Three Acanthurus tangs walk into a bar...

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Goldrim Tang had not let up on it's constant harrassment of the Powder Brown so I decided to save the Powder Brown and, for the time being, moved it to the sump.

When I went downstairs this morning to check on everybody I found the Powder Brown trying to hide in the area of the return line near the surface. It had actually rotated the return line out of it's normal position, to create a little room between itself and it's harasser.

His fins were all shredded up and was looking quite stressed so now it joins the other Gold Nugget Clownfish that had been rejected by it's potential mate.

I would have preferred to have caught the Goldrim and removed it instead but maybe I can do that another day.

I dont really want either of those fish down in the sump so I'm going to have to really consider what I want to do going forward.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Achilles, even though the eye is still a little foggy, is doing great. I'll wait patiently until the lights come up again to get a better look at it's (hopefully) healing progress.

It's been picking at the rocks for algae and getting what nori it needs from the clips. I believe it's also getting used to the other foods that we've been feeding the tank, such as Ocean Nutrition and Zoo Med flakes. Everybody has been enjoying frozen for a good while now.

The Goldrim, now named Jet for how quickly it darts about the tank, seems to be establishing itself as the tank boss.

The Powder Brown is perking up a bit from it's current home in the sump while I consider my options. It is eating and hopefully finds some companionship with the Gold Nugget Clown.

My favorite observation these past few weeks has been the lack of any symptoms of parasites, such as ich, as I had struggled with that for far too long

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles' eye appears to be getting better. It looks like it will return to normal given time and good water quality. Between the Achilles and the Moorish Idol, it's an absolute treat to be able to watch these fish in my own tank after trying for so long to get this right. I'll try to post some more pictures within the next few days when I'm not dealing with my 70 hour work week.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm likely going to be purchasing a mustard tang and powder blue next week that will go with my Achilles. Hoping all will go well after a few days of settling in. Glad you are having success

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report that the Achilles is doing great! Eye appears to be completely healed, and is one of the most active swimmers in the tank. It loves surfing into the current of the powerheads.

The powder brown is still living in the sump till the day I attempt to reintroduce to the display. I'll have to build an acclimation box for em and the other gold nugget clownfish though as I dont want to see them get killed.

The goldrim is still the boss but hasn't been stabbing anybody lately, so that's good news.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have all settled in well? Who ended up being king? I just introduced a small mustard and powder blue to my tank just now... I was able to catch my Achilles in an acclimation box to let the new arrivals adjust. Hope to have your luck!

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Goldrim got shanked a bit yesterday and was a little out of sorts about it but recovered to its normal behavior by the end of the day.

The Powder Brown is still in the sump and happily swimming about in it's little home along with the other Gold Nugget Clownfish.

The Achilles is the most active swimmer in the tank and loves swimming into and out of the Vortech MP40. It's also quite active as far as grazing on the wee bit of algae growing on the rocks.

I havent witnessed any highly aggressive behavior lately from anyone but I'm sure that will change when I try to reintroduce the Powder Brown to the main display.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update.

I've built an egg crate acclimation box that will house the powder brown tang and the gold nugget clownfish that have been residing in the sump for the last month. Both of these fish were getting beaten up pretty well back when they were first introduced in early January. Hopefully this will help them both out so they can stay in the main display for the long term.

I'll post a picture of it when the lights come back on.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update.

I've built an egg crate acclimation box that will house the powder brown tang and the gold nugget clownfish that have been residing in the sump for the last month. Both of these fish were getting beaten up pretty well back when they were first introduced in early January. Hopefully this will help them both out so they can stay in the main display for the long term.

I'll post a picture of it when the lights come back on.
I’d try to trap the gold rim in the acclimation area if possible. That powder brown is going to get shredded even worse now that the gold rim is settled in and established its territory. I think the powder brown would have a little better shot if it had time to settle into the main tank while the gold rim was segregated into the acclimation area. I wish you luck.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding separate nori clips has helped me a lot. New mustard and powder blue get chased a little but Achilles eats from one clip and they eat from the other

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try to trap the gold rim in the acclimation area if possible. That powder brown is going to get shredded even worse now that the gold rim is settled in and established its territory. I think the powder brown would have a little better shot if it had time to settle into the main tank while the gold rim was segregated into the acclimation area. I wish you luck.

