Thoughts on my AP9X schedule/settings

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" 100 Gallon Tank. 2 x AP9X's 13" in from the sides of the tank and centered front/back. 10" off the water.
initial light.jpg

In the next month or so I'll borrow/rent a PAR meter and annotate the photo above so I know what readings I have.

I'm following the recommendations for soft/LPS from the BRSTV video.

Lower BRSTV Numbers.png

Right now all I've got is some GSP and Xenia near the bottom. Tank has been running for about six weeks now. I'm not going to be adding any other corals until after the holidays since I want to make sure the xenia/gsp is doing fine and hopefully some coralline algae will start to develop. The "plan" is some more soft or possible LPS coral and maybe a move in the distant future to some SPS.

My question is about the duration (discussed quite a bit) and/or ramp up/down settings (not discussed that much). seems to be lots of opinion and one thing I didn't really find from BRSTV or is how long to ramp up to your "noon/max/middle of day" settings? I'm using the Kessil moolight from 2000-0700. I took the default TB schedule and set my "middle of day" settings to the picture above. I didn't adjust the violet/red channels up/down during the day...only the INT as I ramped up/down. Should I also be adjusting the violet/red channels as starting near zero in the morning and then ramping up to the 20 V 4 R 0 G as noon then down as the "evening" progresses? or is it really the INT that is the "strength" of the light ?

One other thing I didn't know. I kinda assumed that the lights would slowly ramp up/down from one set point to another as the lines that connect one set point to another go up or down between the two points. If I put INT 100 at 1200 and then my next point was INT 50 AT 1700...I wrongly assumed it would slowly ramp itself down from 1200 - 1700 so it was at INT 50 at 1700. but no...it's instantaneous at 1700. In my settings below I could delete the 1600 set point as it's not needed. The lights would ramp up at 1200 and then instantly switch at the 1630 set point.

1st Half of Day.jpg

2nd Half of Day.jpg

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" 100 Gallon Tank. 2 x AP9X's 13" in from the sides of the tank and centered front/back. 10" off the water.
initial light.jpg

In the next month or so I'll borrow/rent a PAR meter and annotate the photo above so I know what readings I have.

I'm following the recommendations for soft/LPS from the BRSTV video.

Lower BRSTV Numbers.png

Right now all I've got is some GSP and Xenia near the bottom. Tank has been running for about six weeks now. I'm not going to be adding any other corals until after the holidays since I want to make sure the xenia/gsp is doing fine and hopefully some coralline algae will start to develop. The "plan" is some more soft or possible LPS coral and maybe a move in the distant future to some SPS.

My question is about the duration (discussed quite a bit) and/or ramp up/down settings (not discussed that much). seems to be lots of opinion and one thing I didn't really find from BRSTV or is how long to ramp up to your "noon/max/middle of day" settings? I'm using the Kessil moolight from 2000-0700. I took the default TB schedule and set my "middle of day" settings to the picture above. I didn't adjust the violet/red channels up/down during the day...only the INT as I ramped up/down. Should I also be adjusting the violet/red channels as starting near zero in the morning and then ramping up to the 20 V 4 R 0 G as noon then down as the "evening" progresses? or is it really the INT that is the "strength" of the light ?

One other thing I didn't know. I kinda assumed that the lights would slowly ramp up/down from one set point to another as the lines that connect one set point to another go up or down between the two points. If I put INT 100 at 1200 and then my next point was INT 50 AT 1700...I wrongly assumed it would slowly ramp itself down from 1200 - 1700 so it was at INT 50 at 1700. but no...it's instantaneous at 1700. In my settings below I could delete the 1600 set point as it's not needed. The lights would ramp up at 1200 and then instantly switch at the 1630 set point.

1st Half of Day.jpg

2nd Half of Day.jpg
thats a sweet light i just picked up one on sale i cant wait to mess with it.

how do you like those mounts? i cant believe they are 80-100$ per jeezzzzeeee.. but i just might have 2 get one.....

