Three Acanthurus tangs walk into a bar...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you feed adequately and provide hiding, they will be fine.
Never enough tangs

360e.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous! Lov the tangs! I sure hope mine do well in new 300gal!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try live blackworms. Only thing my Achilles ate his first few weeks in my DT. After the initial 2 weeks he’d gobble everything up :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthurus tangs that are stubborn and not eating often eat live brine. Almost as critical is small pieces of red and green nori. Red seems to work better. Also try rubber banding nori to rocks.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo and a Yellow Eye Kole tang already reside in the 220. A Naso and a Moorish Idol will be introduced in the next few weeks after graduating from QT. The Acanthurus tanks will need 30 days in a therapeutic level of Cupramine and that clock hasn't begun yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous! Lov the tangs! I sure hope mine do well in new 300gal!

Feed sparingly, introduce the more peaceful first and allow good hiding and water chemistry and you are set. In a 300g, I am confident you will do well with your fulfillment

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping multiple acan. tangs is not that hard. The key is having food available throughout the day and multiple locations. I have done it myself and know other people who have done it as well. When first introducing a new tang they go in behind an eggcrate divider that allows everyone to get used to eachother with nori inside the enclosure and at least 2 stations outside of it. I put several/about 6-7 very small sheets (about 1"x1") folded over so no more than 1/2" extends beyond the clip line. It can stay in the tank all day and not end up floating all over from falling apart. The density of the folds and having a few stations throughout the tank provide constant quality grazing and no need for anyone to be territorial over food, which is what the aggression is behind.

In this case, starting all 3 at once is wise, but I would add another station and a powerhead in there. The small space of the 29 can easily be compensated with a power head to create a good swimming lane. I do this for all of my tanks and have for nearly 20 years now. They LOVE it.

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing them with us!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works! Keep us updated! I’ve got a Caribbean blue in quarantine as he was being very aggressive and chasing my yellow for days. Plan to put in new 300 with very large Sohal! Wish me luck too! Lol

Keep an eye on that Caribbean Blue tang. Mine killed a larger Gold Rim. I ended up rehoming him due to him picking on a few other fish in my tank. May have just been a bad individual.

anson2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also give Easy Reef a try, I stick it on the rocks, and my achilles gobbled it up. Now he goes through two sheets of nori a day!

I also predict the Achilles will be king.

um02122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are the best.
Wouldn't quarantining each in a separate tank offer a better chance of success?

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are the best.
Wouldn't quarantining each in a separate tank offer a better chance of success?
I may just separate all three as soon as I get the chance, I've got 2 other tanks being taken up at the moment though.

I just finished a tank divider. Currently the Powder Brown and Goldrim are on one side with the Achilles on the other. Each side has it's own nori clip and pvc shelter.

20181128_013220.jpg

I'm going to send my wife on a goose chase tomorrow for live blood worms and/or live brine to see if I can jump start regular feeding.

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is good luck, feed often. Introducing them at the same time is probably the best move.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just separate all three as soon as I get the chance, I've got 2 other tanks being taken up at the moment though.

I just finished a tank divider. Currently the Powder Brown and Goldrim are on one side with the Achilles on the other. Each side has it's own nori clip and pvc shelter.

20181128_013220.jpg

I'm going to send my wife on a goose chase tomorrow for live blood worms and/or live brine to see if I can jump start regular feeding.
I order live blackworms online, and believe live brine can be had online as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back