This! This is what I'm going to try.

As of most of today, the goldrim has been tracking the powder brown from the other side of the prison cell walls.

This goldrim is nasty...

20190209_211512.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! This is what I'm going to try.

As of most of today, the goldrim has been tracking the powder brown from the other side of the prison cell walls.

This goldrim is nasty...

20190209_211512.jpg
If it goes bad I’ve had good luck catching fish with the Gamakatsu hooks on this website. I’ve used them for wrasses, angels, tangs, and damsels. They are so incredibly tiny that they cause basically no damage at all. I’ve caught most fish within a minute or two.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some info, you may be able to have success but it’s gonna take time. I had to divide my tank to keep my powder blue hybrid from killing my Achilles tang. It took several attempts at removing the divider and all told it was pretty close to 4 months they were separated using egg crate. It’s now been roughly 6 months since I took the divider out but they tolerate each other. I feel that the separation only worked as they could see each other and eventually figured out they didn’t have to fight for food. They fight a little every now and then but it’s over quick and then they go back to not caring. Funny thing is neither really ventures to the other side of the tank, it’s like 2 kids who drew an imaginary line where the divider was and as long as you stay on your side I’ll stay on mine and we are good.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting tale. As I'm probably going to have a heck of a time trying to catch the goldrim, I'll likely leave the egg crate acclimation box in place till I see it's aggressive pacing about subside. Hopefully it doesnt take that many months but I'll be patient.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The Goldrim seems to be calming down since I first added the Powder Brown to the social acclimation box. I'm itching to move the Powder Brown out with the other fish but I want to see a full week of the Goldrim not following after the Powder Brown.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things acanthurus is relevant in this thread, my friend.
Appreciate that. I'm currently stocking a 300 gallon with a tang gang.

In the 300 currently are a:
  • Naso (largest and most docile),
  • Blue Hippo (small and docile),
  • Powder Blue (mid-size maniac who attacks his reflection all day long),
  • Blue Throat Trigger (timid)
  • Clownfish (docile), and a
  • Six-Line Wrasse (docile)
In my QT tank currently are:
  • 9 baby Yellows (all know their role as runts),
  • 1 medium Scopas (somewhat aggressive),
  • 1 medium/large Purple (chill, but will defend himself),
  • 1 large Kole (very aggressive towards the Purple), and
  • 1 baby Sohal (unknown temperament, as he's currently in a separate container within the tank, but I'll assume he's on the aggressive side).
  • All but the Scopas were purchased in the last few days. The plan is to watch them for 30 days and then add them as a group to the 300 to minimize aggression since there's no already established territory.
My questions:
  • Will the Sohal and Powder Blue co-exist since they're both Acanthurus (didn't realize this before today since their body shape looked different)?
  • And would it be crazy to attempt to add a Clown Tang to the mix, assuming I get him quickly so I can QT them all together? I initially didn't plan on it, but seeing this thread now makes me curious.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to imagine that adding another Acanthurus to an established and a very aggressive Powder Blue is likely to be a problem. The Clown tang is potentially even more aggressive than anything else you'll have in that tank. @4FordFamily may provide you with further info for discussion.

On a side note, and some sad news, the Powder Brown, who was transferred back to the sump, had likely been injured by a Fluval power head that had fallen on the poor tang. When I went to feed him a few mornings ago, it didnt come out to beg for food. I later found em in the filter sock area and a goner. ☹

The other two, the Goldrim and Achilles, are getting along just fine.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to imagine that adding another Acanthurus to an established and a very aggressive Powder Blue is likely to be a problem. The Clown tang is potentially even more aggressive than anything else you'll have in that tank. @4FordFamily may provide you with further info for discussion.

On a side note, and some sad news, the Powder Brown, who was transferred back to the sump, had likely been injured by a Fluval power head that had fallen on the poor tang. When I went to feed him a few mornings ago, it didnt come out to beg for food. I later found em in the filter sock area and a goner. [emoji852]

The other two, the Goldrim and Achilles, are getting along just fine.
Bummer.

Just curious, How does a powerhead fall on a tang? I mean, if I put a tang in a 5g bucket, half full of water, I don't think I could hit it if I tried 100x.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back