reef" will give you 20% off. Sale will end Sunday. April 7th
Dr. Reef. I tried to place an order today using the code but am on getting 10% off. Please let me know if I can still get in on the 20% off. Thanks.

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef. I tried to place an order today using the code but am on getting 10% off. Please let me know if I can still get in on the 20% off. Thanks.
Ok, I just realized that the code works for 20% off fish. I had coral in my cart which did not show any discount.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi we checked its 20% but the discount applies only on fish and inverts.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blueface angel has been doing great in qt.
Wanted to share the pics and video for you to confirm.
It's healthy and about 7" or maybe more to 8"

20240409_141658(0).jpg

20240409_141655.jpg

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blueface angel has been doing great in qt.
Wanted to share the pics and video for you to confirm.
It's healthy and about 7" or maybe more to 8"

20240409_141658(0).jpg

20240409_141655.jpg

That is a gorgeous fish. Wish I had a big enough tank.

Just got my order. Wrasse didn't make it. But within 15 minutes of my email with the info I had a response and will be getting a reshipment of something soon. Just need to think on if I want to try a wrasse again or something easier.

The cleaner shrimp did come and is looking fantastic so far! He has set up station in the tank and is eating pellets and cleaning anyone willing to visit. He is also SO vibrant. By far one of the nicest I have ever seen. Thanks so much!

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a gorgeous fish. Wish I had a big enough tank.

Just got my order. Wrasse didn't make it. But within 15 minutes of my email with the info I had a response and will be getting a reshipment of something soon. Just need to think on if I want to try a wrasse again or something easier.

The cleaner shrimp did come and is looking fantastic so far! He has set up station in the tank and is eating pellets and cleaning anyone willing to visit. He is also SO vibrant. By far one of the nicest I have ever seen. Thanks so much!
Hi I am so sorry for the loss of yellow coris. we normally send 2 of those but in your notes it said smallest and that was the smallest I had. But we will ship you replacement on whatever you decide upon.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi I am so sorry for the loss of yellow coris. we normally send 2 of those but in your notes it said smallest and that was the smallest I had. But we will ship you replacement on whatever you decide upon.

No worries at all. I'm honestly shocked it didn't make it. It was the perfect size too. The shrimp looks so good I would have thought the coris would have made it for sure.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back