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this schedule with a t5 and 2 360x but when I just had the kessils I made a schedule with about 20 points for ramp up and 20 for ramp down and it makes a smooth transition. Always at about 12-13 total light hours

Nice looking tank and lights

Screenshot_20211123-171409_Kessil WiFi.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a sweet light i just picked up one on sale i cant wait to mess with it.

how do you like those mounts? i cant believe they are 80-100$ per jeezzzzeeee.. but i just might have 2 get one.....
The mounts are nice and the lights attach to them with screws so they are secure.

...but yeah...they are not cheap.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so I thought I'd shared my results after I rented a PAR meter...but it appears I did not. It's been a couple of months so I can't remember the model I rented from the LFS..but I tried four different settings for my AP9X based on the BRSTV video with a little modifications to see what kind of PAR I could measure.

Here is the schedule:

30 noon.jpg

I'm using setting D...so if you look at the attached pic the numbers should read: a/b/c/D....so along the top shelf which I thought would be a good place for eventual high PAR stuff like acro's and maybe a clam.

4 x PAR Values.png

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....for example. I have a favia in the spot where the label in the upper left corner is. I measured PAR at that spot on setting D as 210.

Here is a pic the day it came in:

Favia Dec 21.jpg

Here is a pic after about six months:

Favia Jun 22.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ap9x on a 48g I dont know the par numbers but here is the schedule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603-201947_Kessil WiFi.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603-201947_Kessil WiFi.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 20220602_184254.jpg
    20220602_184254.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my real question is: Is this TOO much PAR along the top? I was assuming I needed it this high for eventual acro and other "high light" corals. I understand people have a wide range of PAR that works...and that slowly moving a coral up from a frag rack is the way to go...but eventually if you have things dialed up too high it's going to fry corals.

I'm using setting D....so along the top row of arrows is the number on the right in the set. Same for the bottom.

I have zoa's happily growing on the island in the left center at around 140 PAR. I small montipora growing around the back at around 225 PAR.

4 x PAR Values.png

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my real question is: Is this TOO much PAR along the top? I was assuming I needed it this high for eventual acro and other "high light" corals. I understand people have a wide range of PAR that works...and that slowly moving a coral up from a frag rack is the way to go...but eventually if you have things dialed up too high it's going to fry corals.

I'm using setting D....so along the top row of arrows is the number on the right in the set. Same for the bottom.

I have zoa's happily growing on the island in the left center at around 140 PAR. I small montipora growing around the back at around 225 PAR.

4 x PAR Values.png
Did you see my settings my light schedule and picture? its only 21" from the bottom, there is only 14" of water my intensity is double and length of time is longer than yours, I also have zoas, thats the only soft coral in the tank, the rest are birds nest several montipora and a few acros.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it doesn't look like enough light for later down the road right now with the new rocks and corals tho it looks perfect but when it starts to grow in I like to increase intensity or the number or light fixtures, basically you cant have to much light only to much light to quick that the corals aren't use to yet.

I dont take par measurements , id probably be very surprised if I did, but I feel I dont need to, and I believe they just add to the # chase, the good thing about the ap9x is the noticeable high and low light areas it creates visually. The good thing is you have plenty of light to increase when you need it. The acclamation settings are great for that.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it doesn't look like enough light for later down the road right now with the new rocks and corals tho it looks perfect but when it starts to grow in I like to increase intensity or the number or light fixtures, basically you cant have to much light only to much light to quick that the corals aren't use to yet.

I dont take par measurements , id probably be very surprised if I did, but I feel I dont need to, and I believe they just add to the # chase, the good thing about the ap9x is the noticeable high and low light areas it creates visually. The good thing is you have plenty of light to increase when you need it. The acclamation settings are great for that.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the feedback

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture with that info was when the tank was brand new...this is what it looks like today after a water change/stirred sand just a bit/glass cleaning.

Needless to say...we are battling a little bit of GHA.

04 Jun 2022.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back